Can Apple talk AT&T into offering a 3G Data Only plan for the tablet?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If Apple is working with AT&T to come up with a iphone tethering plan then is it possible they are working on a 3G unlimited data only plan for upcoming mobile products? I mean, whatever this uber super device turns out to be (cross between an iphone and a laptop?) I think its going to have wireless capability......obviously.

I seriously doubt though that it is going to be wi-fi only and it is also too early for 4G wireless technology products. So for now, that leaves 3G. If this product comes late this year or early next then what would make sense (for the US market anyway) is to have AT&T offer a flat rate 3G data plan (for this future device not laptops).

But how much would it cost? I would pay $30.00 a month.

On a side note it was a miracle that Steve Jobs was able to make any of those neanderthal, backward and primitive, yesterday's news cellular network carriers bend to his plans with the original iphone. But frankly I think they are a hindrance to the progress of technology despite their rhetoric.

I hope Steve is able to arm twist AT&T into offering a data only plan and at a reasonable rate to favorably support their upcoming products.

Other countries I'm sure won't have the same problems with their carriers.....shame though.

Any thoughts people?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

If Apple is working with AT&T to come up with a iphone tethering plan then is it possible they are working on a 3G unlimited data only plan for upcoming mobile products? I mean, whatever this uber super device turns out to be (cross between an iphone and a laptop?) I think its going to have wireless capability......obviously.

I seriously doubt though that it is going to be wi-fi only and it is also too early for 4G wireless technology products. So for now, that leaves 3G. If this product comes late this year or early next then what would make sense (for the US market anyway) is to have AT&T offer a flat rate 3G data plan (for this future device not laptops).

But how much would it cost? I would pay $30.00 a month.

On a side note it was a miracle that Steve Jobs was able to make any of those neanderthal, backward and primitive, yesterday's news cellular network carriers bend to his plans with the original iphone. But frankly I think they are a hindrance to the progress of technology despite their rhetoric.

I hope Steve is able to arm twist AT&T into offering a data only plan and at a reasonable rate to favorably support their upcoming products.

Other countries I'm sure won't have the same problems with their carriers.....shame though.

Any thoughts people?

I highly doubt it, isnt att 3g barely able to keep up with the current usage on its network?

If it did happen it would be more then 30 bucks because the amount of usage would be crazy because a bunch of people would use it as their sole internet provider
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I would pay $30.00 a month.

This is no way to barter! Start at something like $2.50 and they will say $60. (Always at least twice as much as they *think* you think you will pay).

You: No way man, Ill offer you... $5

Them: $40

and so on... ad infinitum...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userone View Post

This is no way to barter! Start at something like $2.50 and they will say $60. (Always at least twice as much as they *think* you think you will pay).

You: No way man, Ill offer you... $5

Them: $40

and so on... ad infinitum...

If I were to negotiate with them I would do as you suggest you bet. But its just us so I'm boiling it down down to what I would really pay.