Apple iPhone ad banned in UK due to "misleading" claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 173
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Now if only the ASA could do something about all these ISPs/mobile operators claiming to offer "unlimited" services...

Have you laid a complaint?
  • Reply 22 of 173
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

It's a very valid complaint. 90%+ of "professional" websites using Flash in one form or another - including AI. The iPhone doesn't give you the whole of the web (let alone the Internet) and that's a fact.

What? 90% of sites are somehow deficient because you can't see flash content on the iPhone? Do you work for Adobe?

If I designed a website that relied on Flash then I'd quickly lose a client. I think you'll find it's more like 90% of sites (if not more) function just fine without Flash.

AI's only use of Flash is advertising and it's not really a bad thing that they don't show as far as a visitor is concerned. It's possibly a bad thing for advertisers and AI although I'm sure they could show GIF animations if the user-agent of the browser showed it was an iPhone. Same for NetNewsWire on the desktop which switches off Flash and Java by default and is why I tend to spend most of my browsing time in that and not Safari.
  • Reply 23 of 173
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

It's a very valid complaint. 90%+ of "professional" websites using Flash in one form or another - including AI. The iPhone doesn't give you the whole of the web (let alone the Internet) and that's a fact.

Now if only the ASA could do something about all these ISPs/mobile operators claiming to offer "unlimited" services...

90%??? Please! Maybe if you count advertising. I want flash on the iphone just as much as the next guy, but your "facts" needs some serious backing up. There are an aweful lot of websites that do not use flash.
  • Reply 24 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would be neat if Apple could somehow run Flash within Quick Time the same way Flip4Mac handles .wmv and .avi files.

It would be even better if doing so would not drain your battery.

While it may be true that some sites have a use for flash and write it in a good way, there are too many sites using flash that clearly do not know how to code and whack your cpu and memory usage on your computer. (making it really bad for a cell phone)

The people pushing flash that use "90% of the sites use flash" as an arguement need to remember they are arguing in favor of flashy ads embedded in so many click-through sites.

Since the ability to disable those sections of websites is one of the most requested features of browsers like FF, arguing that they are required for the "web experience" is silly.

Many people go out of their way to install a totally separate browser just to get the stupid flash disabled. And to say even AppleInsider uses flash, is outright stupid. It is the single most annoying thing about AppleInsider and not something to complain about not having enough of.

"Jeepers Mr. Wilson, I had no idea!...... That's right Dennis, now you go along and play."
  • Reply 25 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

That's right, before Flash and Java we didn't have the full Internet, we had 300 baud modems and bulletin boards. Who is the sysop over in the UK anyway?

300 baud modems? Luxury!

We never had 300 baud modems when I was a kid. My father used to make us string up two paper cups wit bit of damp sisal between them and shout gopher* protocol packets down t'line.

* also missing from the iPhone
  • Reply 26 of 173
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:

It would seem it only takes 2 people to make their complaint to the ASA to have them do something about it. I agree unlimited should mean unlimited, they must issue different dictionaries to mine when you study advertising 101.
  • Reply 27 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would be neat if Apple could somehow run Flash within QuickTime the same way Flip4Mac handles .wmv and .avi files.

That's how it used to work back in Quicktime 4-ish days.
  • Reply 28 of 173
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Actually, it is half the price.

(you do the math)

Apple never advertised the cost of the plan with the old phone, and doesn't now either.

The fact that (in the U.S.) AT&T is sticking it to you is not something Apple has concern

over any more than Nokia or Rimm do. (which of course, they are sticking it to those

users also....)

The first 8 gig iPhone cost $600

The new 8 gig iPhone costs $200

That's half?
  • Reply 29 of 173
    So I take it that the iPod Touch has the same limitations- no flash? Bummer.
  • Reply 30 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The first 8 gig iPhone cost $600

The new 8 gig iPhone costs $200

That's half?

You been in a cave for a year?

Apple hasn't charged 600 bucks for a 8 gig iPhone for a looooong time.

Wake up Sparkey, you missed a lot of price cuts already not just the latest 50%.....
  • Reply 31 of 173
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

90%??? Please! Maybe if you count advertising. I want flash on the iphone just as much as the next guy, but your "facts" needs some serious backing up. There are an aweful lot of websites that do not use flash.

Yes, I count advertising in that figure. No advertising = no revenue = no website.
  • Reply 32 of 173
    Quote:

So I take it that the iPod Touch has the same limitations- no flash? Bummer.

There are a lot of people in this world.

There are people who care about flash.

There just are not a lot of people in this world that care about flash.

Get over it...... I know, it's a bummer for you but wait to you

find out about Santa Clause. Now THAT'S a REAL bummer.
  • Reply 33 of 173
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Well, it's good to see a UK body doing something. Now, who's in charge of giving O2 and CarphoneWarehouse a hard kick in the butt for the crappy iPhone 3G rollout in July? Hmm.. maybe that's water under the bridge for many people...
  • Reply 34 of 173
    Quote:

Yes, I count advertising in that figure. No advertising = no revenue = no website.

No users, = no revenue, = websites that do not matter.

Reminds me of a developer that was big on focusing on building for T-Mobiles U.S. handsets.

The guy said "Do we want to build for one handset (iPhone) or an ENTIRE CARRIER!"

Of course, the iPhone will have more users for the one handset than the entire U.S. T-Mobile

customer base for all handsets they have surfing the web!

So before you say this kind of stuff like there won't be any websites with clicky ads that are flashed based, you need to think it through.

And of course, if Google continues to go down the path of allowing anything a developer wants to do on a phone to run with multiple things at once, the press reports of poor battery usage with be deafening.

Go ahead, complain about flash.

When you take your cell phone to a site that uses tons of memory and spins your processor up on your phone and uses up your battery, you'll be happy you have that

"open community" that is responsible for so many mainstream products. What? None? Or yea....
  • Reply 35 of 173
    Quote:

You been in a cave for a year?

Apple hasn't charged 600 bucks for a 8 gig iPhone for a looooong time.

Wake up Sparkey, you missed a lot of price cuts already not just the latest 50%.....

Ok - then -so how much is the subsidy on the iPhone vs the last model? How do you know it's half the price? Prove it.
  • Reply 36 of 173
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    not having flash is a good thing folks.

You will be glad in a few years when flash is dead and buried.

I develop flash sites, but i do not let that cloud my judgement.
  • Reply 37 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

not having flash is a good thing folks.

You will be glad in a few years when flash is dead and buried.

I develop flash sites, but i do not let that cloud my judgement.

What will replace it then? And why is it bad to not have it?
  • Reply 38 of 173
    Quote:

Ok - then -so how much is the subsidy on the iPhone vs the last model? How do you know it's half the price? Prove it.

The price?

The price is what you pay for something.

Only a putz is going to focus on what APPLE gets paid.

Correction:Only a jeolous putz is going to focus on what APPLE gets paid.

So let's focus on the price.

The price was 399.

The price is now 199.

Won't quibble over it being LESS than half the price.

You walk into Apple, hand them 199 bucks, you walk out with an iPhone.

You want to argue over the sales tax?

The contract length?

The contract itself?

Fine.

The advertised price, was 399 and now it's 199.

You say it's not.... YOU prove it!

(without referencing money that Apple doesn't charge)
  • Reply 39 of 173
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

And of course, if Google continues to go down the path of allowing anything a developer wants to do on a phone to run with multiple things at once, the press reports of poor battery usage with be deafening.

Really? Flash, Java and background tasks are all possible on Nokia's latest smartphones. How many reports of poor battery life have you heard about the Nokia, say, E71? The only times I've heard complaints is when Nokia have chosen to include a ridiculously small battery (i.e. the N95).

Battery life seems to be a catch-all excuse for all of the iPhone's current limitations. If battery life is such a concern, why bother with a 3.5" color screen?
  • Reply 40 of 173
    We're not here to argue about whether flash is a good thing or not. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Regardless of this, Apple's claim that 'all parts of the internet are on the iPhone' is false, and hence the advert has been pulled for false advertising and misleading customers. All they need to do is say 'most parts of the internet are on the iPhone'. It might not sound as good, but at least it's honest!