Report pours water on rumors of September 9th iTunes 8 debut

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Rumors that Apple will announce next week version 8.0 of its iTunes media cataloging software with a new music recommendation engine may be premature, according to a new report.

Earlier this week, outspoken Digg founder Kevin Rose built on his predictions for Apple's special media event next Tuesday by publishing a purported feature list for iTunes 8.0.

Among the claims where that the media software would include a new recommendation Genius, "which makes playlists from songs in your library that go great together." The supposed feature was also reported to include a Genius sidebar, "which recommends music from the iTunes Store that you don't already have."

In addition, iTunes 8 would allow browsing of "artists and albums visually with the new Grid view; download your favorite TV shows in HD quality from the iTunes Store; sync your media with iPod nano (4th generation), iPod classic (2nd generation), and iPod touch (2nd generation); and enjoy a stunning new music visualizer."

While Rose's earlier predictions of a slim form-factor iPod nano appear as if they will inevitably pan out, ArsTechnica is shedding doubt on the timing of his iTunes 8 rumors. The tech news site, which sports a sturdy track record (1, 2, 3, 4) of uncapping future iTunes-related announcements, says it wouldn't wager on an iTunes 8 release next Tuesday.

"The one thing we aren't betting on is seeing iTunes 8 introduced on September 9," the report says. "Call it a hunch, or call it something else, but we don't plan on waking up Software Update just yet."

Ars, however, made no claims as to whether or not the feature set proposed by Rose would eventually turn up an a version of iTunes labeled 8.0. Separately, the below photo has been making the rounds this week, depicting an iPod nano matching Rose's description.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I don't get why Kevin Rose is getting so much publicity. Most of the things he's "predicted" were already rumors and many of his "exclusive" rumors turned out not to be true:

1) Dual batteries on the original iPhone

2) Slide-out keyboard on the original iPhone

3) Front side camera on the iPhone 3G
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Thankfully, this could be Rose's Last Stand. Pay no attention to the baboon. Move along.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Kevin Rose's Original iPhone Predictions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfLjqfYKM0
  • Reply 4 of 30
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    So they are going to introduce new iPod nano and iPod touch models. Big deal. This is nothing to hold a special media event over. Just issue a press release.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Spam, you're a visionary!
  • Reply 6 of 30
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Man, iTunes 8 was the one thing I was really looking forward to!
  • Reply 7 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, whatever it will be - I just hope it will be important enough to justify a special event press invitation. They got some deserved beating after the HiFi/Leather Sleeves/Mini event at that time and so far this sounds even worse. I really hope for a big surprise.

While iPods do still sell well and holiday sales might even be a little bit higher than last year... they have already shifted out of the public focus - they are yesterday's news. Unless Apple really improves the Touch significantly to meet the iPhone except for the phone functionality (means: add microphone, GPS, camera, speakers), I have no clue what it could possibly be and even that would not go along well with the "Let's Rock" tagline?!

If they would have made significant new arrangements with film and music companies, there would have been some rumors by now?!

My expectations with these events are normally too high - but this time I do not really expect anything... feels odd.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, whatever it will be - I just hope it will be important enough to justify a special event press invitation. They got some deserved beating after the HiFi/Leather Sleeves/Mini event at that time and so far this sounds even worse. I really hope for a big surprise.

While $49.99 iPhone socks in assorted colours sound great, I think we'll see something more substantial. The flyer saying "Let's Rock" and only showing iTune-ish stuff does make me wonder if the new notebooks are ready to go, but these teasers have shown to not be very telling about waht to expect. Other OEMs have been selling Centrino 2 for a few weeks now (something that had escaped my RSS) so Intel's production should be ready to handle Apple's needs.

However, Apple has delayed a new product revision longer than the average when a case change was about to occur. We have just crossed over the average time for Mac notebook releases so I'm still hoping that does occur next week.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    "..the media software would include a new recommendation Genius, which makes playlists from songs in your library that go great together."

Apple's gonna make me a "mixed tape". Thanks?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post

"..the media software would include a new recommendation Genius, which makes playlists from songs in your library that go great together."

Apple's gonna make me a "mixed tape". Thanks?

Well, if that is going to happen at all, I just hope it is a bit better than the logic behind the MiniStore panel. The last time I was listening to "Pharao's Dance" (by Miles Davis) it recommended "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles... would make an interesting mixed tape for sure
  • Reply 11 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I've heard that regular iPod Socks ARE compatible with the iPhone? I'm not sure.

I think iTunes may get a patch soon, in conjunction with the September touch OS update, but maybe that won't be iTunes 8.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I think I'll just play it safe and make my prediction on September 9th.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I've heard that regular iPod Socks ARE compatible with the iPhone? I'm not sure.

They fit, but it voids your phone's warranty.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    If Steve Jobs is giving the presentations then there might be something besides an iPod update.

But iPods, while less exciting than the iPhone, are still an important business to Apple - especially at Christmas time - and I can see a lot of development put into the next range.

There is still questions in my mind - has Apple been able to move OS X down to the Nano? If so where are they going to be able to generate more revenues from that move?

With Back-To-School sales completed and inventories potentially run down we can still have "One more thing" to surprise us.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I would love to see the return of the iPod HiFi (with built in AirTunes streaming).

I would also love to see a serious update/price drop for the oh-so-adorable Mac mini.

Over-priced leather iPod case... I could do without.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Over-priced leather iPod case... I could do without.

Unless it's made from PETA zealots, then I'll take two.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post

Sounds like somebody discovered Pandora on their iPhone and said "hey, Apple should put this in iTunes"... instant rumor.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless it's made from PETA zealots, then I'll take two.

I would love to see their reaction if Apple came out with a series of iPod cases made from the hides of endangered species. "Nothing protects your iPod like the soft feathers of a northern spotted owl!"
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Sounds like somebody discovered Pandora on their iPhone and said "hey, Apple should put this in iTunes"... instant rumor.

I love Pandora, it's my favorite app in the app store and most used.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

I would love to see their reaction if Apple came out with a series of iPod cases made from the hides of endangered species. "Nothing protects your iPod like the soft feathers of a northern spotted owl!"

Tastes like chicken!