"real-time"dock

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know if this has been discussed before but will the dock ever update a window minimised in it? For example, if I was downloading something and put it in the dock, I could see the status bar move in the dock.

just wondering

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The dock is realtime if the apps in it are designed to take advantage of it. Just stick a Terminal window or QuickTime Player window in it...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    rmh1572rmh1572 Posts: 94member
    Do you think in time more apps will take advantage? Or will developers consider it to trivial to worry about
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    OmniWeb does that. It is great, you can see when your web page has loaded. It is a great feature. You can see it change in real time.

Too bad Internet Explorer doesnt do that. OR iTunes. That would be great. Visualization in the dock.....that would be cool. Or maybe have a thing in Final Cut Pro in the dock icon for how long it is along in the rendering. That would be nice as well.

Man, the dock is usefull!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Perhaps more applications will take advantage of the dock when the OS is more optimized. Try running a top window in terminal while minimized in the dock...not fun on my Ti book.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    there are a few fun examples (IllumineX Rox for example) and some very useful ones too (OmniWeb page loading for example). Currently it's not really pushed by Apple in their UI guidelines - they just say any app must have a quality icon. Like so many other perks of the Dock and the new UI - Dock menus, badges, sheets, toolbars, etc. some developers seem to either think that a port of their current UI is good enough or that they will get their apps on OS X first, then add these features later. There really are some excellent UI improvements in Aqua, but I think people are kinda stuck either on the appearance or on their old UI behavior.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    If anyone is running Toast Titanium 5.1.2, it has a live status bar in the dock under the icon while burning the CD. I think it's nice and should be utilized by more apps.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Yeah Omniweb's download window is updated realtime in the dock, but try that with top running. CPU utilization is horrible, it goes through the roof on the dock, OW, and I think the window manager but I don't remember. Anyways I don't ever do it because the system becomes so unresponsive (400 MHz G4).

But if somehow CPU load could be optimized, it would be a nice feature.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    yeah, the status bars are really nice. I like how in Windows when you minimize, say, a file copy it shows the progress in the task bar. It would be nice if X would do that.