I say the announcements on SEP. 9TH will turn out to be BORING!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
as in B O R R R R R R R I N G ! ! ! ! !

We've all seen what the new nano 4g is going to look like. And there is that slightly updated ipod touch. And price slashes.

Oh, and the usual updates to itunes......maybe something added to itunes that was slightly unexpected.

And thats it. No macbooks because the sources are saying that this event will NOT be a combined ipod and macbook event as everyone assumed. There might be an event in October some source is saying that would have the macbooks.

So September 9th is going to be a boring day. Except for me.....I have overtime till 9pm that day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    As I said in another thread: It would be foolish to think Apple would release new notebooks before their Back To School promotion is finished on the 16th. They are coming, just be patient. I need one too. I gave my MacBook to my sister for school already.

iPods may be boring to you, myself as well being an iPhone owner, but some people will be very happy, and updates to iTunes is a good thing.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

As I said in another thread: It would be foolish to think Apple would release new notebooks before their Back To School promotion is finished on the 16th. They are coming, just be patient. I need one too. I gave my MacBook to my sister for school already.

iPods may be boring to you, myself as well being an iPhone owner, but some people will be very happy, and updates to iTunes is a good thing.

Actually, I couldn't care less about the macbooks. Well no, actually I am interested in seeing where they are going with their designs. If they announce new macbooks then great if not.....whatever.

But I'm looking more toward the tablet. And I don't think that the tablet will be revealed on Sept. 9th either.

And about the ipods.

I didn't say ipods themselves are boring to me. I'm also interested in them. But we've all seen the nano 4g cases on the net. And there will be only slight revisions to the ipod touch. So besides itunes there will be almost no new announcents so to speak.

So again, booooooooringggggggg.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

as in B O R R R R R R R I N G ! ! ! ! !

We've all seen what the new nano 4g is going to look like. And there is that slightly updated ipod touch. And price slashes.

See the price slashes just give Apple the ability to release something more capable at the high end. It is a given that the current Touches and Nanos would come in at lower prices, that based solely on the drop in FLASH prices. If Apple combines that with significant manufacturing changes to lower prices then the price drops could be significant.

More importantly these economized iPods just leave an opening for more capable hardware at the top of the heap. The potential is there for an iPod of some sort to really impress in features and capacity. At least that is my slant on what is happening. Part of why I think this is possible is that the Classic will soon need a replacement too, a beefed up Touch could easily take over that slot. It is just a matter of having the capacity needed.

Quote:

Oh, and the usual updates to itunes......maybe something added to itunes that was slightly unexpected.

The usual? How about an all new iTunes that is built on the latest frameworks.

Quote:

And thats it. No macbooks because the sources are saying that this event will NOT be a combined ipod and macbook event as everyone assumed. There might be an event in October some source is saying that would have the macbooks.

Actually I don't care one way or the other as I know I won't be buying a MBP this year.

Quote:

So September 9th is going to be a boring day. Except for me.....I have overtime till 9pm that day.

Oh good so you can put that OT to the latest APPLE device to hit the market.

Seriously though I just have this feeling that Apple is going to pull one impressive Rabbit out of the hat this September.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

See the price slashes just give Apple the ability to release something more capable at the high end. It is a given that the current Touches and Nanos would come in at lower prices, that based solely on the drop in FLASH prices. If Apple combines that with significant manufacturing changes to lower prices then the price drops could be significant.

More importantly these economized iPods just leave an opening for more capable hardware at the top of the heap. The potential is there for an iPod of some sort to really impress in features and capacity. At least that is my slant on what is happening. Part of why I think this is possible is that the Classic will soon need a replacement too, a beefed up Touch could easily take over that slot. It is just a matter of having the capacity needed.

The usual? How about an all new iTunes that is built on the latest frameworks.

Actually I don't care one way or the other as I know I won't be buying a MBP this year.

Oh good so you can put that OT to the latest APPLE device to hit the market.

Seriously though I just have this feeling that Apple is going to pull one impressive Rabbit out of the hat this September.

Dave

There is the possibility that any price slashing for the products debuting September 9th might service high end products NOT being introduced at that event. The profits that Apple anticipate from brisk new ipod sales (and heavy investing in R&D as reported recently by Oppenheimer) might go into the revamped macbooks, iTablets and or other mystery devices coming late this year or early next.

September 9th will be here sooner that we think. I plan to grin and bear it while I do my grueling overtime then when I go home watch the apple keynote video from Apple's site.

Hey admins!! When are you going to post a non-spoiler link to the keynote for those deciding to wait to watch the video?
  • Reply 5 of 45
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

Why? All they have to do is state that the new products aren't eligible for the rebates, or, just announce them and have them available after the 15.

I'm hoping for a new MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Why? All they have to do is state that the new products aren't eligible for the rebates, or, just announce them and have them available after the 15.

I'm hoping for a new MacBook.

You will get that new macbook....probably within the year. But no new ones will be announced September the 9th.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I'm still curious about Apple's CFO's comment about predicted lower margins for Apple's fourth quarter ending in September: that it would be due to a "product transition." For this "transition" to impact margins for the quarter significantly, it has to happen soon. Can it be that lower prices for iPods is it? I suppose $50 less for each iPod sold in a month would make a big impact on margins.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I'm still curious about Apple's CFO's comment about predicted lower margins for Apple's fourth quarter ending in September: that it would be due to a "product transition." For this "transition" to impact margins for the quarter significantly, it has to happen soon. Can it be that lower prices for iPods is it? I suppose $50 less for each iPod sold in a month would make a big impact on margins.

Yes, a lot of people believe that part of that impact on margins will be due to cheaper ipods. But I think that will only be part of the story. After the ipods there will be more cool stuff to come.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Yeah, this apple event will be YAWN. again.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:

Yes, a lot of people believe that part of that impact on margins will be due to cheaper ipods. But I think that will only be part of the story. After the ipods there will be more cool stuff to come.

But the impact to margins is supposed to be in Apple's fourth quarter which ends in four weeks. I doubt anything which will come after next Tuesday will have enough time to make much of an impact on those margins.

My point is, if there's no surprise on Tuesday, then like the OP says, the big news (and the "product transition") will simply be price slashes on iPods; slashes big enough to affect Apple's margins for the quarter.

I think many people, including myself, have read too much into what Openheimer said about a "product transition." He was being pressed for an explanation for the reduced guidance, so that's what he said. And the reaction from the Mac Web was ooooh, aahhhhh!
  • Reply 11 of 45
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

I believe in addition to Peter Oppenheimer's comment mentioning this quarter's margins fall to ~31%, but will continue throughout 2009 at about 30%. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this effect caused by whatever Apple is doing, will continue for quite some time. I'll add that most computer hardware companies would love to have ~30% margins.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I believe in addition to Peter Oppenheimer's comment mentioning this quarter's margins fall to ~31%, but will continue throughout 2009 at about 30%.

I didn't hear that part of it and wasn't aware Apple gives guidance beyond the coming quarter.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    I think people are forgetting something.

Who supplies Apple with their memory?

Samsung, since 2006ish

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2008/0...lidstate-ipod/

My guess is that they will unveil a new classic ipod with a 64 and/or 128 gigabyte memory card, and forever do away with the hard drive.

At last, a classic Ipod (and Touch) that wont suffer hard drive freeze up and need replacement!

The timing is about right, as Samsung announced the 128g memory in January, and now, 9 months later, Apple has an announcement....

I have been waiting for a solid state high capacity iPod for 2 years now. I am so in line to buy one!
  • Reply 14 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't bother watching the event on the day anymore, I watch the following day. I don't expect anything really. Steve will say he's fine, and he'll walk off..
  • Reply 15 of 45
    Quote:

But the impact to margins is supposed to be in Apple's fourth quarter which ends in four weeks. I doubt anything which will come after next Tuesday will have enough time to make much of an impact on those margins.

My point is, if there's no surprise on Tuesday, then like the OP says, the big news (and the "product transition") will simply be price slashes on iPods; slashes big enough to affect Apple's margins for the quarter.

I think many people, including myself, have read too much into what Openheimer said about a "product transition." He was being pressed for an explanation for the reduced guidance, so that's what he said. And the reaction from the Mac Web was ooooh, aahhhhh!

The effect on margins and a "product transition" do not have to be in the same quarter. They could be facing an effect on their margins now for something that will be debuting later in the year or early next.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daeyel View Post

I think people are forgetting something.

Who supplies Apple with their memory?

Samsung, since 2006ish

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2008/0...lidstate-ipod/

My guess is that they will unveil a new classic ipod with a 64 and/or 128 gigabyte memory card, and forever do away with the hard drive.

At last, a classic Ipod (and Touch) that wont suffer hard drive freeze up and need replacement!

The timing is about right, as Samsung announced the 128g memory in January, and now, 9 months later, Apple has an announcement....

I have been waiting for a solid state high capacity iPod for 2 years now. I am so in line to buy one!

At first I thought the event was going to be boring. Now I'm not so sure. But.......sorry suckas still no macbooks on the 9th!
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:

The effect on margins and a "product transition" do not have to be in the same quarter. They could be facing an effect on their margins now for something that will be debuting later in the year or early next.

You're right if they're spending a bundle on R&D. Foolish me.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:

You're right if they're spending a bundle on R&D. Foolish me.

While this event might not overly impress, the macbook event plus macworld 09 I have a feeling will knock the socks off ya.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Someone raises their hand, "umm... was the Mac Mini updated?"

And then Steve says, "oh yeah," followed by, "no, we discontinued it and forgot to tell you. It was the most outdated piece of hardware we got. What can I say."
  • Reply 20 of 45
    I thought I would share this blog post I found while scouring the net for news late into the night.........

http://macbook.pro/2008/09/04/apple%...deal%E2%80%9D/

Apple's PR department says the 9th is going to be a "big deal" and they are encouraging the press to attend more strongly than usual.

*tap head and thinks* Hmmmmmmmmm!