Advertising Standards Authority bans iPhone Ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A television advert for Apple's iPhone has been banned after the official watchdog ruled that it misled viewers.

The advert for the handset showed the phone in someone's hand and a finger touching the different icons on the main page.

The voice-over then boasts about how iPhone owners can access "all parts" of the internet at a touch of a button.

Customers complained that the claim was untrue because the iPhone did not support Flash or Java, two pieces of software needed to watch some online videos and access some websites.

full story...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected...niphone126.xml

I already have a beef with Advertising Standards Authority, so they are gonna get it in the neck from me for this.

to complain..

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_com...mplaints_form/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

A television advert for Apple's iPhone has been banned after the official watchdog ruled that it misled viewers.

The advert for the handset showed the phone in someone's hand and a finger touching the different icons on the main page.

The voice-over then boasts about how iPhone owners can access "all parts" of the internet at a touch of a button.

Customers complained that the claim was untrue because the iPhone did not support Flash or Java, two pieces of software needed to watch some online videos and access some websites.

full story...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected...niphone126.xml

I already have a beef with Advertising Standards Authority, so they are gonna get it in the neck from me for this.

to complain..

I see you point. Even full fledged Mac Pro's and Dells can't access all parts of the internet. There are some computers out there that don't have flash and java, along with other limitations due to bandwidth, OS, and/or age of the machine. Kinda a crap point on their part.

This is the same country that gave Mr. T down the road for his Snickers commercial? I pity the fool!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I see you point. Even full fledged Mac Pro's and Dells can't access all parts of the internet. There are some computers out there that don't have flash and java, along with other limitations due to bandwidth, OS, and/or age of the machine. Kinda a crap point on their part.

Exactly, its ridiculous. No browser/device whatsoever can access "all parts of the internet", the iPhone is the best representation of the internet on-the-go, on any device that has ever existed.

Flash is just another plugin among many that constitutes the mish mash of technologies that make up the web.

Cutting a long story short, the 'Advertising Standards Authority' are not sufficiently clued up on the subject and have been lobbied by various companies that fear the impending iphone dominance.

Rather than developing their own competing products, they spew FUD.

What a load of crap.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

to complain..

Just saw this, and thanks for the ASA link, but that complaint form is to complain about an Ad, not complain about the ASA being assholes and taking the wrong action because they really don't know what they are talking about.

Their action is like saying a cup cannot be advertised as a liquid container because it won't hold liquid helium.

can't think of a better analogy, and apparently Car analogies are best
  • Reply 4 of 8
    In all seriousness though, it IS wrong to say the iPhone can access all parts of the internet, as it clearly can't and doesn't. It's outright false advertising, so of course the advert should be removed! All they need to do is say 'many parts' of the internet, and all is well.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I have no problem accessing tons of sites, though not all images on those sites show up on my iPhone...

not to mention my iMac, my wife's PC, the PCs at work...

Choices the creators made limit access to some people with certain systems and software, regardless of what platform.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I have no problem accessing tons of sites, though not all images on those sites show up on my iPhone...

not to mention my iMac, my wife's PC, the PCs at work...

Choices the creators made limit access to some people with certain systems and software, regardless of what platform.

Normally, however, there is a way to update and install addons to those PCs that do allow you to see the content.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Normally, however, there is a way to update and install addons to those PCs that do allow you to see the content.

Often made by third parties.

Isn't Adobe working on Flash for the iPhone? Apple might cave and let 'em go ahead. Somebody might come up with a viewer and place it on the App Store; the Store is still in its infancy (though some great apps are already out) and great things are coming.

However, as with all advertising, a customer should use his/her brain and check specs to see i they fit their needs. People here on AI have moaned till eternity froze about the short-comings of the MacBook Air, but as a user, I can attest to its capabilities as far as they meet my needs; it won't fit some people's needs.

Personally, I don't care for a lot of Flash animation on the Net and am glad not to spend the download time needed to see it. The meat of the page, however, is usually in the text explaining the graphic.

---- EDIT

Oops: Looks like Adobe is going towards Windoze Mobile.

http://9to5mac.com/flash_phone_no
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Oops: Looks like Adobe is going towards Windoze Mobile.

good riddance