First iPod nano 4G photo hits the web

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A Mac website has obtained what's believed to be the first proven genuine photo of a fourth-generation iPod nano, days ahead of its launch.

The image, deliberately masked by MacNN to protect the identity of the shot, bears a near perfect resemblance to images that have been circulating the web of the device, all of which began when Digg creator Kevin Rose posted an image on his personal blog.

True to the leaks, the new flash-based iPod is tall and has a tapered shell at the front and back which is reminiscent of the MacBook Air. The report claims that the new nano is wrapped entirely in aluminum, but that it will come in "more vibrant" colors than the light-tinted models on sale today -- one of which is the coppery orange that was used for the second-generation iPod shuffle.

Throwbacks to the new model's close cousin, the second-generation iPod nano, are also in evidence elsewhere: the dock connector is once again offset from the center, and the packaging is the same clear, tall plastic case.

Fourth-generation iPod nano. | Image credits: MacNN.

An unobscured version of the image later published by MacNN.

MacNN provides little else to fill in details of the product itself but is convinced the updated iPod nano will not only be announced at next week's "Let's Rock" event but that it should be ready to sell almost right away and thus mirror many of Apple's more recent product launches. The site also warns returning students that the new models won't qualify for the back-to-school promotion from this summer that ends on September 15th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    I don't get it, they want to make us believe that they have the first picture of the next iPod Nano 4G, but the don't really show it. That's kind of stupid of them. From what I can see it's just a drawing, therefore, i don't believe them. Show me the money, then I will believe!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 115
    Hmmm.... Tall and slender... Looks suspiciously like a phone handset to me... iPhone nano, anyone?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 3 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Hmmm.... Tall and slender... Looks suspiciously like a phone handset to me... iPhone nano, anyone?

- Jasen.

Not a chance.
  • Reply 4 of 115
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    And we're suppose to take their word for it because...?

It may well turn out to be true, but how is this any different than any other 'confirmed' rumour?
  • Reply 5 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    No mention of the clickwheel buttons? I would think it would be remiss of Apple to offer the same Zune experience as their Zune 4/8 with the printed buttons being sideways when watching videos in landscape mode. Besides that, the Zune has a better UI than the Nano and Classic.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Love the aluminum orange- welcome back.

And seriously, if you watch video on that sized screen in landscape mode you'll need reading glasses or a magnifying glass to say the least. Makes no sense.
  • Reply 7 of 115
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    You know, if this was April 1, this would have been a great article. But it's not, and this has too much of the whiff of the Troll about it. Did you hire someone from the National Enquirer? "Here's a really lame artist's sketch of a photo we swear was authentic. And on page 3: Elvis found! Louisiana batches of Soylent Green test positive!"
  • Reply 8 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Me too.
  • Reply 9 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You know, if this was April 1, this would have been a great article. But it's not, and this has too much of the whiff of the Troll about it. Did you hire someone from the National Enquirer? "Here's a really lame artist's sketch of a photo we swear was authentic. And on page 3: Elvis found! Louisiana batches of Soylent Green test positive!"

JA, JA, and where's the Chupacabra and Lockness Monster!!!
  • Reply 10 of 115
    Seriously.. My first post on AI in a year, and all I've got to say about this article is:

Bleh.
  • Reply 11 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Me too.

Great and Tuesday should be very interesting with all the speculation these last 2 weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And seriously, if you watch video on that sized screen in landscape mode you'll need reading glasses or a magnifying glass to say the least. Makes no sense.

It should still be easier than the current nano, which also plays video, but on a smaller screen than the claimed update.
  • Reply 13 of 115
    Check out Click Here for the photo without the blur. Looks pretty nice to me
  • Reply 14 of 115
    Here is what looks like the original pic. It's definitely slick looking in the copper tone, but the curved screen seem like this should be a fake.

• Reply 15 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is what looks like the original pic. It's definitely slick looking in the copper tone, but the curved screen seem like this should be a fake.

Looks pretty real, if oddly out of focus for no reason...

Why exactly was the image given a Photoshop treatment? I see nothing that should be obscured...
  • Reply 16 of 115
    It can't be true.

There's no elevator.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

- Jasen.

Looks like a chocolate candy bar to me. From the photo mockups I'm not too sure I like the looks.

Will this have the iPhone OS on it?
  • Reply 18 of 115
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks pretty real, if oddly out of focus for no reason...

Why exactly was the image given a Photoshop treatment? I see nothing that should be obscured...

It was taken with an iPhone...
  • Reply 19 of 115
    The photo was obscured because it's actually sort of illegal and definitely not cool to post them. Engadget, classless idiots that they are, just don't care.

I think something is wrong or missing here though. Going back to the old off-centre dock connector when they just finished selling everyone "universal" docks sounds odd. The curved bezel is also definitely an odd choice although I guess if Apple assumes everyone is watching widescreen content then the glare from reflections will be limited to those parts of the image that are blacked out in the letterbox format. The fact that you have to rotate the thing and then remember that it's rotated when you are using the controls is also awkward.

The only thing they could do to make this a non-yawner of a product is perhaps to make it super-duper cheap. Like Shuffle prices cheap.

I suppose there is hope that they are purposely leaking this so as to direct peoples attention away from the real star of next Tuesday's show, but that's probably wishful thinking only. It will sure be sad if this is the only real new product. the revamped iPod touch will have to be something super hot to make this show anything more than a colossal bore.
  • Reply 20 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The photo was obscured because it's actually sort of illegal and definitely not cool to post them. Engadget, classless idiots that they are, just don't care.

Thanks for the heads-up. I can see why it might be a problem to post photos, but for a story, posting a photo gone over with some heavy artsy filter effect is a "let's not but say we did" kind of maneuver. We're supposed to take their word that artwork is based on a real, authenticated photo of a real 4th G nano when it's done over heavily enough to be anything but a nano and the source of the authentication isn't named. Yeah, and I have some prime real estate to sell at bottom dollar and I have a secret buddy that works with the court clerk that says it's the real deal.

Quote:

I think something is wrong or missing here though. Going back to the old off-centre dock connector when they just finished selling everyone "universal" docks sounds odd.

Finished, as in they don't sell any more? There should still be a fill-in plate available for it like they did with previous models. It looks like it should work just fine with the old nano fill-in plates.