Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

Man, these Macbooks just seem to keep getting delayed over and over. It's ridiculous. First they were supposed to come out shortly after the iphone 3g. Then it was August timeframe. Then it was September. Now they seem to be delayed again, and Appleinsider doesn't have any good sources on this. I want a new Mac!

You are basing the delays on rumors. I think it's absurd to say it's been delayed when they haven't been announced at all. We don't know if there were delays or if the rumor mill has been just speaking rectally.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

Man, these Macbooks just seem to keep getting delayed over and over. It's ridiculous. First they were supposed to come out shortly after the iphone 3g. Then it was August timeframe. Then it was September. Now they seem to be delayed again, and Appleinsider doesn't have any good sources on this. I want a new Mac!

Anyone got any scoops?

If by delayed you mean that tech sites are reporting rumours of impending Mac releases despite all historical and current evidence contradicts these articles, then yes, they are always delayed. If you Google MacRumors Buyers Guide you will see that the release schedule is only now upon us by both days and time of year. If you look at Intel's roadmap you'll find that Apple is using in their current machines the latest mobile processors from Intel that are available.

Edit: Pipped by JeffDM.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the first article I've read that mentions this as a distinct possibility.

I seem to recall that these events have focused on both iPod and notebook updates before. Except for the Nano, I don't foresee any other iPod product getting a facelift so capacity increases and/or rice drops can be quick, with focus on the new and improved Montevina/Penryn notebooks (hopefully with no optical drive... but I wouldn't bet on that).

Quote:

Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.

Plus, BTS schools is almost over. Most semester colleges are already in session. They never release macs right at the end of the BTS season, so AI your closing paragraph is dumb.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Apple only announces 7-8 days in advance, so that gives them till tuesday (since Monday is a holiday).

Best,

Kasper

I recall the big push for a "September" announcement by Apple's CFO was, in some part, due to lackluster performance by Apple's stock after the iPhone release. Note I said recall, not quote. I'm sure part of what I've said is wrong.

What do you make of this announcement if we put that bit of history back into this discussion?

Bummer if the Mac Books are delayed, I'm actually running Panther on my G4 17". We have issues, PB G4 and me, yet it still runs pretty well.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You are kidding , I hope.

In what way?

I know there are people who realise the true cost of the iPhone, and people (like myself) who are on contract (or have no coverage etc).

But I do believe that the "apparent" price drop on the iPhone will affect iPod Touch sales enough to make the current incarnation not worth keeping (for Apple).

I'm interested in knowing of any other reasons people want the iPod Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

1) no contract

2) slimmer form factor

3) While the idea of a 'do-everything' device can be appealing, carrying a separate dumb phone with a cheap plan is fine with me. I don't live and die for phone contact.

I haven't played with an iPod Touch enough to notice the slimmer form (I used it a little before the iPhone was available in Australia, and not since my wife got an iPhone). I thought it was only slightly smaller - but I see from the dimensions it's 2/3 the thickness, and slightly shorter. That could be significantly smaller in the hand. Thanks.

I'm still not sure that that is enough to stop a major portion of the potential buyers going for the "cheap" iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Don't shoot me down all at once but how about Wi-Fi enabled Nanos? The redesign seems to make the connection to the MacBook Air. The projected dent in the margins could come from making all iPods Wi-Fi, and that makes a subscription service suddenly seem a possibility.

End of life classics, iPhone, iTouch, and Air Nanos.

Go ahead, start shooting.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'm still not sure that that is enough to stop a major portion of the potential buyers going for the "cheap" iPhone.

That's the point.

Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible and they're using the iPod touch in countries where they haven't yet nailed down a cellular provider to entice people who have no (easy, legal) access to the iPhone. When the iPhone does reach these countries, many people realize they want their cell phone to work just like their iPod touch...and buy an iPhone. That's one aspect.

While the iPhone appears cheaper than the iPod touch, the iPhone's mandatory $2000 contract (which subsidizes its actual cost), spread out over two years, distances it from the iPod touch's slightly higher upfront cost. Though Apple wants to sell all the iPhones they can because each one makes them considerably more money than each iPod touch sale, they'll gladly sell users tied to Verizon an iPod touch until their contract is up.

There are also simply people who can't afford smart phone data plans, which start around $70/month, ($80/month with taxes), and would rather carry a pre-paid phone and iPod touch.

I'm paraphrasing some of Daniel Eran Dilger's RDM article that debunks Kevin Rose's predictions:

What’s Next from Apple: New iPods Sept 22, iPhone OS 2.1, iTunes 8.0
  • Reply 48 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

In what way?

I know there are people who realise the true cost of the iPhone, and people (like myself) who are on contract (or have no coverage etc).

But I do believe that the "apparent" price drop on the iPhone will affect iPod Touch sales enough to make the current incarnation not worth keeping (for Apple).

I'm interested in knowing of any other reasons people want the iPod Touch.

1.) AT&T sucks. Dropped calls and bad connection.

2.) Not everybody wants :

a.) A Data plan.

b.) Using their phone to play music, surf the web, etc, etc, We prefer the phone itself to take priority (see 1) and besides the other stuff max's out the battery charge.

The iPod touch satisfies many of our needs without compromising our phones.

3.) We don't want to carry a device in our pant pockets with a footprint that large for the same reason we would never carry a wallet 24/7. A smaller phone is perfect for our needs.

The iPod touch is an amazing product from Apple and I cannot wait to see the new version and will buy it posthaste.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    What phone is thinner in a pocket than an iPhone?
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

What phone is thinner in a pocket than an iPhone?

I don't think any smart phone, but there are some regular phones, smaller screens, you know the deal. It's not necessarily about thickness either, most phones have two other dimensions. I do agree in a sense, I really don't think the size really is a big deal in this case.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

For you, what makes the iPod Touch appeal significantly more than just getting an iPhone?

1. No local 3G.

2. Cost. For the cost of one or two months of ATT iPhone service I can get a full year of TracFone service. (I don't use the phone very much.)
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

1. No local 3G.

2. Cost. For the cost of one or two months of ATT iPhone service I can get a full year of TracFone service. (I don't use the phone very much.)

Won't there be a prepaid version of iPhone once the supplies settle? It'll be expensive to buy up-front, but at least the contacts and voicemail should be integrated in the same device.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    I notice none of you seem to value the speaker. If they add a speaker or better yet 2 to the Touch that would be huge. Since I got my iPhone 3G I've found the iPod with a speaker mode to be most valuable 'cause I like it for playing videos without a headset so I can share with others.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Won't there be a prepaid version of iPhone once the supplies settle? It'll be expensive to buy up-front, but at least the contacts and voicemail should be integrated in the same device.

Not sure. The original iPhone offered monthly Pick Your Plan prepaid plans (below), and wasn't the iPhone 2G slightly subsidized? Not nearly as much as the iPhone 3G, but a little? Yet there was no upfront higher cost because you had to fake failing the credit check to get the prepaid plans in the iTunes activation process. I'd sure appreciate it because otherwise, I'll be going with an iPod touch and still having to using my old Nokia cellphone.

• Reply 55 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I notice none of you seem to value the speaker. If they add a speaker or better yet 2 to the Touch that would be huge. Since I got my iPhone 3G I've found the iPod with a speaker mode to be most valuable 'cause I like it for playing videos without a headset so I can share with others.

You may have to wait for 3rd-party attachment. No iPod has ever had a built-it mic and speaker. THe iPhone needs it for making calls so of course it needs it. Of course, if GPS is included, it would also require localised maps to be included along with a speaker. But I highly doubt this option.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There were some rumors a while back but I have heard of no announcements and of course the buy-in cost is nothing but a guess at this time. The only advantage I would get out of the iPhone would be the ability to manage my phone contacts on my Mac.

Woebegon thanks for the info. But even your cheapest plan is three times what I am currently paying. And that isn't even counting voicemail and data charges. So I would still be limiting myself to wifi networks which the Touch uses just fine.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

AI is being sensationalist again as there's nothing "complicated" or "undesirable." During both 2006 and 2007, Apple introed new iPods several days before the Mac w/free iPod promotion ended, so a 9/9 intro is nothing new as this year's promotion ends 9/15.

So my guess is 9/9 for new iPods and 9/24 for new laptops. (Apple has previously introed new laptops in Oct and Nov, so I don't see what the complication is.)

The iPod rebate promotion with a new Mac is tied to certain iPod part numbers. It doesn't include any new models that would be introduced on 9/9 or later. I didn't see where this restriction applies to new models of Mac computers (correct me if I'm wrong), so if they'd want to move old inventory it could be a reason they'd delay updated Macs until after the educational promotion ends on 9/15.