Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
or should i buy this shareware?

<a href="http://www.unsanity.com/haxies.php"; target="_blank">web page</a>

g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I did and I like it. What's it cost...$7.00? Get it!

edit: no, I don't think Apple will add it...since it's a shareware choice now

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Artman @_@ ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 11
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    Actually I would expect them TO add it now that it's a shareware item. Just think about all the "add-on" INIT's OS 9 had and how many of them Apple adopted into the OS. I'd like to name a few but I'm catching a brief stint on the net in between classes.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kaboomkaboom Posts: 286member
    hell, I bought it the day it came out. Installed it on any machine I could find that had OSX on it.

Apple should bring it back, but they think the dock is useful so I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    [quote] edit: no, I don't think Apple will add it...since it's a shareware choice now <hr></blockquote>

true...but how many people will search the web looking for it?? really think apple should just pay these people and the guy who makes usb overdrive and include these programs with the next os upgrade....would really like to limit all the little extra files all over the place....just my thoughts...i will probably add this though at 7 bucks and usb overdrive at 20 bucks....g
  • Reply 5 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No. Probably never again, but never say never.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I personally never liked windowshading. It got way too cluttered with all the title bars everywhere. That said, I do believe that they should make it an option. I'm not one of those people who says that everything should be an option (I think it would increase instability in the system if there were too many options to select from), but this one and spring-loaded folders should be the first options Apple implements. Are there any REAL options available in OS X? Here's to hoping that 10.2 brings back some individuality to the system...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I got it also. It comes in handy at times. For $7 how can you go wrong.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Buy it. WindowShade X is a nice add-on ware for OS X. Highly customizable so you don't have to use just one click combo and one behavior all the time. I don't use it everyday, but as Code Warrior metioned, there are times it definitely comes in handy.

This is what Apple couldn't figure out - it was apparently a black and white thing with them. Couldn't be possible that Windowshading was useful just some of the time. I think in their minds, things like this are either useful all the time, or none of the time. Wrong. Same with Spring Loaded folders if I had to guess.

They're learning though.If we don't get windowshading in 10.2 then probably it will show up in the next major update (towards the end of 2002 I'm guessing).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    Ha, you guys make me feel old.

Remember, WindowShade *was* originally a shareware product, and its polularity got Apple to include it in the system software, i think with System 8.x.

So the idea that Apple wouldn't add it to X because it's shareware now doesn't cut it.

I do understand that Apple will, in 10.2, incorporate an alternative to minimizing windows to the dock, but I don't think it will exactly be "windowshade" functionality.

Fun.

NeilyB
  • Reply 10 of 11
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    It won't be back anytime soon. Why? Think about what windowshading is for:

1. Short term: glance at what's behind a window.

2. Long term: put away a window for a while.

#1 isn't needed any longer because of live dragging, just drag a window away, glance under it, and drag it back. Fast as windowshading.

#2 is served by minimizing windows into the dock.

So really there is no need for windowshade. If you are used to it and don't want to change your habits then the shareware is nice, but since there is no real need from an interface standpoint, Apple is not going to clutter up OS X with the feature.