Microsoft plans 'Skymarket' apps store for Windows Mobile 7 in 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Microsoft should give up on software and focus on what they do well: hardware.

That's funny-I don't care who you are
  • Reply 22 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I thought MS would be the last to adopt a centralized mobile App Store store model. Are we to expect that others will announce their plans this week as well.

2) MS should have at least announced it as the next version update, not wait until version 7. Then again, the next WinMo updates are so few and far between that late 2009 is early for MS.

Isn't MS effectively the last to adopt a centralized app store? Qualcomm, Apple, Android have one, at least, Android's is proposed, but the platform hasn't been available to consumers yet. I wonder if Symbian has an app store. PalmOS probably isn't relevant anymore, whether or not it has one is a pointless exercise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It's the Sky Mall catalogue, on your phone!

That name was exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterR View Post

Hmm. MS has made money on the Xbox. The Xbox has done as well as any console, except the cheap, popular, and profitable Wii. A cynical person like myself might suggest that the Xbox is in the same division as WinCE and Zune nobody can see how much money the iPhone competitors are losing.

Is the Xbox finally making them money? Have they made back their initial investment yet? That said, as you suggest, MS already does have marketplaces, it's no stretch to expand them to cover more devices.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Apple's market strategy for stores, I believe, is simple and reliable. iTunes for digital downloads. Apple Store for physical purchases.

How about these 30 store policies from everyone else, esp Microsoft.

Sadly, however, Apple took the cake on an early, simple, wireless and useful download and installation setup for a store.

Any following will be branded what everything else that follows apple is branded cheap and second hand.

Too bad people couldn't see that in the early 90's or Mac may be by far the dominant brand.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is the Xbox finally making them money? Have they made back their initial investment yet? That said, as you suggest, MS already does have marketplaces, it's no stretch to expand them to cover more devices.

I'm sure you realize that MS does not make money from the XBox hardware instead they make money from Games, the same way HP makes no money money from selling printers but from ink and toner. All console manufacturers are aware of Atari's mistake when Activision kicked their butt.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

IF they want to get back on top, they need to INNOVATE not IMITATE.

Well, the last time they did that was probably when Bill Gates and his lawyers "innovated" in the legal interpretation of the System license agreement with Apple, when MS blatantly copied its features to create Windows 1.0...huh, no, not really...
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'm sure you realize that MS does not make money from the XBox hardware instead they make money from Games, the same way HP makes no money money from selling printers but from ink and toner. All console manufacturers are aware of Atari's mistake when Activision kicked their butt.

Yes, but both revenue streams show up on the same balance sheet. Sales of games just weren't making up for the losses on the hardware. Then there's the cost of developing the entire platform.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Microsoft should give up on software and focus on what they do well: hardware.

Microsoft's software runs on more computers than every other application put together in the entire world.

They have to be doing something right.

iThink we are seeing some iCompetition and are getting iNervous.

Didn't AppleTV come out about the same time as XBox.

Who remembers AppleTV? Who remembers XBox?

By the way, the XBox also allows you to download movies as well as play games. Apple has no set top console that even begins to touch that.

Who's the innovator now?

You people are self rightous ignorant fools if you can't see that competition is a good thing.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Innovation is similar to imitation, in that it is the 'improvement' of something that already exists.

Invention is creating something new.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple makes no money on AppleTV period. Including software. Save a space for it right next to the Newton.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Innovation is similar to imitation, in that it is the 'improvement' of something that already exists....

True enough, but the key word there is "improvement."
  • Reply 31 of 47
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I would bet that the developers are driving these guys to intro the app stores. They are turning to MS, Google, and the rest and saying,"Hey, why haven't you done this obvious thing?"

Why do they need to wait until Windows Mobile 7.0? They need an excuse to whip something together. Good luck MS!
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I would bet that the developers are driving these guys to intro the app stores. They are turning to MS, Google, and the rest and saying,"Hey, why haven't you done this obvious thing?"

Why do they need to wait until Windows Mobile 7.0? They need an excuse to whip something together. Good luck MS!

No, there probably trying to get it right when it opens so it doesn't duplicate Apple's mess.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I wish Microsoft good luck. Competition is a good thing and it will keep Apple on its toes. A big win for users of both WinCE (love that abbreviation) and the iPhone operating system.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't MS effectively the last to adopt a centralized app store? Qualcomm, Apple, Android have one, at least, Android's is proposed, but the platform hasn't been available to consumers yet. I wonder if Symbian has an app store. PalmOS probably isn't relevant anymore, whether or not it has one is a pointless exercise.

Nokia has to completely revamp theirs so I'm not including theirs, and I don't thin RiM has one setup yet.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Is this article implying that they've named it but haven't done any of the planning?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

they would have folded up shop long ago, because they wouldn't know what to do next.

Yep they'd be at MSDOS v2576.12 by now.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    jeez is this story a wind up? God I'd be embarrassed if I worked for M$ right now.

Skymarket!! He he he nice one AI

How about pie-in-the-sky-market
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Skymarket?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I hope this is a bad joke for MS sake...
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Developers developers developers!

When Apple did it it was cool. When google did it it was competition. Now it is just copying.

Microsoft are becoming like the kid who never quite got it.. and sadly still doesn't.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flemsha View Post

Developers developers developers!

When Apple did it it was cool. When google did it it was competition. Now it is just copying.

Microsoft are becoming like the kid who never quite got it.. and sadly still doesn't.

Uh, okaaay. If MS never did it at all, would you then conclude that they're just out of touch? It seems like you would.