Apple iPhone ad banned in UK due to "misleading" claims

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The right approach to fixing this issue is to stop people using Flash and Java on their websites.

Would that be before or after we all agree that the world is flat?
  • Reply 62 of 173
    The UK add regulators are RIGHT! A product should be able to do what the add claims, end of story. Too bad we don't have that kind of add regulation in the U.S, I can't even count how many bogus claims are made by advertisers pushing their crappy products here.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Really? Flash, Java and background tasks are all possible on Nokia's latest smartphones. How many reports of poor battery life have you heard about the Nokia, say, E71? The only times I've heard complaints is when Nokia have chosen to include a ridiculously small battery (i.e. the N95).

Battery life seems to be a catch-all excuse for all of the iPhone's current limitations. If battery life is such a concern, why bother with a 3.5" color screen?

GAME, SET, MATCH in a no contest game for RichL. It is sooo easy be right.
  • Reply 64 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

If you are having a hard time reading what I said, go back and read it again but try it slowly this time. I said that my N82 can work with more sites that my iPhone. DId you miss that? DId I go to fast? I thought I made it pretty clear. I will try to include slides next time so as to not confuse you..

So while Nokia won't make that claim.... YOU think you can?

Again, I didn't say the iPhone gets more sites.

I didn't say the Nokia gets more sites.

I said you have a problem with what the iPhone said, and I said YOU can't say what the iPhone said about your Nokia.

No matter how slow you read, you seem to still have trouble.\

You obviously are a Nokia person with iPhone envy, we all understand that.

You just need to get over it.
  • Reply 65 of 173
    Quote:

GAME, SET, MATCH in a no contest game for RichL. It is sooo easy be right.

Bingo!
  • Reply 66 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

After two complaints?

That's one more than required. The ASA have to look into every complaint.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

What on earth do burger joints advertise there?

Generally they don't make claims that can not be backed up so they end up advertising a burger and a price rather than claiming it's healthy or the cheapest or the largest. It's been that way since way before McLibel too.

Apple got caught out for using a nonsense phrase that was easily disputable. They've been caught out before such as when they claimed the G5 PowerMac was the fastest computer available. Technically I think they were correct and the ASA (and Dell - the complainant) wrong but it was a fine line that would be lost on most consumers and by the time the ads ran here there were faster Intel desktop computers available.

Up until recently you weren't allowed to compare your product to a competitors product in an advert either but that rule seems to have been relaxed which is a shame as it's meant negative advertising has leaked on to the TV. The Mac v PC adverts would be unheard of only a few years ago and I suspect part of the reasoning they were pulled in the UK was that we just don't like people taking pot shots at each other in adverts. If you've nothing nice to say, best not say it. That and the UK choice of actors but with more or less the same US scripts were just embarrassingly wrong.
  • Reply 67 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Generally they don't make claims that can not be backed up so they end up advertising a burger and a price rather than claiming it's healthy or the cheapest or the largest. It's

Up until recently you weren't allowed to compare your product to a competitors product in an advert either but that rule seems to have been relaxed which is a shame as it's meant negative advertising has leaked on to the TV. The Mac v PC adverts would be unheard of only a few years ago and I suspect part of the reasoning they were pulled in the UK was that we just don't like people taking pot shots at each other in adverts. If you've nothing nice to say, best not say it. That and the UK choice of actors but with more or less the same US scripts were just embarrassingly wrong.

I do find it interesting that it appears that society as descibed is striving for civility, when the newspapers seem to take fair game fair play in pretty outrageous reporting on the supposed sex lives of the rich and famous and powerful and royal. Maybe if a few laws in that direction had been employed a few years back Diana would still be alive.......
  • Reply 68 of 173
    Can anything do everything it claims? I dont think anything can.

Car: Drive on all roads : what about vertical roads?

TV: Watch all TV stations : what about digital? or Kazakhstan TV

Toothbrush: Clean all teeth : what about the teeth that are underneath the milk teeth in children?

Pen : writes on all surfaces: what about the surface of water?

Calculator : calculate all your calculations : how about calculating pi?

I can think of an obscure reason why pretty much anything may have dubious use of the word 'all' in advertisements.

Common sense ladies and gentleman please.
  • Reply 69 of 173
    Apple lied?!

Now there's a first!
  • Reply 70 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What will replace it then?

html 5, svg etc

give it about 6 months and apple will release a timeline based editor, i betcha.

Apple are storming forward with the new standards at the mo, a slick dev app is inevitable as adobe sure aint gonna make it! And it is strategically important for them to combat silverwotsit and flasher.
  • Reply 71 of 173
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Java and Flash aren't part (or parts) of the Internet.
  • Reply 72 of 173
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple ad aside, what a novel concept ... 'Advertising Standards'! If they introduced 'Truth in advertising' laws here in US we'd have about four ads left!

Actually, I think that the US ads are much more truthful. American carriers would never advertise their 3G networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps. American carriers would always tell you the peak speed and the average speed (which for 3G is around 700-1000 mbps).
  • Reply 73 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

So while Nokia won't make that claim.... YOU think you can?

I am not selling anything so I can say what I want. You don't get that? I did however say that my N82 can process more sites than the iPhone this is a fact. To fast for you? Three times now I make the same claim. Hopefully 3 times it the charm for you. Hell, here again for you but slower: My Nokia N82 can process more sites than the iPhone. Slow enough I hope. If not, go back and read the words one at a time or have someone explain it to you.

Quote:

Again, I didn't say the iPhone gets more sites.

I didn't say the Nokia gets more sites.

I said you have a problem with what the iPhone said, and I said YOU can't say what the iPhone said about your Nokia.

You really don't say much of anything. However your bloviation skills are spot on.

Quote:

No matter how slow you read, you seem to still have trouble.\

You obviously are a Nokia person with iPhone envy, we all understand that.

You just need to get over it.

I am a phone person with several phones Nokia and the iPhone just happen to be several that I currently own. Another false assumption on your part. Hint: when you are in a hole, stop digging.

It has to really hurt being you.

Did I go too fast for you?
  • Reply 74 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Actually, I think that the US ads are much more truthful. American carriers would never advertise their 3G networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps. American carriers would always tell you the peak speed and the average speed (which for 3G is around 700-1000 mbps).

Good point.

Long time no see....
  • Reply 75 of 173
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The Mac v PC adverts would be unheard of only a few years ago and I suspect part of the reasoning they were pulled in the UK was that we just don't like people taking pot shots at each other in adverts. If you've nothing nice to say, best not say it. That and the UK choice of actors but with more or less the same US scripts were just embarrassingly wrong.

I thought the choice of actors was superb from a neutral perspective but a little odd from Apple's point of view.

For the UK adverts, Apple chose a pair of comedic actors called Mitchell and Webb. They're best known for a sitcom called Peep Show and most people who saw the ads probably thought "Hey, it's Mark and Jeremy!" rather than "Hey, it's Mitchell and Webb!".

Here's the blurb for Peep Show:

Quote:

Meet Mark (David Mitchell) and Jeremy (Robert Webb). Mark's the sensible one, a working professional with a slightly disconcerting interest in WWII. Jeremy is a lazy waster with half-arsed dreams of becoming a musician but can never get his act together.

You can guess which actor plays which role in the TV ads. Perhaps Jeremy is a little too close to the negative stereotype of Mac users for the ads to have the necessary impact that Apple had intended.
  • Reply 76 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Java and Flash aren't part (or parts) of the Internet.

what is anything? are you certain you are alive? am i a brain stimulated by electrical pulses in a pickling jar in 2078 AD?

The only thing i know for certain is that nothing is certain.
  • Reply 77 of 173
    Quote:

Did I go too fast for you?

You can never go too fast when going in a circle.

(apparently....)
  • Reply 78 of 173
    good for the Brits.

the ad IS misleading. period.

just like when IiPHONE launched here in the US. all this talk about a full brower and real surfing experience in your pocket.... they forgot to mention no Flash. LOL

and as suspected all the fanboys are up in arms LOL!!!
  • Reply 79 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You can never go too fast when going in a circle.

(apparently....)

Universal translation: Sapporobaby kicked my ass again. I better resort to changing the subject otherwise my lack of knowledge will become even more apparent.
  • Reply 80 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

good for the Brits.

the ad IS misleading. period.

just like when IiPHONE launched here in the US. all this talk about a full brower and real surfing experience in your pocket.... they forgot to mention no Flash. LOL

and as suspected all the fanboys are up in arms LOL!!!

Sooooo true. Tell home boy from Jumpin' Jersey.