Post iPhone 3G issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Thought we could consolidate instead of having a new thread for each issue. My issues are:

1. Problems accessing data over 3G (affects e-mail, web). Either runs very slow or not at all. Wireless works fine. Location: Chester/Delaware counties, PA. Update: Seems to be working better this evening

2. MobileMe will not push calendar changes made on via my Mac or PC, even if I fetch the data manually. I have to sync via USB to get it working.

Update: I finally figured it out...I didn't setup MobileMe correctly. Contacts, Calendars and Bookmark syncing were turned off! Issue fixed.

3. Bluetooth has an echo on all calls with my built in handsfree in a 2007 Toyota Camry.

4. Contact Lag

5. 3rd Party apps sometimes cause need for restart

6. Volume adjustments via touch slider are tricky. Sometimes I have to pause the song to get it to adjust.

7. I've already had at least three dropped calls in the last week, and I've seen multiple dead spots (no service) . Update: four dropped calls. Grrrr.

Despite all this I'm generally happy with the phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    1a. 3G can sometimes be better than DSL here (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)... so far Maxis 3G (the best network but slightly less coverage than the incumbent national telco) is cruising along.

1b. Maxis "ran out of stock" of their USB 3G modems so a bit of Jailbreak action and tethering is quite alright (though SOCKS doesn't work as proxy for Apple Mail. Just web browsing)

2. Working now. Pretty impressive.

3. Hmm... No idea.

4. I think this is a common issue

5. As above (wait for 2.1 update???)

6. Yup. Same problem with Touch. That's why the physical buttons are so awesome.

7. No problems here so far. Again, with this telco called Maxis, they're pretty okay. They also operate the local satellite service for the country without which our TV would suck BIG TIME. LOL.

8. Backing up still takes a long... time in 2.0.2 even. It could be that it is because I have jailbroken it.

Overall, I'm pretty bloody impressed, I have to say. This here iPhone 3G. Without which I could never call myself a passionate Apple enthusiast... The third leg indeed... An important one for the next 5 years.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Two things that have been bugging me when I'm browsing online:

1st) I will be online & without warning the screen will go black & go back to the main button screen. It happens sporadically.

2nd) When I have more than one page open while browsing I'll go to another page & it will reload

the page even though it had already been downloaded.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I've had the random return to home screen happen too. I think I know what you mean about the web pages too.

Oh, and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it to sync with Exchange at work. I had my tech guy look at it, and it finally confirmed the server (after a week of me trying different settings). However, now it's rejecting my CORRECT password. WTF.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I've had the random return to home screen happen too. I think I know what you mean about the web pages too.

Oh, and I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get it to sync with Exchange at work. I had my tech guy look at it, and it finally confirmed the server (after a week of me trying different settings). However, now it's rejecting my CORRECT password. WTF.

I also had that issue, random return to home screen, but it doesn't happen often.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I just assumed that the apps were crashing and going back to the home screen.

If it makes you feel any better 2.0.2 sucks on the original iPhone. It seems like every time I go from wifi to edge I have to restart the phone to get safari to connect. I'm hoping apple doesn't forget us in an update.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hopefully they'd fix it in 2.1
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well...most things are working well now, including 3G access. Bluetooth compatibility is still bad. It picks up calls fine, but there is an echo which results in a real delay on the other end. It also makes call quality suck. I'm often told I'm breaking up, which is fixed by just using the phone without the bluetooth.

Still working on exchange.

Volume when not using speaker can't seem to get high enough. It's audible but a little quiet.