Dock feature request/help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a utility that adds the Hide Application feature to the contextual menu of a dock icon? This would help make the dock a lot more useful as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You're right. I was just thinking about this the other day. I think Apple should eliminate the Application menu, and put it all in the contextual menu of the application in the dock. This would be more useful, as you've said.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    A good case study for this would be the Windows Task Bar. Microsoft has done a great job in making that ever so much more useful. It would also be nice to be able to close windows while they're in the dock.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'll still keep lobbying, as long as people keep asking:

i wish they would badge the minimized windows int he dock with the icon of the application to which it is associated (or make this a feature which can be toggled on or off). when i have six windows minimized, it's darned hard to figure out which white boxis a finder window, which is a microsoft word document, a blank painter canvas, etc. without "scrubbing the dock" (and hope that you've given them unique names, and don't just get a bunch of "untitled-1"'s.

so there ya go. finder windows would have the finder smiley face at 16x16 pixels, word docs would have the word "w" at 16x16, and so on.

there's my two cents.

oh, and i'd like the icons to have more behaviors than "bounce" when activated, like "ripple" (well, it is aqua, after all).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I want Apple to be very judicious about what app pop-ups contain by default. With app pop-ups now customizable for content like the iTunes icon, they should be especially careful about making them too long, too thorough. I was partial to adding "Hide" to the app icon, but I'm afraid of getting too fussy like this. As it is, I just use the option key for this. I'm pretty sure that in 10.2, minimized windows have the option to "Close" in their pop-ups. I'd like to see more content in those pop-ups, but make the options customized by the app the window belongs to.