Analyst braces clients of "underwhelming" Apple event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Someone who talks a lot of shit.

I goggled him-is it that extreme wrestler type?
  • Reply 22 of 95
    The only thing that matters is Jobs's appearance. if he hasn't fattened up some, that's all she wrote for the stock.
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:

Don't bet on it. Looks like this xmas will not be good, since everyone in the US is broke, homeless, losing their jobs, unable to fill their tank and having what money they do have eroded by global inflation.

Other than that Q4 looks good.

Yeah, but it seems like it's been that way for a while. And people always seem to be willing to go deeper into debt at the Apple Store, especially at Christmas. Despite everything you point out I still expect another record-breaking quarter. And the iPhone's spread into other countries could be a new halo effect for Macs.

Everything you say is valid. But people need computers, MS is dropping the ball, college students crave Macs, iPhone is revolutionary, and iPods are a new way of life for lots of people. Combine that with the hundreds of millions of people yet to switch and there's a lot of upside to aapl.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    I would be really disappointed if Apple announces only the redesigned iPods etc on next Tuesday. MacBooks are long overdue for updates. I am dying to buy a new MacBook Pro with some new hardware. Steve don't hold special events only to show the new design of iPods. Do something new. Don't join the herd of some stupid companies.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    @Sapporobaby and Merdhead - You guys carry an incredible grudge for Prince McClean (aka Daniel Elger w/ personal blog at roughlydrafted.com). What's up?

Daniel writes his most intellectually demanding pure technical overview/strategy columns at roughlydrafted as 'Daniel Elger'. Writing in AppleInsider as Prince McClean he publishes simpler articles with less attitude towards Microsoft.

Daniel's work is clear, detailed, accurate, encyclopedic, and VERY ADVANTAGEOUS to know if you're an Apple investor.

It's a shame bozos like you two want to shout him down.

Is this a personal grudge as in, maybe he owes you money? Whatever; You guys don't deserve the 'ink' you use to attack Daniel.

No offense meant, but it's your (angry) agenda as I see it.

Perhaps you might grow up, calm down, and let Daniel speak to the 'rest of us'. I think we'd all appreciate your courtesy.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

The only thing that matters is Jobs's appearance. if he hasn't fattened up some, that's all she wrote for the stock.

Actually, that's what I think the whole point of this event is -- they've had Steve in super-fat camp (not the thinning kind) for a few months, and having thickened him up they need to trot him out and let us check out his healthiness.

otherwise, this may be the first time I've ever felt any sense of agreement with Prince Wu.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    As usual, everyone is whipping themselves into a frenzy...

At this point, it doesn't really matter what gets announced, people are going to be disappointed ? even if Elvis Presley, makes a surprise appearance on stage and personally announces a $99 Mac Pro with complementary 42" Cinema Display.

I wouldn't be surprised if we simply see a speed bumped MacBook Pro in the existing enclosure...
  • Reply 28 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pk22901 View Post

@Sapporobaby and Merdhead - You guys carry an incredible grudge for Prince McClean (aka Daniel Elger w/ personal blog at roughlydrafted.com). What's up?

Daniel writes his most intellectually demanding pure technical overview/strategy columns at roughlydrafted as 'Daniel Elger'. Writing in AppleInsider as Prince McClean he publishes simpler articles with less attitude towards Microsoft.

Daniel's work is clear, detailed, accurate, encyclopedic, and VERY ADVANTAGEOUS to know if you're an Apple investor.

It's a shame bozos like you two want to shout him down.

Is this a personal grudge as in, maybe he owes you money? Whatever; You guys don't deserve the 'ink' you use to attack Daniel.

No offense meant, but it's your (angry) agenda as I see it.

Perhaps you might grow up, calm down, and let Daniel speak to the 'rest of us'. I think we'd all appreciate your courtesy.

Welcome to the Prince McClean fan club. Pick up your pompoms at the door.

By the way, there are more than me and Merdhead that have a problem with his accuracy. Even in this very forum.

If I still have it, I will post the exchange between your hero and Jeremy Horowitz of iLounge that slammed your supreme leader for his "accuracy" in reporting.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pk22901 View Post

No offense meant........

Perhaps you might grow up.....

Takes some real stones to say no offense is meant when you lecture someone to grow up.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

At this point, it doesn't really matter what gets announced, people are going to be disappointed ? even if Elvis Presley, makes a surprise appearance on stage and personally announces a $99 Mac Pro with complementary 42" Cinema Display.

I wouldn't be surprised if we simply see a speed bumped MacBook Pro in the existing enclosure...

For sure. I would settle for a better working iPhone, because right now, I have more iPod than phone.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I'd be floored if they started down the music path in an announcement and then use the event to roll out small incremental changes in any computer they make.....

This isn't going to be the only show between now and the lead up to the holiday season, trust me.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mebbert View Post

Steve is too smart to have an event that will do nothing more than introduce minor upgrades.

What? Are you kidding? He does this crap all the time. Info about the SDK that was coming out in a few months, lame ipod updates before this.
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:

Don't bet on it. Looks like this xmas will not be good, since everyone in the US is broke, homeless, losing their jobs, unable to fill their tank and having what money they do have eroded by global inflation.

Other than that Q4 looks good.

No worries Merdhead.

I currently live near Russia, I balanced my check book, and organized a community play. I will be submitting my name for VP. I will fight to make sure you get the Mac's you need.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    That's how rumors kill events like these as well as Apple stock. (no offense to this site though, i love 100% of it)
  • Reply 35 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holywarrior007 View Post

I would be really disappointed if Apple announces only the redesigned iPods etc on next Tuesday.

Sorry man, I hate to say it, but prepare to be disappointed.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Umm...how long has Wu been targeting this mythical $220 mark? It must be over a year since he been so bullish, yet it languishes at $160.

IMO, Apple needs to brace itself for an even greater downturn in the economy. The iPod Touch will likely see a huge price drop. But any new Nano needs a price reduction as well. And don't get me started on that Shuffle. That needs to be like $25.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Actually, that's what I think the whole point of this event is -- they've had Steve in super-fat camp (not the thinning kind) for a few months.

There's only so much fat a vegan/pescatarean personal chef can sneak into a diet.

100% cocoa fat chocolate chip cookies? Beer-battered catfish fried in peanut oil?

Sturgeon egg sushi? Or are we talking an around-the-clock emergency regimen

of whale blubber, washed down with avocado smoothies?
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Does anyone listen to Shaw Wu? He is about as bad as Prince McClean.

Jeepers!

I feel bad sometimes about some of the grumpy things that I post here but at least I have an argument when I do. If you have nothing to offer other than a one line personal attack, maybe you should just not post, M'kay?

I know you have nothing to support your dig at "Prince McClean" because I have read every single article posted under the name and every article of Roughly Drafted for the last two years.

You can't just make crap up about people who know more than you and expect to get away with ....

wait, .... Are you John McCain?
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some potential "wild card" announcements that could boost sentiment surrounding the event could include "an advanced AppleTV with DVR and TV tuner capabilities" or "new touch form factors (iPod-Mac hybrid) with larger screens," he added.

Yep, it'd appear that this guy is way off the mark. This guy should know that Jobs is not interested in competing against the Cable TV monopoly or introducing a near-defunct idea like an over-the-air TV tuner.

A DVR is a remote possibility, particularly if offered by a 3rd party. A TV tuner is never going to be an Apple product.

I see movement in iTunes, iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. The hardware is just about perfect - add GPS and audio I/O to the Touch and incremental changes to memory and it's all about perfect.

Everything else is a software problem. That's what Apple needs now - they have an awesome HW platform already.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

What we will see in my end-of-work-week befuddled opinion:

New iPod nano

New iPod touch

Slightly cheaper Shuffle

iTunes 8 announcement, but "coming in October"

HD TV shows on iTunes "coming in October"

Blather about iPod and iTunes sales, and some iTunes App Store software packages

Yes, but you've got it in reverse chronological order!