Wonder if FM radio figures this time ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Why is this present in almost all players except the ipod. Surely others have good music quality as well - take sony, creative, sansa, philips ... anyone.

I have been buying mac-incompatible devices for the radio feature alone.

none of those pigs add a mac driver or utility. they are quite happy to release a gruesome interface even by windows standards - take olympus m:robe of yesteryears - but not a mac interface.

and the ipod WILL NOT have a builtin radio - i hate to hang an external appendage for a radio and pay another $50 bucks for it.

Guess they will be worried about litigation about reception being ipod's fault though. combined with the fact that everyone and their dog wants to sue apple to make some money on the side ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I'd rather have DAB.

FM is an anachronism.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    This is the way that Apple does things. Our favorite fruit company has never been about adding every feature in the World just because it can. Judging by its marketshare and total sales, the absence of a built-in FM tuner has not hurt the iPod. You still have the option of buying a third-party tuner or a digital music player from a competitor. You have chosen the latter course.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

This is the way that Apple does things. Our favorite fruit company has never been about adding every feature in the World just because it can. Judging by its marketshare and total sales, the absence of a built-in FM tuner has not hurt the iPod. You still have the option of buying a third-party tuner or a digital music player from a competitor. You have chosen the latter course.

I don't disagree wtb your take on Apple but I see the lack of FM as rather stupid. Mainly because the right selection of chips could result in an FM radio at a very low cost since such functionality is built into a number of networking chips. Further if that doesn't work for you stand alone FM chips have become extremely small of late.

It is one thing to deliver a product when the tech is not there it is another thing to ignore it when your users know the tech exists and is not an excessive expense. Given all that I do wonder if 3G might have FM hardware hidden away some place inside as some of the chips come with variants to do FM.

All in all it really wouldn't hurt Apple to become a little more responsive to consumer wants and needs. There are many examples of them simply not giving credit to the importance of consumer wants. FM obviously means more hardware if it isn't there already. It what really burns my buns is things like BluTooth on iPhone. It has been over a year and profile support is still not there. While I could understand why some profile would be supportted I can't help but to think that they are crazy not to have some of the profiles inplace by now.

So yeah maybe it is not Apples way but that doesn't mean people shouldn't speak up about what they would like to see. One shouldn't expect miracles but there are signs that Apple does listen if the right message comes across from enough people.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Well - I have been griping about that as well - http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...71#post1299771

Weird strategy indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't disagree wtb your take on Apple but I see the lack of FM as rather stupid. Mainly because the right selection of chips could result in an FM radio at a very low cost since such functionality is built into a number of networking chips. Further if that doesn't work for you stand alone FM chips have become extremely small of late.

It is one thing to deliver a product when the tech is not there it is another thing to ignore it when your users know the tech exists and is not an excessive expense. Given all that I do wonder if 3G might have FM hardware hidden away some place inside as some of the chips come with variants to do FM.

All in all it really wouldn't hurt Apple to become a little more responsive to consumer wants and needs. There are many examples of them simply not giving credit to the importance of consumer wants. FM obviously means more hardware if it isn't there already. It what really burns my buns is things like BluTooth on iPhone. It has been over a year and profile support is still not there. While I could understand why some profile would be supportted I can't help but to think that they are crazy not to have some of the profiles inplace by now.

So yeah maybe it is not Apples way but that doesn't mean people shouldn't speak up about what they would like to see. One shouldn't expect miracles but there are signs that Apple does listen if the right message comes across from enough people.

Dave

• Reply 5 of 10
    Adding an FM player could lead to you buying less music on iTunes.

I think thats why they wont do it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The ultimate would be to be able to record FM but that of course would lead to less music purchasing and I can understand why they would leave it out.

For the people who don't listen to radio...I listen to NPR every day. I would like to be able to listen to it on my iPod from time to time too. FM and a microphone. Two things that Apple should have added since oh say the first iPod. Or at least the second one. It's nuts it STILL doesn't have either. Lots of people listen to the radio. How else will you get weather, traffic, etc., if you don't have a shiny new iPhone? And of course, how will you listen to the latest tacky ads for furniture store going out of business sales?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    they should have had FM, voice recording and FM recording as found even in today's players - I know Creative pulled out this feature from its players due to a lawsuit or some such crap ? But I have a Sony NWZB105FBLK - that does all of the above. (I also have a Creative Muvo2FM, Olympus m:robe 100, Creative Zen Stone Plus and the Rio PMP300 - I know - cerebral excitement does exist to some degree - I am like that - get used to it).

Of all, the Sony is the best for FM recordings - that I use to record cartalk sessions on (from NPR) and later play it at home. It always is tuned to 90.9;

Any weaklings claiming there is no need for radio on the device are lame.

I am mighty pissed that not one of these has a mac driver, nor does ipod have a radio built-in.

@#$%%^@#$%&%^*$%&^
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Count me as one who thinks they ought to come with FM (and AM) radio. Maybe HD radio would be a better choice?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    No FM is my opinion. Apple doesn't see FM as a must have for sales. They won't do it. Hell they wont add DVR to AppleTV and that actually would help sales x 4 at least. FM wouldn't effect iPod.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Isn't there still an add on remote that provides an FM tuner?