Window managers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
since OS X is based on unix architecture, I was wondering if I could use different window mangers on it, such as KDE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    brian j.brian j. Posts: 139member
    [quote]Originally posted by Gong Rui:

<strong>since OS X is based on unix architecture, I was wondering if I could use different window mangers on it, such as KDE</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, you can, sort of. OS X's kernel is UNIX based, but OS X uses a totally different windowing system called Aqua. Traditional UNIXes use the X Window System. If you want to use the X Window System, you need to install an X Server. XDarwin is open sourced, and is the most popular X Server for Mac OS X. There are a few different ways to install XDarwin. From what I understand, using a tool called <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/"; target="_blank">fink</a> is the easiest.

After installing an X Server, you'll need to install KDE. I'm not a big fan of KDE, but AFAIK there aren't any precompiled OS X ports of KDE. You'll probably have to grab the source and compile it yourself. KDE is huge, so it probably wouldn't be easy. If you want to try, start with a FreeBSD configuration...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    If my memory serves me correctly, KDE doesn't run on OSX/Darwin. See this: <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php#kde"; target="_blank">fink FAQ</a>. You can't use a WindowManager that replaces the aqua gui, but you can either run one in parallel, or at the same time, with XDarwin. I recommend fink (fink.sourceforge.net) for getting X, as well as a bunch of other packages.

Also, not to split hairs, but KDE is hardly just a 'window manager', its a full-blown 'Desktop Environment'.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    undotwaundotwa Posts: 97member
    Hmm, I thought Mac OS X exits the Aqua enviroment when you type &gt;console in the login panel. Can't you start up XWindows or something similar in there without running Aqua aswell?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by undotwa:

<strong>Hmm, I thought Mac OS X exits the Aqua enviroment when you type &gt;console in the login panel. Can't you start up XWindows or something similar in there without running Aqua aswell?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yup. Look around for xfree86. I've got IceWM, WindowMaker, Enlightenment, and BlackBox on my Mac. :cool: They can be loaded from the &gt;console as you mentioned or in the rootless app called XDarwin.

btw, here's a snapshot of me loading GIMP in WindowMaker through XDarwin:

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 17
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    BTW, Fink automatically comes with GNOME as one of the auto install options. So it is configure out of the chute. Very cool.

I wrote an article on it that you can find <a href="http://www.themacaddress.com/news.php?nid=23726500"; target="_blank">here</a>.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Hi guys,

I've downloaded X free 36 and installed it. I've also downloaded window maker except when I try to install, the computer gives me an error message that I'm missing some kind of file.

Can anyone give me the specific steps to what to do?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Gong Rui:

<strong>when I try to install, the computer gives me an error message that I'm missing some kind of file.</strong><hr></blockquote>How are you installing it? Are you using Fink?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    how would I? do you have any links to step-by-step tutorials on doing this? The error I get is that I'm missing the symbol __xSetLocale or something like that...

thanks in advance
  • Reply 9 of 17
    how do i install fink

i get to the part where you type in "sudo dselect" and all i get is a message that says "sudo: dselect: command not found" help
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Yeah I never got dselect to work either. try "fink list" and then "fink install (application name)" instead.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Hi,

Dselect isn't installed.

You must install dselect.

After installing you can open a new terminal window (dselect is 'active' in that window) or type [code]source .login</pre><hr></blockquote> in the terminal window that is already open.

hth?

grtz,

mk1rvenge
  • Reply 12 of 17
    i did it! open pico .cshrc and make sure it says source /sw/bin/init.csh
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Does anyone know what files I should install using fink in order to use Windowmaker?

Also, I tried to compile windowmaker by performing a ./install but it did no work. Am I missing something?

Thanks
  • Reply 14 of 17
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    ./configure

make

make install

should work on most unixes.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    starfleetx, how did you start up windowmaker

i can't find out how (i cant start any of them)
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Here's some info from the package notes: [quote]Usage Notes: Before you can use Window Maker, you must run 'wmaker.inst' to set up the preferences files for your account. That script can also create an appropriate .xinitrc file to start Window Maker as your default window manager.

To use Window Maker with GNOME, leave .xinitrc alone and instead select Window Maker in the Window Manager panel of the GNOME Control Center.<hr></blockquote>Just read and follow the instructions.

If you want to edit .xinitrc by hand, simply put "exec wmaker" in there, save, and restart XDarwin
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Are any of these window managers run in Darwin?

If the answer is yes, how is the performance of them?