Mockup of new iTunes 8.0 interface published

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

how is that any different than what there is now. all you have done is removed the store from the application. otherwise your itunes lite still plays and syncs just like itunes does. and you can select your syncing already.

Scratch the music and video playback. maybe they need something like AT&T has for activating iPhones. Like the mini-player in iTunes, but this only shows you info for syncing, no burning, no music, no Apple Store, no opening the full iTunes just to charge and do a sync. Honestly, I don't think any of this ideas are practical but I try to see thing the opposing argument. Sometimes it's just not that easy.
  • Reply 62 of 96
    Quote:

yes but you have to also think about Joe and Jane Public who would be confused as heck if they had to open up 3-5 different programs to get stuff on their iphones and ipods. they are the ones that itunes as a one stop shop for syncing was designed for and they are still a dominant market for apple. some 70-80% if not more of iphone and ipod buyers are PC users and Apple hopes to get at least half of them using Mac computers instead. but if you make the handheld to confusing for them, they won't want to make the switch.

I'm not sure if they'd be more at home or not based on the presence of segmented apps like Address Book, iCal, Mail, iMovie, and iDVD. My guess is there are Windows users who expected to see the first three of these all in one app (like me back in '02) and were pleasantly surprised to find they could work with each app functionally while exploiting the data from the other apps. It's very elegant in its simultaneous simplicity and functionality, and was a major element of me getting used to and happy with a Mac.

I think we're seeing a lot of people right now in the press going crazy over the new task paradigm that iPhone presents through a limited size interface which requires single task focus when it's been in Apple's DNA all along. What's seemingly made applications unattractive to most users in the past has been interface complexity. This would be a big step toward the original design of these applications and another key platform differentiator that would return the huge glob of media governed by iTunes into something with much greater immediacy (for lack of a less marketing-esque term).
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Knowing the traditional "Wrath of Jobs" for (unauthorized) premature leaks, I'm guessing he has Steve's blessing. It's been hypothesized for many years that these announcements are orchestrated by 1 Infinite Loop, and if there isn't any blow-back from Apple to Rose, I'm guessing he's in on the announcement.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColeSQ View Post

I'm not sure if they'd be more at home or not based on the presence of segmented apps like Address Book, iCal, Mail, iMovie, and iDVD. My guess is there are Windows users who expected to see the first three of these all in one app (like me back in '02) and were pleasantly surprised to find they could work with each app functionally while exploiting the data from the other apps. It's very elegant in its simultaneous simplicity and functionality, and was a major element of me getting used to and happy with a Mac.

I think we're seeing a lot of people right now in the press going crazy over the new task paradigm that iPhone presents through a limited size interface which requires single task focus when it's been in Apple's DNA all along. What's seemingly made applications unattractive to most users in the past has been complexity. This would be a big step toward the original design of these applications and another key platform differentiator that would return the huge glob of media governed by iTunes into something with much greater immediacy (for lack of a less marketing-esque term).

It's not about taking the features out, it's about how they're used. This is what makes the best Apple apps great. When I want to rip/organize/watch/rate video media it might be logical to just see video media. If I want to play music through the house, I don't want to see all the other crap, including which iPhone applications I have installed.

I know I'm jumping in the middle of a firestorm here, but it seems to come down to a fundamental approach to interface development that Apple is normally zealous about, yet in this case has continued to bloat and cross their own lines on ease of use. Average users (none of us) just don't want to take their learning cycles in this big of a chunk, which is partly why there is so much talk around the elegance of good apps on the iPhone - one function.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:

assuming there ever is one. i'm not believing that rumor until I see it.

That's the wishful thinker in me... keep hoping this event is going to have some sizzle, and thinking this would be one smart move to bundle with MobileMe at a great price.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A bit angry there, kkp. The problem with having an iTunes that ONLY syncs your music and an iTunes that ONLY syncs your videos is that it offers no convenience and makes the work of doing a simple sync more complex and convoluted. Should there also be a version of iTunes that ONLY syncs your apps and games, too? You want a simpler iTunes, we get that, but making multiple iTunes that require a lot more effort to perform a simple task is going the opposite way. You can uncheck Movies, TV Shows, etc from the side bar. If you have none installed the only evidence you'll see of this is the tab listing when you click on the device.

...but what of the fact that we're doing this right now with our photos in iPhoto, er at least that's where we have to go to sync what's been taken on the iPod/iPhone?
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Quote:

sorry but I disagree. itunes as a one stop shop is what makes the most sense for the most people. remember the power users like yourself are only perhaps 5% of the computer users out there. perhaps much less.

and I disagree that being the OSS for syncing is what might make itunes bloated or that it is an unnecessary bloat. Microsoft Office for the Mac is 200MB and most of it is tons of clip art and crap. now that is bloat. itunes and the library file is maybe 1/4 that.

Attributing bloat to app size just shows how ignorant and out-of-touch you are.

I think you should use a PC. There's lots of bloated software and one-stop shops on Windows. You'll be soooooooo happy.
  • Reply 68 of 96
    Quote:

Are you sure they are given to Apple as a master copy or CD or some other format? I find it hard to believe that they deliver it to Apple in Apple's own lossless codec. I think 256kbps AAC is fine, but I think it would go a long way to make then 320kbps, which has been considered "CD quality" by most, despite the nature of the MP3s that it was encoded in.

AFAIK, Apple has been requiring music to be submitted in Apple Lossless for 2-3 years now. I hope 256Kbps becomes the new standard (anything below 192Kbs is unacceptable), with iTunes Plus files jumping to DRM-free lossless for $1.29 each.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ColeSQ View Post

...but what of the fact that we're doing this right now with our photos in iPhoto, er at least that's where we have to go to sync what's been taken on the iPod/iPhone?

True, and I hate it, but the answer to preventing iTunes AND iPhoto opening up is not to have iTunes Music, iTunes Video and iPhoto open up. I would like a "whisper sync" method that would do everything without having to call these large apps every time.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Quote:

A bit angry there, kkp. The problem with having an iTunes that ONLY syncs your music and an iTunes that ONLY syncs your videos is that it offers no convenience and makes the work of doing a simple sync more complex and convoluted. Should there also be a version of iTunes that ONLY syncs your apps and games, too? You want a simpler iTunes, we get that, but making multiple iTunes that require a lot more effort to perform a simple task is going the opposite way. You can uncheck Movies, TV Shows, etc from the side bar. If you have none installed the only evidence you'll see of this is the tab listing when you click on the device.

Yes...there should be an app for the App Store/iTunes Store. It should ALL be broken up into separate apps.

It doesn't make things more inconvenient unless the integration between these apps is non-existent. But I have several ideas how these separate apps can work together and sync together without things be complicated and convoluted.

Pretending like the sync task would be complicated and convoluted if audio, video and app management was handled across 3 apps isn't going to fool anyone but people that have no imagination and PC app developers.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Is Kevin's penis so small that he has to give away all the hard earned products before Apple has a chance to present them? Think of all the programmers and designers, not to mention shareholders, that Kevin is crapping on all so he can get his little ego boost.

We know you weren't "the popular kid" in high school Kevin, but sorry this doesn't make up for it.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    The new (old) vizualizer is amazing. How beautiful with that look on a 65" flat panel!!

Why don't they have visualizers for the music contained on AppleTV???

Any mods for adding visualizers by chance?
  • Reply 73 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Yes...there should be an app for the App Store/iTunes Store. It should ALL be broken up into separate apps.

It doesn't make things more inconvenient unless the integration between these apps is non-existent. But I have several ideas how these separate apps can work together and sync together without things be complicated and convoluted.

Pretending like the sync task would be complicated and convoluted if audio, video and app management was handled across 3 apps isn't going to fool anyone but people that have no imagination and PC app developers.

It's PCs where apps are notoriously separated. I don't see how you think hat opening up one version of iTunes to sync your music, then closing it and opening up another version to sync your videos, then closing it, then opening up another for your apps, then closing it, would make any sense and be easier for the end user. The point of progress is to eliminate effort. Would you are recommend a separate app for games and for each kind of video (Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, Podcast)?

I agree that iTunes is bloated, but making a bunch of separate apps is not progress. I remember trying to make a DVD backup on Windows which required me to run an app to remove the CSS, then run another app to shrink it fit on a SL-DVD, then another to actually burn it. Now DVD backup can be done in a single step. That is progress.
  • Reply 74 of 96
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Also iTunes should definitely default to being in the browse mode.

I would agree, but you just switch browse mode on once and it stays on forever.
  • Reply 75 of 96
    Quote:

It's PCs where apps are notoriously separated.

NO...gtfo.

Quote:

I don't see how you think hat opening up one version of iTunes to sync your music, then closing it and opening up another version to sync your videos, then closing it, then opening up another for your apps, then closing it, would make any sense and be easier for the end user.

Perhaps because you're only using a few synapses in your brain to actually think about a solution that would make syncing easier than closing and opening apps.

Quote:

The point of progress is to eliminate effort. Would you are recommend a separate app for games and for each kind of video (Movies, TV Shows, Music Videos, Podcast)?

No...because it all pertains to video. In fact, I always propose that DVD Player get merged into an iTunes-like video-only app. iTunes handles music and music CDs, iTheater could handle video and DVD movies.

Quote:

I agree that iTunes is bloated, but making a bunch of separate apps is not progress. I remember trying to make a DVD backup on Windows which required me to run an app to remove the CSS, then run another app to shrink it fit on a SL-DVD, then another to actually burn it. Now DVD backup can be done in a single step. That is progress.

You're silly.

iTunes could be separated into multiple apps and act like iTunes and iPhoto currently act and how other apps can tap into iPhoto/Aperture/iTunes libraries.

A single syncing app would tap into this library much like iWork and iLife tap into these libraries using the Media Inspector.

It's not rocket science. It's not voodoo magic. Take the fuckin' bloat out of iTunes, create specialized apps to improve the experience for music, video, and iTunes Store/App Store, and app syncing.

In 99% of cases, people won't simultaneously be doing all four of these things...so it makes little sense to combine all 4 activities into a single app.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:

A single syncing app would tap into this library much like iWork and iLife tap into these libraries using the Media Inspector.

1) You might want to cut back on the personal attacks. It doesn't help your argument and it's the only rule that AI has.

2) DVD Player is a dedicated app for playback only that makes sense since it can't integrate with any of the iTunes local storage nor be used on iDevices. What strikes me as odd is your complaints about iTunes being bloated, wanting all the common aspects of syncing to an iDevice to be separate, but then want to bloat iTunes with a DVD app that offers no benefit to iTunes in any way. This doesn't make any sense.

3) In the text I quoted above, you mention the exact thing I stated earlier about having a SINGLE SYNCING APP that would do nothing but sync. No opening iTunes, no opening iPhoto, just syncing. What happened to your multiple apps for syncing different types of content? Again, this doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Maybe because its HIS JOB as a journalist to report the news. And part of a journalist's job is getting his site/publication/station/whatever more readers/viewers/whatever so that it makes more money. And one of the best ways to get that extra traffic is by breaking news stories BEFORE everyone else. Otherwise, it becomes OLD NEWS no one really cares about.

If it meant that much to you, why did you click on the link to read this story? Oh right, because you wanted to know about iTunes 8. I guess Kevin did his job pretty well then.

Whoever writes his paychecks might have cared. He has a JOB to do simple as that. He's trying to make money just like anyone else with a job.

If you don't want the surprise ruined, don't click the link. It's not rocket science.

Well said Kevin!!
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:

1) You might want to cut back on the personal attacks. It doesn't help your argument and it's the only rule that AI has.

2) DVD Player is a dedicated app for playback only that makes sense since it can't integrate with any of the iTunes local storage nor be used on iDevices. What strikes me as odd is your complaints about iTunes being bloated, wanting all the common aspects of syncing to an iDevice to be separate, but then want to bloat iTunes with a DVD app that offers no benefit to iTunes in any way. This doesn't make any sense.

3) In the text I quoted above, you mention the exact thing I stated earlier about having a SINGLE SYNCING APP that would do nothing but sync. No opening iTunes, no opening iPhoto, just syncing. What happened to your multiple apps for syncing different types of content? Again, this doesn't make any sense.

I said iTunes-LIKE video app! I also never said that the separate apps couldn't sync their own content. I'm sorry but my personal attacks are RIGHT IN LINE with your intelligence level. Gawd. I hate this place. I'm going to attack you intelligence as long as you show none and moderators can ban if they want but it won't change my perception of you.
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:

Yes...what the fuck is wrong with opening another app and syncing movies to your iPod? It makes lots of sense. YOU make little sense. iTunes can't be the end-all app that syncs everything but the kitchen sink (haha) to your iPod...because that makes it unnecessarily bloated.

Listen to what you're saying, man. What if I told you "So... to read e-mail or browse the web on Mac OS X, you'll need to open two applications? That makes little sense. E-mail and browsing the web are two internet-related activities and should be combined into one app."

My ass it does. YOU make no sense.

Mind the personal attacks, dude... \
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Mind the personal attacks, dude... \

If there was anything in that quote that was a personal attack, please point it out. If telling someone they make no sense is a personal attack, than calling me 'dude' is a personal attack, DUDE!

I'm done with this place.