Analyst braces clients of "underwhelming" Apple event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    I knew this trash talk would start. How many years has Apple had events that showed upgraded iPods and was it always considered underwhelming? The iTunes application upgrade is something to look forward to. Maybe most of the new iPods will work with MobileMe. Is Shaw Wu expecting some sort of iPod time machine? I'm sure the iPods will be evolutionary products. Increased memory, modified cases, maybe different colors. If most of the new iPods have WiFi and streaming capabilities all for less money, that should be a great thing. An upgraded, lower-priced Touch will become an instant multi-player gaming machine hit and should sell in huge numbers. I just don't like Shaw Wu due to his narrow-minded insight.

Most likely this event is just for iPods, so I can't imagine why Wu would be expecting some iTablet or introduction of a totally new product. He's telling clients to be braced for underwhelming. Why? Who the heck are his clients anyway and why do they have such high expectations. The iPhone doesn't have the greatest hardware available, but it's still selling like crazy and that's what investors should concern themselves with.

To me a 64GB iPod Touch with a long-life battery and some built-in speakers and a mic would be terrific.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    He called Shaw Wu a "Prince McClean?" Wow, that's rough! At least he didn't stoop to calling him a "Rob Enderle!" In traffic, I sometimes yell at bad drivers that they are a "Rob Enderle;" they freeze up solid. There is no rebuttal to that. Phrases with sexual, genital or excretory functions are at least an order of magnitude weaker than the Rob Enderle epithet and aren't worth the effort.

I'm expecting something completely out of the blue. I call it the Oppenheimer Special since Apple's CFO alluded to an upcoming thing in the last conference call.

Apple stock will shoot up if Steve shows up sporting a nice middle-aged beer gut. I'd be happy to mentor him to that end -- I am quite expert in the subject!
  • Reply 43 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) I am (sort of) OK with some occasional negative news about AAPL, since that allows for upside surprises. There somehow always seems to be a little too much good news impounded into Apple's price.

2) What's with this guy's writing style. Sheesh. He says: "...disturbance in the macroeconomic environment is within lower-income demographics and financial institutions with exposure and impact to overall liquidity" when he means to say "... the current economic slowdown only affects poorer people and investment firms with junk in their portfolios."

He gets paid to write like that.

Big words like "macroeconomic", "demographics" and "impact" compensate for the fact he doesn't know what he is talking about.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

Yep, it'd appear that this guy is way off the mark. This guy should know that Jobs is not interested in competing against the Cable TV monopoly or introducing a near-defunct idea like an over-the-air TV tuner.

I would have to disagree with your assessment that OTA is "near-defunct". The best HD, outside of blu-ray comes OTA. I realize not everybody has it, but most of us that do, wouldn't trade it.

Basically, I get all the major stations for free, in beautiful HD. If there are shows I want to watch that I can't get OTA, then I buy them a'la carte from iTunes or watch them on Hulu. So instead of paying any type of subscription fee for cable I am making out like a bandit with OTA HD and iTunes as a supplement. The only subscription I am paying for is the $37.05 per month for my internet connection.
  • Reply 45 of 95
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    <If I still have it, I will post the exchange between your hero and Jeremy Horowitz of iLounge that slammed your supreme leader for his "accuracy" in reporting.>

You should I would love to see how accurate is Jeremy Horowitz's facts.
  • Reply 46 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

The only thing that matters is Jobs's appearance. if he hasn't fattened up some, that's all she wrote for the stock.

He may give the keynote over an iSight camera, or by IM.
  • Reply 47 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Apple stock will shoot up if Steve shows up sporting a nice middle-aged beer gut. I'd be happy to mentor him to that end -- I am quite expert in the subject!

Only if it is beer made from organic, fair-trade, shade grown barley and hops from the foot hills of the Himalayas.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Umm...how long has Wu been targeting this mythical $220 mark? It must be over a year since he been so bullish, yet it languishes at $160.

IMO, Apple needs to brace itself for an even greater downturn in the economy

Just in case, I have a standing order to "buy" AAPL at $125.
  • Reply 49 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

No worries Merdhead.

I currently live near Russia, I balanced my check book, and organized a community play. I will be submitting my name for VP. I will fight to make sure you get the Mac's you need.

Good work. That means the Ruskie nukes will be flying over your head. I'm currently in Berlin and that's why. You're the sort of fresh thinking this country needs (the US), but you're overqualified to be VP. Have you won any beauty pageants lately? If so, enter you name now in the sweepstakes to win the US presidency - you're only a heart attack from being leader of the free world!

USA! USA! USA!
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

I goggled him-is it that extreme wrestler type?

Sorry, I should take back that slight against Prince McClean.

Who I meant was Prince McLean, the moron who writes those 64 bit articles and other trash, a contributor to this fine website.

I suspect the only type of wrestling he does it with his trouser-snake.
  • Reply 51 of 95
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Hopefully it will be more "jaw-dropping" than the iPhone making the Best Buy circular cover- now that's overwhelming.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Sorry, I should take back that slight against Prince McClean.

Who I meant was Prince McLean, the moron who writes those 64 bit articles and other trash, a contributor to this fine website.

I suspect the only type of wrestling he does it with his trouser-snake.

What is with all this hatred and animosity? I don't get it! The author's name is right under the title. If you don't like the style of writing, the topics or, as one person put it, the use of big words, then you don't have to read it.

AI and RD are Apple-centric websites so you should expect the favour leaning toward Apple. RD articles that aren't associated with AI are often rebuttals to anti-Apple shills. There is a certain balance in that!

At very least McLean writes extremely well and offers up a great deal of info about Apple's past present and future. If there are things that you disagree with then post them in the thread in a civil manner. I'm sure I've seen him reply in kind. I may not agree with all his points but I don't recall a single article he's written in which i didn't come out with at least a nugget of new knowledge.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You guys are so mean

And I wouldn't mind but the name on this article is Sam Oliver.
  • Reply 54 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You guys are so mean

And I wouldn't mind but the name on this article is Sam Oliver.

The comparison was to Shaw Wu who is mentioned in the article.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok, so what could Steve and crew announce that would make everyone happy, and make the stock go up ? oh

and then what will they announce in January?

- iPod stuff, and maybe a Phone now

- Desktops and displays in January

Skip
  • Reply 56 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just in case, I have a standing order to "buy" AAPL at $125.

I sold some at $175 on the way down and put in a buy at $160. That got filled this morning at $158. I hope I guessed right and it heads back up before going down to your order. $125 seems awfully low.

After the last earnings report they fell to $150ish and quickly popped back up to $180ish before sliding down over the past couple weeks. I'm hoping whatever gets announced causes a little pop. But that depends on how whatever is introduced gets spun. Will it be "Ooh. Apple introduced something new for the holiday shopping season. Shiny!" or "Apple introduces yet another ... into an already flooded market in a depression-nearing economy. What were they thinking?"

- Jasen.
  • Reply 57 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

What? Are you kidding? He does this crap all the time. Info about the SDK that was coming out in a few months, lame ipod updates before this.

The SDK was a big deal. Millions of dollars big. I agree that SDK's in general do not seem glamorous, but there were a lot of people/companies dying to get their hands on that.

I think there's going to be something bigger than new iPod colors, etc. However, I admit that I'm one who is easily excited. For example, when they unveiled the current generation of iMac, I was pretty amazed with its beauty.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I sold some at $175 on the way down and put in a buy at $160. That got filled this morning at $158. I hope I guessed right and it heads back up before going down to your order. $125 seems awfully low.

After the last earnings report they fell to $150ish and quickly popped back up to $180ish before sliding down over the past couple weeks. I'm hoping whatever gets announced causes a little pop. But that depends on how whatever is introduced gets spun. Will it be "Ooh. Apple introduced something new for the holiday shopping season. Shiny!" or "Apple introduces yet another ... into an already flooded market in a depression-nearing economy. What were they thinking?"

- Jasen.

I agree it's very low for AAPL. But if the US invades or attacks Iran, we could have a huge smoking hole of a stock market for a long time.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    in some industries you might think the analyst has inside information but I frankly think Apple is way to tight for that.

In the case of the Nano and Touch of course the revs would be rather minor externally. Internally is where it counts and is where I expect a major overhaul. The question then become go major.

If what this analyst is trying to say is that Apple will not have any new pruducts that target different market segment that is possible. What really seems strange this time around is that there have been no attempts from Apple legal to deal with suspected leaks. For example the alledged CAD drawing which if real would be Apple property. This leads me to believe that no body really has a handle on what is up or coming. This means there is a potential for out of the box hardware.

As to device pricing well might as well say this: they are grossly over priced. That largely due to the very significant drop in the cost of flash. So it doesn't take rocket science to understand that prices will move in some manner. That could be done in part by making the 8 & 16 GB devices Nano only. There are thousands of ways in which Apple could morph the current line up, what will shake things up though is a new model or two.

So maybe nothing vastly new physically. Doesn't matter because stradegy is changing and new software is coming.

Dave
  • Reply 60 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Jeepers!

I feel bad sometimes about some of the grumpy things that I post here but at least I have an argument when I do. If you have nothing to offer other than a one line personal attack, maybe you should just not post, M'kay?

I know you have nothing to support your dig at "Prince McClean" because I have read every single article posted under the name and every article of Roughly Drafted for the last two years.

You can't just make crap up about people who know more than you and expect to get away with ....

wait, .... Are you John McCain?

Well, I'll stop just because you said so. Thanks for the heads up. You are soooo needed here.