What if you replaced the trackpad with an iphone/touch?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So a while back there was some rumor about a transparent trackpad on the new MacBooks/Pros.

What if it's true and the reason is to provide a dock in which the iphone/ipod touch can function as a multi-touch trackpad with some funky visual feedback/interactivity?

Hell, what if they make a netbook version that relies on the iphone/touch for it's main computer functions and simply adds a keyboard, larger screen, extended battery, ports, and maybe some auxillary graphics processing.

Such a beast could be cost competitive with the OLPC and would kick the crap out of the existing netbooks especially if the rumored $199 ipodtouch pricing is true.

And it would make a tablet a lot more doable. Basically just pop your iphone/touch into a tablet adapter to supersize it.

I want

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    That hurts my brain. Seems sort of un-apple like.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    That's a stupid idea. What happens when it gets lost/stolen/broken?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

That's a stupid idea. What happens when it gets lost/stolen/broken?

Hmm, I'd imagine what would happen would be the same thing that would happen if any item was lost/stolen/broken. You'd get a new one, maybe?

Don't see why it is any more stupid than having an external poweradapter in that respect.

I understand some opposition to complicating the MacBook/Pro designs, but you gotta admit that the idea could make a lot of sense for a netbook. In such a scenario, the iphone/touch IS the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

Hmm, I'd imagine what would happen would be the same thing that would happen if any item was lost/stolen/broken. You'd get a new one, maybe?

Don't see why it is any more stupid than having an external poweradapter in that respect.

I understand some opposition to complicating the MacBook/Pro designs, but you gotta admit that the idea could make a lot of sense for a netbook. In such a scenario, the iphone/touch IS the computer.

It doesn't make sense to use iPods/iPhones. Apple could put in a display with touch for the same relative loss as putting a gaping hole in their MacBooks.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    A special online iPod store you can trust, we provide the best original Apple iPod products with a favourable price lower by 20%-50% than any other Apple or eBay retail stores around the world. We have unbeatable after sale service and fast delivery. 80% of the eBay sellers dealing in iPod accessories are provided by us.

Our products include: iPod player and iPod Touch\\iPod 5G/Video\\iPod Classic\\iPod nano\\iPod Minihousing、screen and other accessories .

All our iPod products are 100% Genuine & Original Apple made!

Our store: www.itopstore.com

Welcome to my store!

Hot Line: +86-539-8109185

MSN: [email protected]

Email: [email protected]

Vip Service Email: [email protected]
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Might be vaporware and I kinda expect it is because you would almost certianly have to use jailbroke iphones, but judge for yourself...

OLO
  • Reply 8 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nordstrodamus View Post

Might be vaporware and I kinda expect it is because you would almost certianly have to use jailbroke iphones, but judge for yourself...

OLO

It's gonna be sluggish.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myst View Post

It doesn't make sense to use iPods/iPhones. Apple could put in a display with touch for the same relative loss as putting a gaping hole in their MacBooks.

Could you clarify this statement?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The only solution is to make a touch-screen tablet. What's the point of having a "touch screen" if you are not directly interacting with the computer. It's like using your computer from a different location. When they do this touch stuff on a Mac for real, they'll go the whole hog and make a tailored version of the OS for the thing, and install it on a new piece of hardware, a.k.a. Mac touch.

Good idea:

(10" screen, software-keyboard, pop-out rear rest.)

Bad idea:

Think differently.