OS X 10.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
For anybody who is using 10.2, can you share any information on its performance releative to 10.1.3 and what, if any, features it has that 10.1.3 does not have?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 207
    spring loaded folders

improved Disk Copy.app

interesting new Dock behavior regarding minimized windows

and it's Snappier?

You should search the forum about 10.2. There have been a few other threads you should read before asking questions.
  • Reply 2 of 207
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>spring loaded folders

improved Disk Copy.app

interesting new Dock behavior regarding minimized windows

and it's Snappier?

You should search the forum about 10.2. There have been a few other threads you should read before asking questions.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I searched the 1st 4 pages that came up earlier today and didn't see anything about 10.2. I'll take another look.

Thanks for the info on 10.2...
  • Reply 3 of 207
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>...

and it's Snappier?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah you beat me to it.

Yes 10.2 is much snappeir. I can tell the difference. When I first booted it up it was much snappier and then as time went on it was back to the same old sluggish OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 207
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Ah you beat me to it.

Yes 10.2 is much snappeir. I can tell the difference. When I first booted it up it was much snappier and then as time went on it was back to the same old sluggish OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Typical clockwork response....
  • Reply 5 of 207
    Where in the world are you getting it? If it is beeing seeded or whatever yo call it, it must be pretty near public release, no?
  • Reply 6 of 207
    [quote] Where in the world are you getting it? If it is beeing seeded or whatever yo call it, it must be pretty near public release, no? <hr></blockquote>

As far as I know the only seed that you can find on warez sites is 6B11. This is the build that AI reported on a while back. Apparently 6B11 was seeded before iTunes 2 was released, making it a building os 10.2 that was completed a couple of weeks after 10.1 was released. Nobody I now has seen any builds beyond 6B11, and none of the rumor sites have reported on any builds later then that.

With that in mind it isn't a terrible surprise to have people reporting that after a speed jump after install they saw no noticeable difference between 10.1 and 10.2 after a little bit of use. The speed burst they say was probably due more to a clean X install rather then code optimization in 10.2. Considering how early of a build 6B11 is, it isn't surprising that the OS speed hasn't increased much.

Hopefully by the time it is GM in July they will have optimized 10.2 enough that there will be noticeable differences between the speeds of 10.1 and 10.2. Would be nice.
  • Reply 7 of 207
    [quote] I think Apple is clamping down on leaked builds big time. No leaks in almost 5 months is pretty impressive. <hr></blockquote>

I actually know one person that claims to have 10.2 betas, but he won't talk about it at all. I really can't decide if we is really in the know or is just pirating 6B11 builds from the net.
  • Reply 8 of 207
    I think Apple is clamping down on leaked builds big time. No leaks in almost 5 months is pretty impressive.
  • Reply 9 of 207
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>I think Apple is clamping down on leaked builds big time. No leaks in almost 5 months is pretty impressive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They just stopped seeding their builds to all paying developers.
  • Reply 10 of 207
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Or maybe they've halted all development work on OS X..

Steve: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT ISN'T INSANELY GREAT ALREADY?!?! YOU'RE FIRED!"

-robo
  • Reply 11 of 207
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Seems odd that after getting internal builds for so long, the well dries up now. While 10.2 will likely just be what we know already -- some small added features and mostly minor improvements, perhaps they are toying with other new features they want to be secret? But wouldn't they create another development branch for all that stuff? Just seems odd that even if there's no real news, internal build leaks have been plugged.
  • Reply 12 of 207
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    Maybe there is more to 10.2 then you expect. After almost a year of development I would expect more then a minor update. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 13 of 207
    Just remember:

NO ONE outide Apple's tight circle-of-trust expected Aqua before that fateful morning...

• Reply 14 of 207
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Seems odd that after getting internal builds for so long, the well dries up now. While 10.2 will likely just be what we know already -- some small added features and mostly minor improvements, perhaps they are toying with other new features they want to be secret? But wouldn't they create another development branch for all that stuff? Just seems odd that even if there's no real news, internal build leaks have been plugged.</strong><hr></blockquote>

apple has been VERY open lately with developers about how upset they are. Apple even made changes to the NDA that all developers must read and agree to before entering the site. The changes were almost entirely of the "we're sick of you guys screwing us by leaking stuff" model.

Personally, I like the secrecy, but (as a developer) would appreciate more available builds. what, just cuz i'm not adobe, or MS, i don't get to know what's going on?
  • Reply 15 of 207
    [quote] apple has been VERY open lately with developers about how upset they are. Apple even made changes to the NDA that all developers must read and agree to before entering the site. The changes were almost entirely of the "we're sick of you guys screwing us by leaking stuff" model.

Personally, I like the secrecy, but (as a developer) would appreciate more available builds. what, just cuz i'm not adobe, or MS, i don't get to know what's going on?

<hr></blockquote>

If that's the case no wonder we haven't heard much, especially if the little guys are getting any builds. I have to admit I miss not having any new information on future X builds, but I can understand Apple's desire to stop the leaks, especially when it comes to hardware.

Even wonder what your perspective on Apple's current hardware offering we be if we didn't have all these rumors about an imminent G5 release? Or rumors about 1.4 GHz "Apollo" G4s, with DDR, for MWSF 2002. I think it would be really different. Not saying that Apple's hardware is perfect right now, because it isn't, but I think that we over exaggerate how badly Apple needs this technology, or that feature, because we read all these rumors/leaks about it. If there was no leaks about G5, or killer G4s, or OS X 64-Bit with this and that feature I think a lot more of us would be content with Apple's current offering, and maybe that translates into more sales for Apple. Which is more then enough motivation to stop such leaks.

Well, hopefully they will preview the next X build in Tokyo. They are going to release the G5 in Tokyo guaranteed, right!?
  • Reply 16 of 207
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>

They are going to release the G5 in Tokyo guaranteed, right!? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 207
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    From what I've read/been told Jag has an ETA of MWNY. What it contains other than the stuff that was already leaked is anyones guess. I do know the build numbers should be somewhere in the high 40's (maybe even low 50's) by now.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 207
    [quote] Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

<hr></blockquote>

Jamie I was just joking, hence the wink.

Dave: What do you mean by build 40 - 50s. Does that mean they have only done that many builds? Or are you referring to 6X40-6X50, where X is some letter? Wouldn't 6B11 have already be 100+ builds advanced? Please clarify.
  • Reply 19 of 207
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Darwin bugtracker mentions 6B41, at that time they were turning out 1 build a day. Wonder if they've sped it up... Probably not if ETA is MWNY
  • Reply 20 of 207
    SYN 6B41? That's it. When were they turning out 1 build a day. They got to be higher then 6B41 if 6B11 was released in October.

What's Darwin Bugtracker/