RBC says sub-$100 "iPod phone" market open for Apple's taking

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by awmawm View Post

You are right, there are utilities that attempt to synchronize phones with itunes. I do not know how well Nokia's transfer utility integrates with itunes but have tried the ones for Sony Ericsson and Samsung phones with varying success. They are not true plug-and-play with itunes and the end result is still having a phone that does not even come close to ipods in terms of ease of use to play music.

Nothing wrong with the Nokia one, it works fine. Syncs via BT without an issue on my phone, you tell it what playlist to sync from iTunes.

And the playback, well no issues there, it isn't as nice as an iPod, but then again, it isn't a dedicated media player
  • Reply 42 of 51
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Man, that is one ugly phone. No wonder Nokia can't sell here.

Yeah, you are right, Nokia does have issues selling a phone from 2002 (it was released in EU/Asia-Pacfic then). But at least you could capture video, and forward SMS messages on it...
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Oh man, why in the hell would Apple introduce another phone now? Best to get the iPhone 3G working at its optimum level before introducing anything else. I sure hope that's what they're thinking. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing....
  • Reply 44 of 51
    I'm not sure why everyone claims Apple never releases lower end products to compliment their high-end offerings. Look at the iPod mini when it came out, then the transition to the nano. The iPod shuffle is an even more drastic example. And not only those, but people tend to forget about the Mac Mini, their entry-level Mac. It sells very well (relatively) and gives people a taste of the Mac culture, making these people want to get an iMac or MacBook (Pro) when it comes time to upgrade. I think a nanoPhone would be a wise decision, if only to get the masses that can't afford the high-end products at the time a taste of what Apple has to offer. Not the whole functionality of the high-end products, just a preview of it, basically.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Apple is never a bottom feeder. Higher cost is part of the brand.

So what is the $49 iPod Shuffle then, an imaginary product?

If you haven't noticed by now, the short history of iPhone price cutting has just shone that premium pricing doesn't work well in the cell phone business. A $99 simple prepaid phone/iPod? I'd buy two in an iPod moment for the kids.

I'm all for it.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I'm not sure why everyone claims Apple never releases lower end products to compliment their high-end offerings. Look at the iPod mini when it came out, then the transition to the nano. The iPod shuffle is an even more drastic example. And not only those, but people tend to forget about the Mac Mini, their entry-level Mac. It sells very well (relatively) and gives people a taste of the Mac culture, making these people want to get an iMac or MacBook (Pro) when it comes time to upgrade. I think a nanoPhone would be a wise decision, if only to get the masses that can't afford the high-end products at the time a taste of what Apple has to offer. Not the whole functionality of the high-end products, just a preview of it, basically.

Some people say that, because while they know it isn't rue, they simply aren't thinking when they post.

People should read their posts after they write them. It's amazing how that can make the difference.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The iPod Shuffle, the Mac Mini, the MacBook, ... in fact Apple does this all the time.

The thing keeping them from doing this isn't the "low-end" thing, it's the "low-margin" thing. Apple is a value-add company, not a compete-on-price company like Dell. Apple looks for the packages that people are willing to pay extra for and bundle them.

If they did something innovative with your standard address book, calendar, ringtones, and visual voicemail and integrated it with iTunes but left EVERYTHING else off they'd probably still sell an awful lot of them at higher margins than everyone else.

I totally agree. It is the iTunes ecosystem and ease of use that would make an iPod/Phone work where so many others haven't.

Remember when iTunes didn't have the App Store, etc. Take what the name "iTunes" really means and go back to basics, which is an music player, and add a decent phone, like was mentioned above, and Apple would be kicking them out the door by the triple-digit millions.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If predictions are true, and music players will eventually merge with phones all around, and I agree that they will, as Jobs has said about the original iPhone, Apple would prefer that they cannibalize their own product lines, rather than allowing others to do so.

Agreed.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:

Some people say that, because while they know it isn't rue, they simply aren't thinking when they post.

People should read their posts after they write them. It's amazing how that can make the difference.

You should probably follow your own advice, melgross, because there was nothing in my post that was false or irrelevant to the subject at hand. If you disagree with what I said, tell us why, don't just say it's wrong.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:

You should probably follow your own advice, melgross, because there was nothing in my post that was false or irrelevant to the subject at hand. If you disagree with what I said, tell us why, don't just say it's wrong.

Jeepers, you need to go back and read what YOU wrote, because the way I see this Melgross was exactly right.

YOU ASKED this question:

Quote:

I'm not sure why everyone claims Apple never releases lower end products to compliment their high-end offerings.

I don't think he said what you said was wrong.

I think he answered your question, which is people post without thinking.

....... and then I think you proved him right by answering(without thinking).

That's just the way I read it, but then maybe I'm thinking too much.

(clearly too much for THIS thread....)
  • Reply 51 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Apparently, your reading comprehension isn't what it should be. I was AGREEING with you.

The "some people" was referring to the people that both you and I were referring to in our own posts.

Example, my own post number 38, earlier than yours, which you apparently didn't read, or forgot when you posted to me:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=38