Last minute: iPod nano with sensor, iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple will announce later today an entire refresh to its iPod family of digital media players, including an iPod nano with some form of motion sensor, AppleInsider has been told.

Longstanding sources report that a new version of the iPod shuffle will be made available in 5 colors, while an update to the iPod classic will arrive in just two colors -- black and silver as the options exist today. The iPod touch will not be offered with a color choice and look very similar to today's model.

More significantly, however, those same sources report that Apple will offer its new elongated iPod nano in 9 colors. The player will reportedly be the first non-Multi-Touch iPod to sport a motion or orientation sensor, according to two people familiar with the matter.

One of those people described a function by which the iPod's 'shuffle' function is invoked when a user physically shakes the player. Another person said the new nano would be capable of determining its orientation and provide a more natural Cover Flow view in landscape mode.

While AppleInsider's sources did not comment on specific colors or capacity, similar information passed on to MacRumors earlier this morning indicates the three new colors for the nano will include Purple, Yellow, and Orange. The nano is expected to be available in 8GB and 16GB models, while the iPod touch remains 8GB, 16GB and 32GB capacities. CrunchGear claims the new iPod classic will be offered in a 120GB model.

People familiar with Apple's plans for the new players say they'll be made available for sale at Apple Retail stores immediately following their introduction today.

Apple's "Let's Rock" event kicks off 10:00 a.m. Pacific time, 1:00 p.m. Eastern. Stay tuned to AppleInsider for coverage throughout the day.

An image of the the new iPod nano published by MacNN.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will announce later today an entire refresh to its iPod family of digital media players, including an iPod nano with some form of motion sensor, AppleInsider has been told.

Longstanding sources report that a new version of the iPod shuffle will be made available in 5 colors, while an update to the iPod classic will arrive in just two colors -- black and silver as the options exist today. The iPod touch will not be offered with a color choice and look very similar to today's model.

More significantly, however, those same sources report that Apple will offer its new elongated iPod nano in 9 colors. The player will reportedly be the first non-Multi-Touch iPod to sport a motion or orientation sensor, according to two people familiar with the matter.

One of those people described a function by which the iPod's 'shuffle' function is invoked when a user physically shakes the player. Another person said the new nano would be capable of determining its orientation and provide a more natural Cover Flow view in landscape mode.

While AppleInsider's sources did not comment on specific colors or capacity, similar information passed on to MacRumors earlier this morning indicates the three new colors for the nano will include Purple, Yellow, and Orange. The nano is expected to be available in 8GB and 16GB models, while the iPod touch remains 8GB, 16GB and 32GB capacities. CrunchGear claims the new iPod classic will be offered in a 120GB model.

People familiar with Apple's plans for the new players say they will be made available for sale at Apple Retail stores immediately following their introduction today.

Apple's "Let's Rock" event kicks off 10:00 a.m. Pacific time, 1:00 p.m. central. Stay tuned to AppleInsider for coverage throughout the day.

It should be 12:00 p.m. central. Eastern time is 1:00 p.m.
  • Reply 2 of 144
    I have not heard but does anyone think the new touches will have GPS.
  • Reply 3 of 144
    I was hoping the new nanos would have the Nike+ sensor built in. That way you don't have to worry about connecting the receiver and just by the transmitter. We shall see.
  • Reply 4 of 144
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The motion sensor must be there for the click wheel controls to change orientation.
  • Reply 5 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The motion sensor must be there for the click wheel controls to change orientation.

But what about the symbols on the click wheel? Wouldn't that be confusing unless they could change too?
  • Reply 6 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

I have not heard but does anyone think the new touches will have GPS.

I think there may be a reasonable chance. The biggest negative to this would be the fact that the way Apple handles maps would not work on the touch if you were wandering around (loading the maps from the network), but 3rd party developers could provide downloaded maps and navigation, etc. Apple might think they have an opening in the GPS market which they could exploit. I think it would be a good idea, but then again I'm probably in the market for a touch.

The other possibilities are a camera, a microphone/earphone and speakers. Speakers would be a good idea since you could use the touch without headphones. The camera is probably a bit of a longshot. The microphone/earphone is probably the least likely as I don't see Apple seeing, much of a market in for portable VOIP.

I guess it all hinges on what Apple sees as the positioning of the touch, if it cannibalise the iPhone and how much the product would cost. If they don't up the memory sizes and keep roughly the same price, then some extra features would be called for. Apple generally doesn't like lowering prices too much so some extra is on the cards.

So my guess, in order of likeliness:

- Speakers

- GPS

- Camera

- Microphone/earphone
  • Reply 7 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

But what about the symbols on the click wheel? Wouldn't that be confusing unless they could change too?

They could have two sets of symbols one of which is backlit depending on the orientation (the other ones become invisible if not backlit).
  • Reply 8 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I was thinking they will be built in to the earphones... if the listener starts shaking his head, the iPod will switch quickly to the next song; if the user starts nodding in time with the music, the song will be replayed.
  • Reply 9 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I was thinking they will be built in to the earphones... if the listener starts shaking his head, the iPod will switch quickly to the next song; if the user starts nodding in time with the music, the song will be replayed.

You forgot pause if the user has a seizure.
  • Reply 10 of 144
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AI ??? The classic exists today in silver not white.
  • Reply 11 of 144
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Now we are all whipping up our hopes, dreams, and expectations so high we can only be disappointed. It happens every time.
  • Reply 12 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Now we are all whipping up our hopes, dreams, and expectations so high we can only be disappointed. It happens every time.

If you think of it as "change" you won't be dissapointed.
  • Reply 13 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Just don't use your nano whilst driving in NY. or when ski-ing moguls... or when...
  • Reply 14 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post

I was hoping the new nanos would have the Nike+ sensor built in. That way you don't have to worry about connecting the receiver and just by the transmitter. We shall see.

That would be a killer app for me.

Nike+ appeals to the stats nerd in me and changed my entire attitude about running. I live getting home, plugging in, and seeing my pacing, compare to previous runs, look at monthly totals, etc.

Other than a built in sensor, the biggest feature I would like to see is more sophisticated verbal cues. I would like to be able to set parameters for a run -- such as staying between a 9:00 and 9:30 pace, setting up intervals, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 144
    ajayajay Posts: 117member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

• Reply 16 of 144
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    My guess is that the motion sensor is for pedometer integration, too. The nano is used a lot for exercise, and integration of the Nike+ and/or pedometers and such would enhance that use case.
  • Reply 17 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

My guess is that the motion sensor is for pedometer integration, too. The nano is used a lot for exercise, and integration of the Nike+ and/or pedometers and such would enhance that use case.

Hopefully someone comes out with an add-on pincher attachment to provide us with body fat analysis on our pods.
  • Reply 18 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

as an epileptic i feel insulted
  • Reply 19 of 144
    Shuffles when you shake? Sorry, AI, but I'm calling your bluff on this one. If you're jogging without the hold button on, you'll shuffle your songs whether you want to or not.

It will contain a sensor to detect what direction the iPod is being held - naturally - for watching movies in landscape orientation.

Shuffles when you shake, get real...

-Clive
  • Reply 20 of 144
    Accelerometers are small and cheap, so I could see them adding one to the nano to determine orientation, as in the iPhone and iPod touch. When the player is in the landscape orientation, the iPod would enter Cover Flow. In Cover Flow, you really only need the scroll wheel and center select buttons to make it work. Scroll through, select an album, select a song. I suppose they could add a "back" button to the album detail view so you still only need the scroll wheel, or maybe a "shake" gesture. Turn the player back to portrait orientation, and Cover Flow disappears.

Video would, of course, play back in landscape mode only. Even on current iPods nano and classic, the labeled buttons aren't really necessary when playing video -- you can cycle through various settings by clicking the Select button and using the scroll wheel to make your adjustments.

Since everything else is done in the portrait orientation, the labeled buttons aren't really a problem. Now, what would be really cool would be if they did the same thing to the iPod classic so it could have a bigger screen, but I really doubt it.