Mac OS X 10.5.5 approaching as testing focus narrowed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A release of the fifth maintenance and security update for Apple's Leopard operating system appears to be approaching a release, with the company reported to have lopped the number components requiring evaluation in half.

Developers claim to have received their pre-weekend build of the upcoming Mac OS X 10.5.5 Update on Thursday evening. The new build, labeled 9F32, arrived just days after a smaller subset of developers were equipped with build 9F30, which similarly followed on the heels of build 9F29 distributed more broadly near the start of the week.

With the latest build, Apple has narrowed its testing field from 24 core system components to just 12, according to people familiar with the software. Among the components still in need of further testing are AirPort, graphics drivers, iCal, iChat, screen sharing, and Time Machine, those people say.

Build 9F32 is also reported to have stemmed a nasty memory glitch that was affecting Time Machine volumes formatted in HFS. A problem using the CUPS printing environment with documents loaded into Apple's Preview application is also said to have been fixed.

While Mac OS X 10.5.5 remains hampered by a single known issue related to email search in the company's Mail application, the narrowed focus list combined with more rapid test releases over the past week has led some developers to believe the Update may only be a week or so away.

Only once in recent memory has the Mac maker shaved a large number of components from the focus areas of an impending Mac OS X update late in its development cycle and then spun around to re-broaden them.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 currently weighs in at around 320 megabytes in its bare bones Delta form, those familiar with the software say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Bring on 10.5.6 and it's rumored Blu-Ray support, please
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I hope they fix that error. I don't want to have to sue.

/sarcasm
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Bring on 10.5.6 and it's rumored Blu-Ray support, please

Kevin Rose is full of shit. There is no parallel development of Mac OS X. As much as I wish there was, there isn't. There isn't a team secretly working on 10.5.6 while 10.5.5 is being worked on. If there's no hints of Blu-Ray in 10.5.5 it's probably not coming in 10.5.6.

As much as I wish that there would be parallel development at Apple for point updates, there isn't.

The only parallel dev happening is between the full version number changes.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    "Mac OS X 10.5.5 currently weighs in at around 320 megabytes in its bare bones Delta form, those familiar with the software say."

Holy shit that seems like a large update or is it me?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Kevin Rose is full of shit. There is no parallel development of Mac OS X. As much as I wish there was, there isn't. There isn't a team secretly working on 10.5.6 while 10.5.5 is being worked on. If there's no hints of Blu-Ray in 10.5.5 it's probably not coming in 10.5.6.

As much as I wish that there would be parallel development at Apple for point updates, there isn't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple the only major computer manufacturer now that isn't offering Blu-Ray? Their lack of support is fast-approaching the seriousness of their situation several years ago when everyone else was offering CD burners and Apple ignorantly thought the world would skip CD and go straight to DVD.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    When I worked at Cisco, we worked on .1, .2, and .3 in parallel with each other.

So how do you know there's no parallel development? Did you work there? Do you have a spy camera hidden somewhere on their campus?

Please share with us your factual knowledge of how you could possibly know this.

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple the only major computer manufacturer now that isn't offering Blu-Ray? Their lack of support is fast-approaching the seriousness of their situation several years ago when everyone else was offering CD burners and Apple ignorantly thought the world would skip CD and go straight to DVD.

I think apple is looking to promote its way of delivering high def movies: iTunes Music Store. Less support for blueray, might mean more people download from apple.

I think there is blueray support for apple, it's just not being built into the systems.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Build 9F32 is also reported to have stemmed a nasty memory glitch that was affecting Time Machine volumes formatted in HFS.

Does this mean "as opposed to HFS+", or am I clueless about how TM drives can be setup?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Mail searching... I hope they fix that error.

I recently had that issue too. I rebuilt and everything was okay.

Quote:

Kevin Rose is full of shit. There is no parallel development of Mac OS X.

While I tend to agree that Rose doesn't have any inside sources, is it not possible that Bly-ray support, not its specific inclusion into a point release, be worked on another group. If they were going to release it I would think that iDVD and other professional apps would the be first to get it. At that point any framework or system support for BR could be put into the point release, so perhaps it's just a bulletin of what may be coming next time... but I having doubts that BR support is coming at all.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukec View Post

I think apple is looking to promote its way of delivering high def movies: iTunes Music Store. Less support for blueray, might mean more people download from apple.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that's probably the case; problem is 1.) their HD quality is closer to an upconverted DVD than actual HD due to their low bitrates, and 2.) most people don't want to pay-to-own super-compressed videos trapped inside a proprietary box. Both storage and the internet are not mature enough yet for real HD content delivery; we need Blu-Ray as a stopgap for at least five years.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    While I don't work for Apple or have any inside knowledge, the biggest gripe I would have with supporting it on OS X is the fact that the OS has to continually monitor the video path for any signs of messing with it. We all know that the DRM that Blu Ray uses is always checking for any signs of tampering with the video path, and if it finds anything, it will either degrade the quality of the video or stop it all together. I am also sure there is some kind of licensing fee or something that some manufacturer has up their sleeve that Apple doesn't care to pay.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Both storage and the internet are not mature enough yet for real HD content delivery; we need Blu-Ray as a stopgap for at least five years.

One of the smartest things someone's said on this forum. Mostly because I've been saying the same bloody thing while everyone else is saying, "what?! We don't need Blu-Ray. We need thumb drives and more MacAir's with flash." The same people who invest in APPL based on rumors.

p.s. Not to mention media pros need Blu-Ray for well...media.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I wonder if or when Apple will see fit to have a look at Migration Assistant. If you have a RAID on either the source disk or target disk, forget it. (What this means is, if you have a RAID and use Time Machine for backup, then the worst happens, you're on your own in getting your new system back on track.)

I've complained to Apple about this several times. Wonder if they fixed it.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

One of the smartest things someone's said on this forum. Mostly because I've been saying the same bloody thing while everyone else is saying, "what?! We don't need Blu-Ray. We need thumb drives and more MacAir's with flash." The same people who invest in APPL based on rumors.

p.s. Not to mention media pros need Blu-Ray for well...media.

Lets not forget that Isp's like Comcast are putting the smack down on your download's. If this move catches on your allocated bandwidth could be used up downloading 5-10 movies. Blueray may not be a "must have" for a mac but do not write off physical media just yet.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

... I am also sure there is some kind of licensing fee or something that some manufacturer has up their sleeve that Apple doesn't care to pay.

Make it a BTO option and pass the cost on to the consumer. There are people that will *gladly* pay the fee.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Lets not forget that Isp's like Comcast are putting the smack down on your download's. If this move catches on your allocated bandwidth could be used up downloading 5-10 movies. Blueray may not be a "must have" for a mac but do not write off physical media just yet.

Good point. Downloaded HD faces two hurdles. The lack of really fast broadband service (like FIOS) in all parts of the country and bandwidth caps. Apple have no control or influence over this either.

I agree with Corey. BR will reign for at least 5 years.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Make it a BTO option and pass the cost on to the consumer. There are people that will *gladly* pay the fee.

Except that this 'option' would require embedding the HDCP DRM into *the entire system*, even for machines that would never use Blu-Ray. It's not going to be just the folks who BTO it who would pay for it, it would be all of us.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Except that this 'option' would require embedding the HDCP DRM into *the entire system*, even for machines that would never use Blu-Ray. It's not going to be just the folks who BTO it who would pay for it, it would be all of us.

1) Isn't Montevina the first Intel chipset that has this natively?

2) What is the cost of this?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

When I worked at Cisco, we worked on .1, .2, and .3 in parallel with each other.

So how do you know there's no parallel development? Did you work there? Do you have a spy camera hidden somewhere on their campus?

Please share with us your factual knowledge of how you could possibly know this.

i make plastics...for apple
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Why couldn't be embedded into systems that only use BR?

Apple releases system software versions specific to machines, why not with this as well?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    What does that have to do with software engineering? Do you work at Apple and do you work in one of Apple's software development groups?

Let me put it this way. If they're not working concurrently on dot updates, I've got a productivity idea I'd like to sell them.

Quote:

i make plastics...for apple