Apple: iPhone security holes, contacts lag, GPS quirks to be fixed soon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quirk? When I'm standing at my bus stop in Portland OR, my iPhone can convince itself that I'm at Memorial City Mall in Houston TX. That is SOME quirk. I'd hate to see an actual bug!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I may be crazy, but I believe Microsoft is one of Apple's direct competitors, so I see no problem in comparing and contrasting management styles and other forms of business practices between the two companies.

It's simply a ploy to take focus away from Apple's current problem and direct attention to someone else. How about focusing on the problem at hand instead of trying to bring in an outside party that has nothing to do with the problem?

This is a security issue regarding the iPhone -- why Microsoft should even be mentioned at all is a mystery to me
  • Reply 23 of 44
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Quirk? When I'm standing at my bus stop in Portland OR, my iPhone can convince itself that I'm at Memorial City Mall in Houston TX. That is SOME quirk. I'd hate to see an actual bug!!!!

You should never have bought that teleportation app until it's out of beta!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Here's how the flaw is exposed," Park explained on his blog. "Let's say the owner of the iPhone sets the device to auto-lock after 1 hour of inactivity, and 30 minutes after [the] last usage a thief steals the phone. The thief can now change the iPhone auto-lock to lock after the maximum setting of 4 hours and keep doing this until he takes everything he needs off the device."

Or he can just set the home button to favorites
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Actually, your iPhone is working perfectly. It's your physical location that's wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

Actually, your iPhone is working perfectly. It's your physical location that's wrong.

Yeah, mactoid - have you tried clicking your heels three times and saying "there's no place like home?" then maybe you'd be in the right place along with your iphone
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Yeah, mactoid - have you tried clicking your heels three times and saying "there's no place like home?" then maybe you'd be in the right place along with your iphone

All joking aside, there actually is an Apple Store in Memorial City Mall... (Houston is where I live and the Apple Store is usually the first thing I think about when somebody mentions Memorial City Mall.)
  • Reply 28 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I really hope that Apple improve the iPhone GPS. It seems more like a software issue since my 10 year old GPS unit is more accurate and responsive to any change in location and speed. My iPhone GPS location jumps rapidly from one place to another.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

All joking aside, there actually is an Apple Store in Memorial City Mall... (Houston is where I live and the Apple Store is usually the first thing I think about when somebody mentions Memorial City Mall.)

WOW..thanks! I was wondering why my iPhone was being mysteriously drawn to that location. Maybe it passed through that Apple Store on it's way to Portland, and it wants to go home!!!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Memorial City Mall? That's where I bought my phone. Ha! I even made the local evening news as someone they interviewed. But I feel your pain dude.....for the longest time my phone thought I was in Chicago.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Dude, I feel for you. However, I live in the Portland 'burbs as well and I have yet to have ONE GPS error that many here have reported. And it doesn't matter if I am using 3G or WiFi. It stills knows exactly where I am.

Should I just thank me lucky stars? Or is there more to it than meets the hairy eyeball?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

Ive left wifi on all day. Something wrong with your phone. Try charging a couple of times from your wall charge adapter instead of usb to a computer if you dont do that already. Maybe your usb isnt providing enough power. That can happen as well.

Actually, I have experienced both cases that you and the OP have stated. If the wifi is enabled and connected to a network I have had your experience, but if it is always searching for a connection I have experienced the OP scenario.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gilles_deleuze View Post

Or he can just set the home button to favorites

How does that stop someone from picking up a phone that is enabled and not timed out yet from changing the lock time? I don't get the solution.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leland9 View Post

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the how fast WiFi seems to be draining the battery. Maybe it is just me, but whenever I switch to WiFi mode, like sitting on my couch 10 feet from my TimeCapsule, the battery lasts about 15 minutes. Is this normal, or do I just have a bad 3G iPhone? Haven't seen anyone even talk about this issue in any of the AI posts.

I think it might be a bad phone and I will tell you why. I am always reading these forums in my spare time and I haven not heard anything either. BUT I have noticed myself the wifi on the 3g drains the battery much faster than the wifi on the first generation phone. I think it might be in part because the wifi on/off also controls the GPS antenna on/off... I don't know for sure but thats my opinion. 15 minutes is pretty dramatic though so if its dying that fast then you definitely need to replace it.

Daniel
  • Reply 35 of 44
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A second alleged mail from Jobs was received by a customer who fired off a litany of software-related complaints, in which he also accused the Apple co-founder of using his customers as "beta testers."

Give me a break. No software program is perfect. There are bugs in every piece of software. Wahhhh, you feel like a beta tester....boo hoo! Grow up and stop whining.

I purchased and downloaded Toast 9 because it offers editing of video transferred from TiVo. Guess what? It doesn't work. The video is edited, but the original audio track remains, rendering the video useless. I am not calling the CEO of Roxio and whining about Toast 9 acting like beta software. I deal with it and wait for them to update and fix the problem.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Reading about GPS "quirks" reminds me that I still don't know how to turn the GPS off.

Maybe someone here can enlighten me?

When the iPhone 3G was introduced there was some talk about the GPS and that it was supposed to be "on" only when needed, to conserve battery. But is it really this way?

First of all there is the "location services" switch in the settings. What does this one do? It seems to me that it is this switch that controls whether or not the question about using location services comes up or not....? Maybe I am wrong?

When using the maps application the "locate me"-button seems to have been changed with iPhone SW 2.0 so that it is now a toggle switch. Tap it once, it turns blue and the location is pinpointed using a blue "jewel" on the map, the accuracy is shown using a blue semi-transparent circle and a kind of "sonar wave" is drawn to let the user know that a location function is active. Tracking is also on, so that if you move the blue jewel moves with you.

Tap the button again and it turns back to greyish-blue, but to me there is no change in the function. The blue jewel is still blue, the blue accuracy circle is still there and the "sonar waves" are still displayed. If I move around the jewel moves with me which shows that tracking is still also on.

To me it would be obvious that if I tap the locate me button to make it bluish grey, that should turn off the GPS. The blue jewel should turn greyish-blue (or some other suitable color), the accurcy circle and sonar waves should be turned off to let the user know that the jewel has changed from being a "you are here" indication to a "you were here" indication.

But obviously this is not the case.

So how do I turn off the GPS then?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Has the size of the user base (tens of millions of people in dozens of markets around the world) necessitated such practices? Could Apple (or ANY company attempting such an ambitious tandem product launch as the iPhone 3G, MobileMe, iPhone 2.0 SW and the App Store all at essentially the same time) have truly tested against, and corrected for, the virtually infinite number of SW configurations existing in the wild? Could any company's R&D/QC divisions have foreseen and/or caught EVERY possible bug and glitch?

tens of millions of users? Are you combining all their products in one group?

Launching three products at once isn't difficult for a large company. Apple is trying to play with the big boys, and at the same time, trying to stay a small company which they can't do. They should be spending some money, and planning these things a bit better.

I wouldn't be happy if I had to download a massive firmware update like the iPhone has, every couple of weeks trying to make it a stable product, just after forking out as much money as the device costs (and will continue to cost).
  • Reply 38 of 44
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Give me a break. No software program is perfect. There are bugs in every piece of software. Wahhhh, you feel like a beta tester....boo hoo! Grow up and stop whining.

I purchased and downloaded Toast 9 because it offers editing of video transferred from TiVo. Guess what? It doesn't work. The video is edited, but the original audio track remains, rendering the video useless. I am not calling the CEO of Roxio and whining about Toast 9 acting like beta software. I deal with it and wait for them to update and fix the problem.

A lot of countries have consumer rights laws, if something doesn't work as advertised, back it goes, that includes software. If something doesn't work as advertised I would be complaining about it, or returning it pretty fast.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    billinbillin Posts: 13member
    I'm hoping the update includes video playlists, though maybe there's already a way to do this and I haven't found it yet. I put tons of TV episodes on my iPhone. In iTunes, I can create playlists that contain those video files, i.e. "Arrested Development", "Futurama", etc. This makes it easy when I want to watch a particular show. But for some reason, I can't get those playlists to appear on the iPhone - I check the playlist to sync in iTunes, but it just doesn't show up on the iPhone. So every time I want to watch a video, I have to scroll through a huge list.

Anyone have a clue about this?
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:

Quirk? When I'm standing at my bus stop in Portland OR, my iPhone can convince itself that I'm at Memorial City Mall in Houston TX.

While looking at an iPhone in an AT&T store in Ohio, it told me that I was in France!

c'est la vie...

gc