Last minute: iPod nano with sensor, iPod touch, iPod classic, iPod shuffle

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

iBrator? (marital aid for the boudoir?and plays music)

iLator? (universal translator from Martian to Venusian and vice verse?and plays music)

iLidder? (automatically puts the toilet seat down?and plays music)

iSitter? (intravenously administers apple juice and Ritalin to kids?and plays music)

iCork (attaches to spouse during sleep to prevent snoring?and plays music)

iBanker (WiFii online banking device that caps shopping spree spending?and plays music)

iBlinder (causes temporary blindness initiated by souse's wandering eye?and plays music)

iStrator (the iBlinder but in Spinal Tap-eese, "goes to 11" and enables male spouse to sing soprano?and plays music)

iBelt (similar to iBlinder but for wife and comes with auto Midol dispenser, wings for added security, and digital lock only accessible by husband?and plays music)

I hope they're all touch screen!
  • Reply 62 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Why do you need GPRS or anything else? So it takes about 30 secs longer to get a fix. Any mobile radio hardware in the touch would make it much more expensive, bigger and defeat the purpose.

You don't, hence my parentheses around GPRS, but the cost to value may be worthwhile so i included it as a possibility. My standalone GPS units can take several minutes to get an initial fix so I don't know about the 30 second difference. In poor weather conditions GPRS would be far more reliable and faster than GPS.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    I'm liveblogging the liveblogging, check this comment for updates.

- iTunes 8: more ways for Apple to flog stuff to you.

- Apple boasts that it has an MP3 player monopoly.

- iPod classic is semi-cancelled.

- iPod nano, no suprises.

- Shake to shuffle! Who's idea was that again? The epileptics among us will be hearing a lot of half-songs.

- iPod touch: no GPS, bit of a price drop.

- Phil Schiller is a bit fat.

- iPhone 2.1 software to squish bugs.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    Quote:

Shh, Mass is about to begin. We should all genuflect and say Steve's prayer:

Steve, who art at Apple, hallowed by thyne design sensibilities.

Give us today our new product and

deliver us from temptation to buy another brand,

for yours is the look, the feature and the price,

for ever and ever.

Amen.

I pray to Cupertino 5x a day.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You don't, hence my parentheses around GPRS, but the cost to value may be worthwhile so i included it as a possibility. My standalone GPS units can take several minutes to get an initial fix so I don't know about the 30 second difference. In poor weather conditions GPRS would be far more reliable and faster than GPS.

GPRS is a pretty poor way of getting a position, and I think you mean GSM since GPRS is the IP data protocol. Anyway the point of the touch is for people who don't want a phone.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r7vrx View Post

Does anyone else think they might launch the Beatles catalogue on iTunes today as well? Haven't they been sitting on the rights for quite some time?

By their CDs, import to iTunes, enjoy them at a bit rate that does them justice, no need to worry about DRM?problem solved ;-)
  • Reply 67 of 144
    Quote:

By their CDs, import to iTunes, enjoy them at a bit rate that does them justice, no need to worry about DRM?problem solved ;-)

Way ahead of you

However, I just thought it was a theory I could throw out there...
  • Reply 68 of 144
    Quote:

GPRS is a pretty poor way of getting a position, and I think you mean GSM since GPRS is the IP data protocol. Anyway the point of the touch is for people who don't want a phone.

It's very slow compared to EDGE compared to UMTS compared to HSDPA, but it's faster than GPS data retrievable and more reliable in bad weather. I;m not suggesting a phone in the Touch, but what Kindle has done. I'm not even suggesting it as likely, just speculation what could happen based on other products (read: Kindle) offering an extra added value.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Well since the one thing that seems a given is that the new nano screen will be taller than it is wide, it pretty much has to have a motion sensor so that when you turn the then on its side the video will also rotate to allow you to watch in wide screen - just like the touch.

I seriously dobut it will do anything other than that at all. Maybe as pointed out it will reorient the click wheel too but unless the click wheel now has some sort of back light set of icons (OLED anyone - okay sorry now I'm doing it) I'm not sure how well that is going to work.

Shaking it to activate shuffle? Blah - dumb considering that many people use nanos for working out.

Oh - how about this - an Etch-a-sketch function. Shake the iPod and it erases your library - oh wait my gen two had that - it was called a hard drive......

Well, I was wrong - shake to shuffle - he actually just said it! Colour me surprised.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Shuffles when you shake? Sorry, AI, but I'm calling your bluff on this one. If you're jogging without the hold button on, you'll shuffle your songs whether you want to or not.

It will contain a sensor to detect what direction the iPod is being held - naturally - for watching movies in landscape orientation.

Shuffles when you shake, get real...

I stand corrected. Shake-to-Shuffle is in... I am not too pleased about that. Will annoy many exercisers...

-Clive
  • Reply 71 of 144
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:

iBrator? (marital aid for the boudoir?and plays music)

it's called an OhMyBod....

*coughs*
  • Reply 73 of 144
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    They needed an event for this? Was there one thing earth shattering here? Did I miss it? It's beginning to look like the boy who cried "Wolf"!
  • Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They need an event for this? Was there one thing earth shattering? It's beginning to look like the boy who cried "Wolf"!

fixed
  • Reply 75 of 144
    Quote:

They need an event for this? Was there one thing earth shattering here? Did I miss it? It's beginning to look like the boy who cried "Wolf"!

I don't think Apple claimed it was earth shattering.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    is that all? that's really a "big deal"
  • Reply 77 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I stand corrected. Shake-to-Shuffle is in... I am not too pleased about that. Will annoy many exercisers...

-Clive

I don't think so. You have to do a vigorous shake.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't think so. You have to do a vigorous shake.

Some people exercise vigourously.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

They needed an event for this? Was there one thing earth shattering here? Did I miss it? It's beginning to look like the boy who cried "Wolf"!

It's not supposed to be. It's a press event showing off new, or updated products. What do you expect these things to be?

If people weren't interested, the press wouldn't show up.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Quote:

The whole was lackluster, and the pushing of Genius was excessive. Not one one HW change that sets the iPod farther apart from the competition than it already is, and the Nano changes seem more of a game of catchup with some of it's features.