iTunes 8 prematurely leaked, pulled?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An unusual report late Sunday has multiple users claiming that Apple unintentionally, if briefly, posted a pre-release copy of iTunes 8.

The few allegedly lucky visitors to Apple's iTunes page at the right time on Sunday say they noticed an out-of-place "Download Now" button in the middle of the page which, if clicked, linked to a download for iTunes 8.0 rather than the publicly available 7.7.

Others claim to have noticed the download as well, but in most cases the file in question is said to have already disappeared.

If legitimate, what new features are in the software aren't being revealed: one user who claims to have successfully grabbed the update not only notes that the build appeared to be an unfinished release candidate but that he's concerned about repercussions.

"I?m not sure about the legality of releasing it to you guys yet," he explains. "I don?t want any trouble from Apple."

The alleged iTunes 8 download link before it disappeared from Apple's site.

And while multiple anecdotal claims support the existence of the build, the unnamed tipster is in a difficult position to say what's new: he appears to have held off on upgrading iTunes past version 6.0, which was first introduced nearly three years ago. Recent reports have supported iTunes 8.0's existence and assert that it will be one of Apple's larger upgrades, sporting both auto playlist creation as well as the possibility of HD downloads and other major feature additions.

Nonetheless, Apple is known in recent memory to have posted new software updates prematurely, including the discovery in July of an early iPhone 2.0 download a day before it became public. Any iTunes updates are most likely to appear at Tuesday's "Let's Rock" special music event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Actually, he would be fine releasing information, as it's apple's fault. I saw a case once when something very similar to this had happened. It was deemed a "public release", though it was in error. As long as he hasn't signed anything with Apple prohibiting his release of information, he can tell anything he likes.

Of course, he may not really have anything.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    AI is on the ball tonight.

I have doubts about the tipster saying that he got a copy of it and jsut happened to update his 3 years old iTunes v6 tonight? What are the odds!
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Putting a download button in the middle of an existing page and putting that online? That seems pretty sloppy.

I seriously doubt the "tipster" has anything. iTunes 6? Seriously? And he just happened to go to the iTunes page tonight? What are the odds?

EDIT: Solipsism, that's a little freaky.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Typical, couple day's before keynote, web posting "mistake". They've been doing it since the PowerMac G5 came out.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Well I am sure the whole new site is already up, they just testing it. Usually such big changes deployed 4 days ahead. Then at given time they just have to upload one document to the server which will open up the new version. Very simple. =)
  • Reply 6 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Putting a download button in the middle of an existing page and putting that online? That seems pretty sloppy.

I seriously doubt the "tipster" has anything. iTunes 6? Seriously? And he just happened to go to the iTunes page tonight? What are the odds?

EDIT: Solipsism, that's a little freaky.

My first thought to your edit was, "it's unusual that he hasn't updated his iTunes for several years, but I wouldn't call it freaky", then I thought, "Why did he quote me but remove the message quotes, quoted my use of tipster and added the 'no' emoticon?", then it hit me. That is freaky!
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Current Right Side Download Image on Apple.com iTunes:

It has a semi-transparent layer in the PNG image to make the "button" reflection look, but the Apple web artist didn't mask the right side:

Here is the supposed "screenshot"

Looks like he tried to erase some of that semi-transparent part, but missed some, as it is covering up the left corner of the lowercase d:

(Left is Apple's original picture. Right is the closeup of the screenshot.

So yeah, this guy basically just slapped the download link over the text with photoshop.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Very un-Apple-like.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I don't get it. Is it a fake?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    He's running Opera and using iTunes 6 on Windows, seems legit to me... lol. To be fair, I just upgraded iTunes from 6 to 7 yesterday on my parents PC, didn't see any iTunes 8 though.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Those red question-marks are just not up to Apple's design standards.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Dude, amazing eye for detail!

Incorporating some LastFM like qualities into iTunes 8 would be nice.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Those red question-marks are just not up to Apple's design standards.

• Reply 14 of 44
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I'm sure we can all wait another 36 hours or so right now.

All I'm hoping is that iTunes 8 is a rewrite in Cocoa, and that's why there have been so many versions of iTunes 7 because it is basically just having essential functionality added to it. Whereas the main coding efforts have been on iTunes 8 for the past year or two.

As for this article, it's pointless. I don't see why anyone who had iTunes 8 by accident right now wouldn't be creating a web page with lists of features, screenshots, Google Ads and other banner ads, and then getting hits by tens of thousands of curious people.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    You know guys, I have 10.7 i just found somewhere on an Apple site. But, I don't want any legal problems with Apple, so I can't show it to you. Features you ask? Well, its a not a finished build, so..

-.-
  • Reply 16 of 44
    How about emailing us a copy.

I wont tell... promise
  • Reply 17 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am hoping it will have iPhone disk use.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:

You know guys, I have 10.7 i just found somewhere on an Apple site. But, I don't want any legal problems with Apple, so I can't show it to you. Features you ask? Well, its a not a finished build, so..

10.7 as in OSX 10.7? You gotta be kidding, 10.6 hasn't even been released yet.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

10.7 as in OSX 10.7? You gotta be kidding, 10.6 hasn't even been released yet.

Ever heard of sarcasm???
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I am hoping it will have iPhone disk use.

ME TOO!!! With the ability to email those files!