Apple iPhone ad banned in UK due to "misleading" claims

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 173
    I think the UK is lucky to have an advertising regulator that actually cares about the public. I love Apple products but I know too well that they regularly push the boundary of truth in advertising with their marketing claims and I think it's quite reasonable to ban this ad for pushing that boundary too far. It's not the first time Apple has been in trouble from the UK regulator. I haven't seen similar ads in Australia because they mainly just show the product spinning around with catchy music and no details. It's hard to get in trouble when you rely on the sexiness of the product to sell itself.
  • Reply 162 of 173
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I know..

I wonder why they didn't ban the early iPhone ads that said "The internet in your pocket" since you actually can't put the internet in your pocket!!!

I always thought ads are not contracts but a mean to attract customers into looking at the products or services offered.

But this too is still false advertising.
  • Reply 163 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Come on, don't be a baby.

If it was really false advertising, the ad would have been banned in the U.K.....

after all, that's what we use for the standard.
  • Reply 164 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Come on, don't be a baby.

If it was really false advertising, the ad would have been banned in the U.K.....

after all, that's what we use for the standard.

I guess in your myopic view of the world out right lying is no big deal, but where the remotely civil live, lying is sort of a no no.

Anyway, whatever.....
  • Reply 165 of 173
    Quote:

I guess in your myopic view of the world out right lying is no big deal, but where the remotely civil live, lying is sort of a no no.

Anyway, whatever.....

I'm not sure if the "your" you refer to is a collective group or just me.

But in my view, there is a difference between an outright lie and false advertising.

What I would call false advertising is a normal everyday fact.

What violates laws in different places in the world, uses different standards for what it takes to just be a pitch, and what is illegal.

If anyone wants to know just how bad the U.K. thought this advertising was, we will all wait for the baby to tell us what the punitive damages are..... you know.... the fine they had to pay for being such bad people.

Lying is sort of a no no?

Tell that to MicroSoft when the publish numbers on Vista sales that aren't Vista sales but rather Vista shipments that are deleted and replaced with XP.

Tell that to MicroSoft when they publish MS-Money as the #1 money management software in the world, when all that means is they gave it away free on machines like Dell because nobody would actually pay money for it. (and thus MS-Money is the #1 deleted money mangement software in the world)

Tell that to ANYONE that is a Republican and is in favor of their candidates that "advertise" on TV.

Tell that to ANYONE that is a Democrat and is in favor of their candidates that "advertise" on TV.

Oooooohhhhhh.. Lying is a No No.

Baby talk from the baby.

Nice comeback, but when you grow up you will learn about advertising.

If advertising that was misleading was outlawed, there would be no advertising.

Nice try though, the collective "we" will now go back to laughing at you.....

............... .................
  • Reply 166 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

I'm not sure if the "your" you refer to is a collective group or just me.

But in my view, there is a difference between an outright lie and false advertising.

What I would call false advertising is a normal everyday fact.

What violates laws in different places in the world, uses different standards for what it takes to just be a pitch, and what is illegal.

If anyone wants to know just how bad the U.K. thought this advertising was, we will all wait for the baby to tell us what the punitive damages are..... you know.... the fine they had to pay for being such bad people.

Lying is sort of a no no?

Tell that to MicroSoft when the publish numbers on Vista sales that aren't Vista sales but rather Vista shipments that are deleted and replaced with XP.

Tell that to MicroSoft when they publish MS-Money as the #1 money management software in the world, when all that means is they gave it away free on machines like Dell because nobody would actually pay money for it. (and thus MS-Money is the #1 deleted money mangement software in the world)

Tell that to ANYONE that is a Republican and is in favor of their candidates that "advertise" on TV.

Tell that to ANYONE that is a Democrat and is in favor of their candidates that "advertise" on TV.

Oooooohhhhhh.. Lying is a No No.

Baby talk from the baby.

Nice comeback, but when you grow up you will learn about advertising.

If advertising that was misleading was outlawed, there would be no advertising.

Nice try though, the collective "we" will now go back to laughing at you.....

..............: lol:..................

Deleted because of lack of comprehension on the receiving end.
  • Reply 167 of 173
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Then maybe we should start having a computer voice read product spec sheet in ads
  • Reply 168 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Anyway, whatever.....

A lie means to purposefully mislead or decieve. Apple said from the beginning that the iPhone would not support flash or java. They've never said anything to the contrary.

I can agree the ad is ambiguous most people would not understand the context Apple meant it's statement. if you understand that Apple is saying the iPhone fully supports open web standards as the full internet it makes more sense.
  • Reply 169 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

A lie means to purposefully mislead or decieve. Apple said from the beginning that the iPhone would not support flash or java. They've never said anything to the contrary.

I can agree the ad is ambiguous most people would not understand the context Apple meant it's statement. if you understand that Apple is saying the iPhone fully supports open web standards as the full internet it makes more sense.

I agree that Apple left it self open for this kind of scrutiny. They should just re-write the ad and put it back on the TV and then it is done with.
  • Reply 170 of 173
    Quote:

I agree that Apple left it self open for this kind of scrutiny. They should just re-write the ad and put it back on the TV and then it is done with.

I think it would be silly to take an old ad that they already stopped running, and put it back up in rewrite.
  • Reply 171 of 173
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    I wish this engaged some more constructive talk - and no bullshit - on the part of Apple to finally get Flash working on the iPhone, but I frankly doubt that this story will have any implications in this respect. They will just amend the add saying "almost all the parts of the internet ..." and that will be it
  • Reply 172 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

I wish this engaged some more constructive talk - and no bullshit - on the part of Apple to finally get Flash working on the iPhone, but I frankly doubt that this story will have any implications in this respect. They will just amend the add saying "almost all the parts of the internet ..." and that will be it

Apple doesn't really play a part in "getting flash to work" on the iPhone.

Flash in it's current mobile state is not real flash, hogs your battery, and is such a F-UP that even adobe can't solve the problem.

Apple has pretty much proven by ignoring it from the start, and saying so up front, and selling iPhones as fast as they can make them, that Flash is not important to their strategy.

And if Apple gets anywhere near the number of Touch and iPhones into the market that many are saying they will, the percentage of mobile browsing that can't see your flash will lead a lot of people to provide a "real internet" view of their content. If they don't, the percentage of mobile surfers that can come to them will be dwarfed. When that happens, you won't find a real serious advertiser that will touch a campaign built only around Flash.

Kind of fun watching MicroSoft push for standards to fill the Flash void, MicroSoft may actually standardize a solution by working with Apple!
  • Reply 173 of 173
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

Apple plans to use open and official web standards to replace the functionality of flash.