Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday introduced the new fourth generation iPod nano, the thinnest iPod ever featuring a built-in accelerometer and new tapered design with a curved aluminum and glass enclosure, in nine more vibrant colors.

The new iPod nano incorporates the Cupertino-based company's new "Genius technology" which automatically creates playlists from songs in your music library that go great together, with just one click.

The fourth generation Nano, with a new 'tapered tube' form factor revealed in advance by accessory makers, is the thinnest ever with recycle-friendly designs that use arsenic-free glass and are also clean of Brominated Flame Retardants, mercury, and PVC plastics.

The new iPod nano also features a refined user interface, a high resolution portrait display and a built-in accelerometer that automatically switches to Cover Flow when rotated. Users can swipe the click wheel to run through Cover Flow titles. It can also be used to browse through photos in Cover Flow mode and to shuffle songs just by shaking the player.

The new Nano also gets built-in audio recording features, the first in an iPod outside of the iPhone. Along with the new iPod touch, the new Nano will offer headphones with a mic as a $29 accessory option.

Users can expect up to 24 hours of music playback or four hours of video playback. An 8GB model will retail for just $149 and be available later this week, while a 16GB model for $199 is due in stores by next week. Both models come in a spectrum of 9 different colors: silver, purple, blue, green, orange, yellow, pink, (PRODUCT) RED and black.

"The iPod nano is the world's most popular music player and we've made it even better for this holiday season," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We think users are going to love the amazing new design, the automatic Genius playlist creation, as well as automatically going into Cover Flow with just a turn of the wrist."

The new nano blends a two-inch display with a curved aluminum and glass enclosure. It was was designed to fit even more comfortably in your hand, Apple says.

The 16GB model holds up to 4,000 songs, 14,000 photos and 16 hours of video, and the 8GB model holds up to 2,000 songs, 7,000 photos and eight hours of video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 87
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Waits for the newspaper story:

"Man arrested for shuffling in pocket"

"Downtown man Dave Johnson speaks of his shock at being arrested for shuffling his music on his new iPod as he was sitting on the bus/tube/tram this morning. 'I just had my iPod in my pocket, but I was tired of listening to Jack Johnson and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I just used the shake-to-shuffle feature. Next thing I know, women are looking at me with a look of disgust on their face, and at the next stop the police got on board and arrested me!' he says."
  • Reply 2 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Waits for the newspaper story:

"Man arrested for shuffling in pocket"

"Downtown man Dave Johnson speaks of his shock at being arrested for shuffling his music on his new iPod as he was sitting on the bus/tube/tram this morning. 'I just had my iPod in my pocket, but I was tired of listening to Jack Johnson and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I just used the shake-to-shuffle feature. Next thing I know, women are looking at me with a look of disgust on their face, and at the next stop the police got on board and arrested me!' he says."

Now that's hysterical!

On a subway here in NYC, someone would video clip it with their phone and it would be on the news that evening.

And The Post would headline it with his face pic" captioned "Caught Shakin' His Johnson"
  • Reply 3 of 87
    Why did they lower the size from 160 to 120? Well I'm glad I bought it when I did, size matters to me.
  • Reply 4 of 87
    Any of you guys who said NO WAY about shake to shuffle around right now??
  • Reply 5 of 87
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 16GB model holds up to 4,000 songs, 14,000 photos and 16 hours of video, and the 8GB model holds up to 2,000 songs, 7,000 photos and eight hours of video.

Should this read "OR 16 hours of video" and "OR eight hours of video"?
  • Reply 6 of 87
    More important than this yawn-fest of a Keynote ...

Can anyone tell me who the artists of the songs are in the two new advertisements or where on Apple's site one can find out?

Me like and want to buy.
  • Reply 7 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Why did they lower the size from 160 to 120? Well I'm glad I bought it when I did, size matters to me.

No offense guy, but Jobs said it in the keynote.

"no one buys (them"

You are in a tiny minority of users unfortunately for you.
  • Reply 8 of 87
    Quote:

They had 2 models, a thin one at 80GB and a thick one at 160GB.

Now they have 1 model, a thin one at 120GB at the same price point as the old 80GB.

Depending on your point of view, they may have:

- Discontinued the thick 160GB iPod Classic, and simultaneously upgraded the thin 80GB iPod Classic with extra capacity and support for a new headphone remote, at the same price point.

- Discontinued the 80GB iPod Classic, and simultaneously downgraded and slimmed-down the 160GB iPod Classic, with upgraded support for a new type of headphone remote, at a reduced price point.

- Merged the two iPod Classic variants into a compromise version that took the width and price of the smaller version, with a capacity equal to the average of the capacities of the two old versions, plus upgraded support for a new headphone remote.
  • Reply 9 of 87
    I think the new iPod nano models will be a hit this holiday season. The wide range of interesting colors should appeal to a wider base of users.
  • Reply 10 of 87
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It wasn't keynote. It was a "special event".
  • Reply 11 of 87
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Can anyone tell me who the artists of the songs are in the two new advertisements or where on Apple's site one can find out?

Me like and want to buy.

One word: "Shazam"

It is an App for the iPhone that listen to music on then tells you what the song name and who is the artist. Works 90% of the time.
  • Reply 12 of 87
    Quote:

If read together with a previous post, I guess size might matter to some
  • Reply 13 of 87
    Quote:

Agreed.

With the Zune update today, Microsoft seems to have a better product at the same price now if you compare the Zune 120 to the iPod classic. Same price and size, but the Zune has built in radio, wireless and a much better interface...

I guess Apple has made the decision that the iPod classic with it's hard drive is not worth the trouble anymore and will let Microsoft and other companies take over that part of the market.

They're gambling a bit that the Touch/Nano combo is the future of MP3's and that flash is the way forward. Meanwhile, we'll just have to wait for flash memory to get a lot cheaper before we get really high-capacity portable players, it seems...

Very disappointing that the Nanos seem to be the same capacity as previously (also on par with Zune)...
  • Reply 14 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Agreed.

With the Zune update today, Microsoft seems to have a better product at the same price now if you compare the Zune 120 to the iPod classic. Same price and size, but the Zune has built in radio, wireless and a much better interface...

I guess Apple has made the decision that the iPod classic with it's hard drive is not worth the trouble anymore and will let Microsoft and other companies take over that part of the market.

I disagree. The Zune looks like a turd and doesn't work with iTunes, end of discussion.
  • Reply 15 of 87
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Agreed.

They're gambling a bit that the Touch/Nano combo is the future of MP3's and that flash is the way forward. Meanwhile, we'll just have to wait for flash memory to get a lot cheaper before we get really high-capacity portable players, it seems...

Very disappointing that the Nanos seem to be the same capacity as previously (also on par with Zune)...

No way Apple will let anyone take over any part of their MP3 player market. What's the use of WiFi if you don't have a web browser. Many WiFi Hotspots (universities, hotels, airports ..etc) requires you to use web browser to sign in before you use the service. I think many agree that the point of carrying an iPod is to avoid listening to radio
  • Reply 16 of 87
    Quote:

Hmmmm, I must have missed it, but what prior model of Nano was 16GB? I thought the phattys were 4GB and 8GB?
  • Reply 17 of 87
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Agreed.

The Nanos are 8/16GB instead of 4/8GB
  • Reply 18 of 87
    Quote:

Agreed.

I'd have to disagree that the Zune has a better interface, it's also ugly and honestly what's the point of Wi-Fi if you're not on the web or checking e-mail? You do realize that with 120GB of room you've got enough music to listen non-stop with no repeating for over a month - who needs the radio...

Also, the nano isn't the "future" of the MP3 player. The Nano has been far and away the #1 selling iPod since it debuted. The iPod (Classic) is the past, the Nano is past, present and future and the Touch is present/future.

And as others have said they double the capacities at the same price point while adding features - seemingly the same thing they do every update.
  • Reply 19 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Any of you guys who said NO WAY about shake to shuffle around right now??

I don't recall this as a possible option at all, much less debated about.

Quote:

You are in a tiny minority of users unfortunately for you.

I knew they'd keep it, and I wondered about how they maintain the sizes and ran through possible capacities with the SL 120GB HDD now being an option, but I don't think I had then getting rid of the 80 and 160GB models for just an 120GB model. Those unhappy the loss of the 160GB model should know that you'll be able to buy it fro refurb m Apple's section soon, and for a price cheaper than it is now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No way Apple will let anyone take over any part of their MP3 player market. What's the use of WiFi if you don't have a web browser. Many WiFi Hotspots (universities, hotels, airports ..etc) requires you to use web browser to sign in before you use the service. I think many agree that the point of carrying an iPod is to avoid listening to radio

MS did add the Zune Marketplace to both their HDD and flash-based Zunes so the WiFi has use there. While this is of limited use for iTunes music, the $15/month subscription service does make the inclusion of WiFi pretty nice for Zune enthusiasts as it will start playing and/or DLing the song to your device immediately.
  • Reply 20 of 87
    Is anyone besides me a bit underwhelemed?

They should have called it "let's yawn", not "let's rock"