Going from OSX 10 to 10.1

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just bought a used G4 400 and it has OSX 10.0 on it. Will I have to spend $129 to get OSX 10.0? I have upgrade coupons but I have no idea what to do with them or if they can get the upgrade at a discount this far down the line since 10.1's release. If I have to spend $129 I probably paid too much for the machine! Any info appreciated...........

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I would give a call to the Apple STore and ask them what to do with the upgrade coupons. I am sure they can get you a $29 "free" CD or something.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I'll try calling the Apple store. It would be very Microsoft-like to ask me to spend $129. $20 I have absolutely no problem paying............................
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My wife's iBook came with 10.0 on it. I'm sure Apple thinks that I should pay $129 for 10.1.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The $20 10.1 offer has expired. You must pay $129.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    That really blows. My fault for not paying enough attention to the version of OSX on the machine. I really don't see why Apple is any better than Microsoft when it comes to upgrading the OS. OSX costs even more than XP. What a ripoff................
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>That really blows. My fault for not paying enough attention to the version of OSX on the machine. I really don't see why Apple is any better than Microsoft when it comes to upgrading the OS. OSX costs even more than XP. What a ripoff................</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is XP Home edition you speak of, which really REALLY sux...I do not understand, though, why apple would charge that much (or anything) for the upgrades. I could see paying that much from 10 to 11, but not an update like this. One thing I admired about Apple when I got my first Mac, was how I could go all the way from OS 9.0 to 9.2.2... Microsoft charges a buttload for upgrades, and I have been sad to see Apple going down a similar path...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I know. Its very disconcerting that they would charge any more than a shipping charge, regardless of when you decide to upgrade. If I have OSX 10.0 why should I have to pay $129 to get 10.1? Its ludicrous. I am going to call Apple and see if they will do anything for me............................