Apple iPhone ad banned in UK due to "misleading" claims

Comments

• Reply 141 of 173
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

It's because Flash is a barely-functional, bloated resource hog (like all of Adobe's products) that makes browsing on any computer a living hell. The Flash Light that Apple could fit on the iPhone and other cell phones have is not Flash, properly so called, and wouldn't do you much good. No mobile device can run full Flash or come within miles of having the system resources to do so.

**Shrugs shoulders**

In all my years of using Windows, I haven't had problems with flash advertising or flash sites causing resources problems since around Windows 98 SE and the early Windows 2000 days. Since then, it's just been a pretty stable platform.

Hell, even on my MSI Wind which has a puny single-core 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB of memory, I've never had a problem with flash content or resource hogging when running in Windows XP.

Maybe it's just a Mac thing
  • Reply 142 of 173
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

Well, in my observation, it's you who does all the flaming. Anyone who dares to question any of your tirades is immediately accused of being too stupid to understand it, needing someone to read it for them, etc., etc.

Thanks for the input. Being as astute as you are, I cordially invite you to pick a post or two where I initiated any flaming tirade. A couple should be enough. These are your observations as you put it.

Quote:

P. S. Just to save time: Yes, we get it! They like Nokia in Finland. Those of us who were going to keel over with a coronary from that shocking bit of news already did so a long time ago, so there's no need to keep posting it!

p.p.s I could not care less what they love in Finland as I only live here currently. I will be moving along once my next assignment comes in. So, don't keel over, unless you want to. Either way it would not matter to me one bit.
  • Reply 143 of 173
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

I see the double standards people are out in full force again! My Sunday paper is full of cellphone ads: $199! $99! $49! FREE! 2 of them for FREE! 5 of them for FREE! This apparently somehow doesn't constitute false advertising. Yet Apple and Apple alone should be required to advertise: "Only $2600 for two years of service!" Please, people, buy a clue somewhere!

Two wrongs don't make a right. False advertising is false advertising. The US is full of this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it up. A half truth is still a lie.
  • Reply 144 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Thanks for the input. Being as astute as you are, I cordially invite you to pick a post or two where I initiated any flaming tirade. A couple should be enough. These are your observations as you put it.

Well, from this thread alone:

Quote:

If you are having a hard time reading what I said, go back and read it again but try it slowly this time. I said that my N82 can work with more sites that my iPhone. DId you miss that? DId I go to fast? I thought I made it pretty clear. I will try to include slides next time so as to not confuse you..

Quote:

I am not selling anything so I can say what I want. You don't get that? I did however say that my N82 can process more sites than the iPhone this is a fact. To fast for you? Three times now I make the same claim. Hopefully 3 times it the charm for you. Hell, here again for you but slower: My Nokia N82 can process more sites than the iPhone. Slow enough I hope. If not, go back and read the words one at a time or have someone explain it to you.

Quote:

You really don't say much of anything. However your bloviation skills are spot on.

I am a phone person with several phones Nokia and the iPhone just happen to be several that I currently own. Another false assumption on your part. Hint: when you are in a hole, stop digging.

It has to really hurt being you.

Did I go too fast for you?

Quote:

Universal translation: Sapporobaby kicked my ass again. I better resort to changing the subject otherwise my lack of knowledge will become even more apparent.

Quote:

Sorry but you have me confused. I never mentioned half the cost. You seem to be lost in your own spiral of ignorance.

You might remember, I was one of many here that have refuted and debunked another of your wasted arguments. Refresher: Nokia never said they had flash. Go back and read the thread or have someone do it for you.

• Reply 145 of 173
    Quote:

Well, from this thread alone:

Too bad you started in the middle but I expected no less.

Do you have anything else to add? This is getting boring.
  • Reply 146 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Two wrongs don't make a right. False advertising is false advertising. The US is full of this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it up. A half truth is still a lie.

You could not have stated it better. Apple does not need to resort to "fancy" words or misleading info to sell their products. Generally they sell themselves. It seems that Apple is following the same line that M$ has used but to its detriment. I expect Apple to be better than this.
  • Reply 147 of 173
    Quote:

Too bad you started in the middle but I expected no less.

In the middle of what? Do you even know what you're reading? Do you even recognize what you've written? Is some adolescent using your screen name to post these mean-spirited diatribes? Enlighten us!

Quote:

Do you have anything else to add? This is getting boring.

Not as boring as reading your broken-record rants.
  • Reply 148 of 173
    Quote:

In the middle of what? Do you even know what you're reading? Do you even recognize what you've written? Is some adolescent using your screen name to post these mean-spirited diatribes? Enlighten us!

Not as boring as reading your broken-record rants.

ZZZZZZZZ....... Wake me when you have something valuable to say.
  • Reply 149 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Agreed: The US is full of false advertising. So the Apple-bashers on this forum have decided that Apple should be the one company that's required to quote the Total Cost of Ownership in their ads, instead of the up-front price, like all the others do. Yeah, that's fair. And I'm sure it'd go over big with the consumers!
  • Reply 150 of 173
    Quote:

Agreed: The US is full of false advertising. So the Apple-bashers on this forum have decided that Apple should be the one company that's required to quote the Total Cost of Ownership in their ads, instead of the up-front price, like all the others do. Yeah, that's fair. And I'm sure it'd go over big with the consumers!

It's not fair that Apple is held to a higher standard than everyone else. However Apple tends to hold itself to a higher standard. With that comes responsibility and one eye always looking over your shoulder. Apple made a very dumb and very broad claim. They should simply reshoot the ad with different wording and not skip a beat. Most people wouldn't even notice.
  • Reply 151 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

My only problem really is when errors, flaws, mistakes, misjudgments, suddenly become features and anyone that speaks against this branded Mac haters and immediately flamed upon. Also there are those who seem to believe that Steve jobs is their friend and actually looking out for the "little" guy. Steve Jobs is a salesman who's loyalty is to his current wife, his children, and the shareholders. Not necessarily in that order.

I feel people fully acknowledge when Apple has made mistakes. When this happens people who are often negative blow the mistake out of proportion.

In reality Apple has made severe mistakes before and survived them.

Having been labeled a fanboy. I have never criticized anyone for simply criticizing Apple. People are free to have an opinion and free to dislike Apple.

More often the point of contention comes when someone makes an unsupported or uninformed accusation about Apple. Basically I'm questioning that accusation and asking them to back it up with evidence. More times than not they have no supportive evidence and fall back on accusing me of being an Apple cheerleader.
  • Reply 152 of 173
    Quote:

Apple tends to hold itself to a higher standard.

It is nice of you to agree that the Apple standard is higher and not just different.

It is of course very different from that other world were you don't DARE use a product

until at least service pack two comes out.

If MicroSoft raised their standards a little they wouldn't need to spend a billion bucks on the xBox recall campaign or be stuck with the most replaced operating system is computer history. (removal of Vista and replaced with XP)

And you won't see advertising spelling this out.

I trust when Seinfeld starts his ads for MicroSoft, you'll be sure to come back hear and explain to us all about how that also is false advertising.....
  • Reply 153 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Only on an Apple forum can there be such an almighty argument over something so simple and relatively clear cut. It really is no wonder that Apple fanboys have such a bad reputation.

Its more a matter of semantics. Apple could be more specific and say mobile safari supports official web standards. But it does not support every web plug-in or media codec. What part of this is the "real internet" can be up for debate.
  • Reply 154 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

It is nice of you to agree that the Apple standard is higher and not just different.

It is of course very different from that other world were you don't DARE use a product

until at least service pack two comes out.

Is that a collective "you" or "you" as directed at me?

Quote:

If MicroSoft raised their standards a little they wouldn't need to spend a billion bucks on the xBox recall campaign or be stuck with the most replaced operating system is computer history. (removal of Vista and replaced with XP)

They can do whatever they want. My money is loyal to what works. If M$ comes out with something better than Apple, they will get my money. Bottom line.

Quote:

And you won't see advertising spelling this out.

I trust when Seinfeld starts his ads for MicroSoft, you'll be sure to come back hear and explain to us all about how that also is false advertising.....

Once again is that a collective "you"? I assume you meant the word: "here" but that's okay. Why would I come back and explain anything to you or anyone else?
  • Reply 155 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I feel people fully acknowledge when Apple has made mistakes. When this happens people who are often negative blow the mistake out of proportion.

In reality Apple has made severe mistakes before and survived them.

Having been labeled a fanboy. I have never criticized anyone for simply criticizing Apple. People are free to have an opinion and free to dislike Apple.

More often the point of contention comes when someone makes an unsupported or uninformed accusation about Apple. Basically I'm questioning that accusation and asking them to back it up with evidence. More times than not they have no supportive evidence and fall back on accusing me of being an Apple cheerleader.

To sum it up, your post is very reasonable. By the way, I am looking for that info for you. Wanted to let you know I did not leave you hanging.
  • Reply 156 of 173
    That advertisement could not have possibly created better response than the news of its banning will... overall I'd say Apple wins here.
  • Reply 157 of 173
    (linkback) Huge or Minor? UK bans Apple ad, claiming it misleads [VOTE] - http://www.thriveorfail.com/01ac4
  • Reply 158 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post

That advertisement could not have possibly created better response than the news of its banning will... overall I'd say Apple wins here.

Interesting observation. Another point of view but, won't this also be piled along with the other bad press Apple is getting? Do you think it will just be another "negative" that Apple now has to be on the offensive/defensive for?
  • Reply 159 of 173
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    I love Apple, but they were in the wrong here. The argument about whether Flash or Java count as legitimate web content is moot. If you can't support a claim in your ad, don't run the ad. It would have been so easy to word it in a way that didn't say "all" parts of the internet and then we wouldn't have this discussion at all.

If you have a problem with the rules, argue to change the rules. Don't be upset just because someone enforces the rule.
  • Reply 160 of 173
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its more a matter of semantics. Apple could be more specific and say mobile safari supports official web standards. But it does not support every web plug-in or media codec. What part of this is the "real internet" can be up for debate.

I know..

I wonder why they didn't ban the early iPhone ads that said "The internet in your pocket" since you actually can't put the internet in your pocket!!!

I always thought ads are not contracts but a mean to attract customers into looking at the products or services offered.