Briefly: Mac OS X 10.5.5 to address AirPort glitch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Does anybody know if the security settings on the printer subsystem gets fixed in 10.5.5?

Right now we're in a world of hurt at a school with over 1000 machines, and only 3 administrators because adding a printer queue or even starting a stopped queue requires an admin password!

There are settings in Parental Controls and in Workgroup Manager, but those are not honored in 10.5.4 and it still asks for an admin password any time you try to add or start a queue. Although I'm pretty sure the users are able to reset the printing system which wipes out any queues created by an admin.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

I hope so, Wi-Fi has pretty much sucked on my MacBook since I installed the initial retail version of Leopard. I have all of the issues you mention above. Reverting back to Tiger (wipe and re-install) didn't fix the problem either so I'm assuming it was a firmware fix that Leopard applied to the wireless card. I don't have a dual-boot system with Windows so I didn't try that though. I'm not sure I'd buy another MacBook now, especially where I can get a fully loaded 17" AMD 64 X2 notebook for $750 through OfficeMax. I'd probably buy an iMac if I got another Apple machine.

My issues started while I was still running Tiger and I upgrade to Leopard out of desperation. Still didn't help of course ....
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I cannot tell you how happy I would be if they really, truly fix the wireless connection problems.

Everytime we wake our iMac from sleep we need to manually disconnect/reconnect the Airport connection else it just stops working after a few KB of data are transfered.

The same iMac running Windows XP in Bootcamp is fine. A MacBook running Leopard on the same network is fine. Two HP laptops, a HP workstation, a Nintendo Wii and an iPod Touch on the same network are also fine. It's just the iMac running Leopard that always stalls when it wakes up.

Because my wife uses the iMac for her emails, and I sold her the idea of an expensive but beautiful Mac on the idea that it would not only look great but would also 'just work' better than the Windows machine it replaced (which of course really did 'just work', as it turns out), I'd really appreciate it if this very fundamental piece of functionality was fixed.

Has anybody with the wireless issue tried using the Atheros USB wifi stick and the OSX86 drivers? If 10.5.5 doesn't sort out the Airport problem, I might give that a go (and post my results here).
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In my case, I have the latest iMac with a 320GB 2.5" Lacie drive that will not recognize the drive if the machine is rebooted. Sometimes it'll prevent the startup from happening altogether.

On the other hand, I have 2nd to latest MB with a MyBook 1TB drive that never has any issues.

Both are using FW400. I haven't tried switching the drives to see if it's the external drive or the Mac since they are rarely ever together.

I have an issue with a WD MyBook 500GB drive connected with FW800, it will connect, and disconnect itself constantly
  • Reply 25 of 29
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I have an issue with a WD MyBook 500GB drive connected with FW800, it will connect, and disconnect itself constantly

Disable power saving using sdparm.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    For all of you who are having wifi problems, how crowded is your spectrum? Are you using the wifi in crowded apartments, coffee shops or dorms? I ask because the 2.4GHz band is a very busy/noisy band and there are many devices (like microwaves and cordless phones) that can knock wifi right off the air. I would suspect that these noise bursts will be most common in crowded areas and will have more drop outs than we do out here in the suburbs.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

For all of you who are having wifi problems, how crowded is your spectrum? Are you using the wifi in crowded apartments, coffee shops or dorms? I ask because the 2.4GHz band is a very busy/noisy band and there are many devices (like microwaves and cordless phones) that can knock wifi right off the air. I would suspect that these noise bursts will be most common in crowded areas and will have more drop outs than we do out here in the suburbs.

iMac, iBook, 102.11b for a windows PC, microwave, and 4 cordless phones. The iBook running 10.3.9 and windows PC are further away from the router and have no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

iMac, iBook, 102.11b for a windows PC, microwave, and 4 cordless phones. The iBook running 10.3.9 and windows PC are further away from the router and have no problems whatsoever.

The next questions are: What is the proximity between your microwave/phones and the problematic devices? Can you determine a correlation or not between the usage of the microwave/phones and drop outs?

I'm not saying that this is the problem. I am saying that I have a microwave within 20 feet of a base station that knocks air tunes off the air whenever it is operated. And that this might be a potential cause of wifi drop outs. As far as the manual disconnects/reconnects -- I might have had it once or twice, but rarely if I did. If I did I probably cleared it by cycling power. I know, this is no help to someone who really has the problem. An idea; for the people who have to manually log in after waking up, do you have wifi connectivity when the mac goes to sleep?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The second fix was related to a graphics framework.

Not sure what the graphics framework issue is, but I my graphics went wonky a few months ago - the initial startup screen looked fine, but then the colours shifted and my icons all look distorted now and things are jaggier. This is on a hi-res screen. Boosting the brightness seems to help a bit, but it's never made it back to the crisp look I had before. Every time I restart, it looks fine at first and then goes wonky again, so it seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue (i.e., I know my machine CAN display things properly - it just won't do it...).

Has any one else had this problem??

I'm also having the typical wireless problems others have discussed with my Mac PBPro (it's a huge pain trying to get timemachine working). So double whammy.