Slingbox Help Needed Very Badly

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
For some unknown reason, remote viewing works with my slingbox, but not with my macbook pro. While I am at a college which has some kind of firewall, other students have the same laptop as I do, and have no problems using their slingbox, or even mine. I've disabled my laptops firewall, tinkered with my router, and tried every suggestion I've gotten. I've spoke to 5 different people at apple, and 10 different people at slingbox to no avail...I'm beginning to think that the problem is just some setting on my laptop inhibiting the slingbox syncing with my laptop. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dito View Post

For some unknown reason, remote viewing works with my slingbox, but not with my macbook pro. While I am at a college which has some kind of firewall, other students have the same laptop as I do, and have no problems using their slingbox, or even mine. I've disabled my laptops firewall, tinkered with my router, and tried every suggestion I've gotten. I've spoke to 5 different people at apple, and 10 different people at slingbox to no avail...I'm beginning to think that the problem is just some setting on my laptop inhibiting the slingbox syncing with my laptop. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

If other people are able to view your slingbox on their laptops then the problem is with your laptop. Can you give more detail as to what happens when you try to play the files? Could be corruption. I'm assuming you reinstalled software but what about OS X, reinstall that?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    My laptop seems to be able to locate the slingbox, but gets stuck on the connecting phase, and usually stalls there for a minute or so. Then, I always get the same error message, "connection failed- you can't connect to the slingbox right now. Make sure it's set up for remote viewing, and that the network router the slingbox is connected to has the correct Port Forwarding settings."

I've tried reinstalling both the operating system, and slingbox software...also, the slingbox works fine on my laptop when i am connected to the LAN
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dito View Post

My laptop seems to be able to locate the slingbox, but gets stuck on the connecting phase, and usually stalls there for a minute or so. Then, I always get the same error message, "connection failed- you can't connect to the slingbox right now. Make sure it's set up for remote viewing, and that the network router the slingbox is connected to has the correct Port Forwarding settings."

I've tried reinstalling both the operating system, and slingbox software...also, the slingbox works fine on my laptop when i am connected to the LAN

Are you saying that if you and your laptop are sitting right next to you and your friends laptop that his will connect to your Slingbox but your laptop will not? And your firewall is off?

I don't know then, talk to your college to see if there is some extra fee you need to pay in order to open up ports for a Slingbox (port 5001). Or you can test the port yourself with your Mac