New Mac OS X User

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello

My name is Hector

Iam new to the forums and this is my problem

It might be minor but I cant get around it (being an ex PC user).

I recently bought a used mac. It had MAC OS X 10.4.4 and I wanted to upgrade it to MAC OS X 10.5.4 so I cant get all the new features. When it finished dowloading and was ready to install it gives me a message saying "Bill of Materials is needed to complete this instalation". I would really appreciate if someone lets me what this means and how to fix it. I love macs and I dont want to go into the relationship I had with my PC with my new mac.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    When you upgrade from 10.4 (Tiger) to 10.5 (Leopard) you need a real live legit installation CD. It is not a downloadable 'update'.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    "Bill of Materials" is like a receipt that the system keeps so it can keep track of what Apple programs and updates have been installed. Sounds like some or all of them are missing... this can only happen if someone goes in and deletes them.

You might have to reinstall the system, but if you're moving from Tiger to Leopard you have to do that anyway. Buy the Leopard install DVD, it is not a free download as Sherman has stated already.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

"Bill of Materials" is like a receipt that the system keeps so it can keep track of what Apple programs and updates have been installed. Sounds like some or all of them are missing... this can only happen if someone goes in and deletes them.

You might have to reinstall the system, but if you're moving from Tiger to Leopard you have to do that anyway. Buy the Leopard install DVD, it is not a free download as Sherman has stated already.

Yeah, go out and buy it. It's not that expensive.