Report pours water on rumors of September 9th iTunes 8 debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    While there may not be an "8" version of iTunes, there had better be a version that takes care of interfacing with the App store properly (and the appropriate programming required on the back end as well) introduced at this event.

iPods have really matured, and if the form factor changes, etc. that would be incremental, and not worthy, in my mind, of an event with Steve Jobs presenting.

The whole ecosystem has to be upgraded, and if it's not iTunes 8, or hopefully a renaming of the whole program, then it sure does need to be an upgrading of the ecosystem as it now exists, without adding numerous fancy bells and whistles.

Fix the App download and update process. Make the program more intuitive for first time users.

Rethink the entire iTunes setup, as has been discussed in other threads, to make it into a program that more easily separates the video from the music from the apps, etc.

Make it a true, full update, and change the name! iTunes for video, podcasts, apps, phones, etc.???

iTunes 8 should be available for download on the 9th, or all of its new and revised features should be presented and a timetable for its release.

Without that, a special event with only updated iPods is NOT a special event.

Greg
  • Reply 22 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Man, iTunes 8 was the one thing I was really looking forward to!

This doesn't mean it's "not" coming.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This doesn't mean it's "not" coming.

Exactly. I think this will be an iPod / music event only. As soon as it is out of the way another event will be announced for MacBooks / MacBookPros and who knows what.

Personally I would like new laptops asap and an iMovie upgrade. Its been a loong time!
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Maybe Steve gained 20 pounds and he wants us all to see....
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post

Maybe Steve gained 20 pounds and he wants us all to see....

hahah!

No chance for mac bumps (not redesigns) like for the Mini??

I figured new iTunes would come with Snow Leopard ... maybe thats too far away though.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, if that is going to happen at all, I just hope it is a bit better than the logic behind the MiniStore panel. The last time I was listening to "Pharao's Dance" (by Miles Davis) it recommended "Walk like an Egyptian" by the Bangles... would make an interesting mixed tape for sure

That combination reminds me of a show I saw back around 1970. It was Mahavishnu

Orchestra followed by Cheech and Chong. FIrst there was spiritual, ascetic John

McLaughlin playing all this lofty and poetic music, and then, shortly afterwards, Cheech

and Chong were pretending to be dogs, crawling around on the stage and sniffing

each other. That kind of disorientation is not necessarily unpleasant.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among the claims where that the media software would include a new recommendation Genius, "which makes playlists from songs in your library that go great together." The supposed feature was also reported to include a Genius sidebar, "which recommends music from the iTunes Store that you don't already have."

As opposed to having a "genius" toolbar recommending questionable stuff, I'd rather see a tight integration with Last.fm.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    You don't know for certain that they are only going to introduce iPods. That's why all this media stuff is so screwed up. Apple never said what was going to be introduced. We are just making assumptions.

Why not just issue a press release? Truthfully, if I had a job that involved covering Apple product announcements, I'd rather go to the event than get a press release. Apple fans consider it fun. I agree that if you don't give damn about Apple products, then it's a waste of time.

If Apple only comes up with a less expensive iPod Touch with more memory and better battery life, I want it. My expectations are not that high, but maybe there will be a surprise product. I like the anticipation on the chance that some revolutionary product might be introduced.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

You don't know for certain that they are only going to introduce iPods. That's why all this media stuff is so screwed up. Apple never said what was going to be introduced. We are just making assumptions.

Why not just issue a press release? Truthfully, if I had a job that involved covering Apple product announcements, I'd rather go to the event than get a press release. Apple fans consider it fun. I agree that if you don't give damn about Apple products, then it's a waste of time.

If Apple only comes up with a less expensive iPod Touch with more memory and better battery life, I want it. My expectations are not that high, but maybe there will be a surprise product. I like the anticipation on the chance that some revolutionary product might be introduced.

I'd love a cheaper iPod Touch! It's hard to justify $300, no matter how much memory.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    The link says there will be a new visualizer...do you think they would put one on the ipod?

I know it would kill battery life, but I think it'd be cool to have and use every now and again.