Apple's second-gen iPod touch features contoured metal design

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
At its "Let's Rock" even on Tuesday, Apple introduced the second generation iPod touch featuring a thin contoured metal design, integrated volume control buttons, a built-in speaker for casual listening, and more.

The new iPod touch is smaller and lighter than the original, with a new tapered design that features a contoured metal enclosure with integrated volume control buttons and a 3.5-inch widescreen glass display. With its rounded edges, flush display and curved, more compact design, the new iPod touch was designed to be more comfortable to hold and more portable.

"iPod touch is the funnest iPod we?ve ever created," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Users can listen to millions of songs, watch thousands of Hollywood movies and now, thanks to the App Store, download and play hundreds of great games on their iPod touch."

The new iPod touch includes iPod software v2.1 that enables it to work with the new iTunes 8 Genius feature, which allows customers to automatically create playlists while on the go. Users can preview the playlist Genius creates, refresh the list to choose different songs and save Genius playlists to enjoy again later.

Built-in Nike + iPod support

Each new iPod touch also features built-in Nike + iPod support making it an ideal workout companion. Users simply place the optional Nike + iPod sensor ($19 US) in their Nike + shoe to seamlessly connect with the new iPod touch to track miles run or sync with the latest generation gym equipment.

Battery Life

Users can expect up to 36 hours of music playback or six hours of video playback on a single charge. The 32GB model holds up to 7,000 songs, 25,000 photos or 40 hours of video; the 16GB model holds up to 3,500 songs, 20,000 photos or 20 hours of video, and the 8GB model holds up to 1,750 songs, 10,000 photos and 10 hours of video.

Battery Life

iPod touch users can also connect to the App Store over Wi-Fi to browse, purchase and wirelessly download applications directly onto their players, including over 700 game titles such as "Spore Origins" and "Scrabble" from Electronic Arts, and "Real Football 2009" from Gameloft.

Pricing

The new iPod touch is available immediately for a suggested price of $229 (US) for the 8GB model, $299 (US) for the 16GB and $399 (US) for the 32 GB model. Existing iPod touch users can update to the latest 2.1 software for just $9.95 to add the new Genius feature. iPod touch owners who already have the 2.0 software get the 2.1 software update for free. iTunes 8.0, released today, is also required.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    My "precious"!
  • Reply 2 of 70
    As a shareholder I'm glad they didn't drop the price of the touch too much, as many have suggested they should. Comparing it to the price of the iPhone obviously doesn't make sense. I've been surprised that so many Apple related sites expected the price to come down to $199.
  • Reply 3 of 70
    I want one of these to go with my new Nike Air Vomero +3 running shoes.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    So where are those fabled "products" that the competitors "wouldn't be able to match"? Nothing terribly new so far.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    No camera...that was a simple thing to include within the price range...GPS was probably a different kind of beast to consider...
  • Reply 6 of 70
    On a side note, the 2.1 software made the scrubber suck less! It's wide enough to actually fast-forward by less than half a song at a time.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    +1 to putting volume buttons on the side of the thing.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    Did anyone catch (and this might be a previously existing feature so not worth mentioning today) whether the "shake to shuffle" feature exists on the iPod touch?
  • Reply 9 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    $229 for the Touch which seems to be going for the Nintendo DS' jugular. While the DS is $100 cheaper right now?and I'm assuming a price drop to at least $99 for the holiday season?the Touch does have a much better display (albeit only one), more RAM, faster CPU, better GPU, potentially cheaper games, a physical D-pad coming to market, and 8GB of flash with means that you only have to have an iPod, not an iPod and DS to achieve the same basic function. There are plenty of arguments as to why one would want a DS or PSP, but the Touch is very compelling. This is going to be fun!
  • Reply 10 of 70
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

$229 for the Touch which seems to be going for the Nintendo DS' jugular. While the DS is $100 cheaper right now?and I'm assuming a price drop to at least $99 for the holiday season?the Touch does have a much better display (albeit only one), more RAM, faster CPU, better GPU, potentially cheaper games, a physical D-pad coming to market, and 8GB of flash with means that you only have to have an iPod, not an iPod and DS to achieve the same basic function. There are plenty of arguments as to why one would want a DS or PSP, but the Touch is very compelling. This is going to be fun!

Also, iPod games are much, much cheaper than DS games.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Also, iPod games are much, much cheaper than DS games.

Actually that's a big deal, some are 1/10 the price. And you don't have to move your butt or cue up to buy them.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Does it mean the back of the new iPod Touch is scratch and finger print resistant?
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Also, I assume they do, but does anyone know if video podcasts, work on the iPod touch?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new iPod touch (upgrading from a 3G iPod) and just crossing all my t's and dotting all my i's.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Was considering getting a new Touch if they had included a camera, since I don't need a phone. So, I'll just wait it out with my 4-year-old Classic, which does 90 percent of what I would use Touch for - and I can still use it without looking at it! \
  • Reply 15 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Was considering getting a new Touch if they had included a camera, since I don't need a phone. So, I'll just wait it out with my 4-year-old Classic, which does 90 percent of what I would use Touch for - and I can still use it without looking at it! \

That's just great! I am happy for you!
  • Reply 16 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

So where are those fabled "products" that the competitors "wouldn't be able to match"? Nothing terribly new so far.

I have no doubt that there will now be an October event..... let the speculation begin!

The 'special event' is dead, long live the 'special event'!
  • Reply 17 of 70
    I have a 60 GB iPod Video that's 90% full. If Apple had increased the iPod Touch capacity to 64 MB, I would have bought one this month. I'd love to be able to browse the web and check email from my iPod, and I'd love a larger screen for watching videos, but I can't see cutting my storage capacity to approximately half of what I'm using now.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Does it mean the back of the new iPod Touch is scratch and finger print resistant?

Very funny- try the opposite.

You've never seen an older iPod with the same backing? The case makers must be very happy with this new model.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no doubt that there will now be an October event..... let the speculation begin!

The 'special event' is dead, long live the 'special event'!

By then Jack Skellington will preside.
  • Reply 20 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

Also, I assume they do, but does anyone know if video podcasts, work on the iPod touch?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new iPod touch (upgrading from a 3G iPod) and just crossing all my t's and dotting all my i's.

They sure do!!