Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I'd have to disagree that the Zune has a better interface... who needs the radio...

I think the UI has a nice polish to it and looks more modern than the iPods'. As for an FM receiver, I have no use for it, but there are many that do like this feature for radio, but it seems to be most popular with the TVs at gyms.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think the UI has a nice polish to it and looks more modern than the iPods'. As for an FM receiver, I have no use for it, but there are many that do like this feature for radio, but it seems to be most popular with the TVs at gyms.

Well sure it looks nice but that doesn't mean it's better. Vista has a lot of "nice looking" features to it but we know how the rest of that goes.

I don't actually know anyone who listens to the TV at the gym I go to - they are all listening to the music that they pick for their workout. I know they have that option and tell you what station to tune to but they all have the closed captioning on so it's kinda pointless - at least in my experience.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Any of you guys who said NO WAY about shake to shuffle around right now??

Haha!
  • Reply 24 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Is anyone besides me a bit underwhelemed?

They should have called it "let's yawn", not "let's rock"

I think you must have had your hopes set too high. They doubled the nano (their best selling iPod), intro'd new features, added a bunch of colors, lowered the price on the Touch as well as adding a couple of big anti-Touch points (no volume rocker, no speaker) and gave a nod to the masses that 2.1 was coming to the iPhone on Friday.

Anybody else think they need to make demos for some of these games? I'm sure the soccer would be fun but I'd at least like a demo - same with NFS, need to feel how well it works with the acceleramator (moto racer's implementation is, sadly, quite disappointing).
  • Reply 25 of 87
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    over all good iPod upgrades ...

what happened to the 30% profit margin drop?

too much hype leading to the event, let us see what 2.1 brings for iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

I'd bet those nanos aren't the normal profit margin Apple expects. I mean, bigger screen, glass, accelerametor, and double capacity for the same price. Seeing as how it's the #1 selling iPod I guess it might have SOME impact but, yeah, not quite the margin impact I would expect from a 3-5% overall drop in profit margin.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    also flash memory dropped between last sept and now ... where is 30% drop ...

i believe it is some other product hate to wait for another event and all the rumor leading to it.

MWSF - new Macs

WWDC - new iPhones

Sep event - new iPods

not sure how the October event going to fit or the 30% margin mystery ...
  • Reply 29 of 87
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Exactly! I can't see how this could possibly explain the profit warning. There has to be something bigger coming very soon.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well sure it looks nice but that doesn't mean it's better. Vista has a lot of "nice looking" features to it but we know how the rest of that goes.

I really don't like Vista is nice looking or polished, but the Zune UI I do think nice. Now that is jsut the UI, not the speed or usability of the Zune firmware itself.

Quote:

I don't actually know anyone who listens to the TV at the gym I go to - they are all listening to the music that they pick for their workout. I know they have that option and tell you what station to tune to but they all have the closed captioning on so it's kinda pointless - at least in my experience.

I have to disagree with you here, too. The gyms I go are large and have many people on the, various walking machines who appear to be looking at the TV. I haven't polled people to see how many are tuned into the stations, but I do know from experience that listening to the News is much easier than trying to read CC when working out.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    I forgot that there was an Apple event today. From what I have read, this was an iPod only thing. It was my understanding that the Mac laptop line was also going to get the refresh treatment... but from what I have seen on Google News there was no mention of new notebooks at all :-(

Is that true? If so I guess I'll have to wait a little longer until I replace my old laptop.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Isn't everyone who buys a classic in the minority? I was expecting them to just discontinue it altogether.

Sebastian

as the form factor remained the same i assume there is almost 0 cost (besides the actual manufacturing) that went into this product, and there must just be enough people who want more than 32 Gb that they will keep it around until a 64/128 touch (or even "nano")
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Isn't everyone who buys a classic in the minority? I was expecting them to just discontinue it altogether.

And those who want the immense storage of the Classic or wants a decent sized screen video capable PMP with a clickwheel would be out of luck. If they did that I think a good deal of them would go susceptible to Creative and MS' offerings, especially when it takes very little for them to switch a single platter HDD for a larger model.
  • Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree. The Zune looks like a turd and doesn't work with iTunes, end of discussion.

I don't know, I think the zune looks pretty cool with the (free) laser engraving, for example:

And it doesn't really matter that it doesn't work with iTunes. A big part of the whole wifi thing is that with the subscription service, you can download songs wherever you are, as much as you want, which is especially great for the smaller capacity players...

Interface-wise, the zune is way more intuitive than the iPod classic, and the touch senstitive pad mirrors a lot of the functionality of the iPhone when it comes to flipping through albums. I don't own a Zune, but I do own an iPhone, and have tried a friend's zune and it's pretty close to that, which is a huge step up from endless clickwheel scrolling and shifting through albums in the ridiculous iPod classic menu system.

The folks that think wifi is useless without a web browser don't seem to be thinking of MP3 players as music-only devices anymore. I think that as Apple shifts focus to the iPod touch, which is really getting into PSP territory with all the games and apps and extra shit, it's important that there are some pure, full-functioned and innovative music devices out there. I think if Windows would wise up and include FLAC functionality to the zune, they'd get a lot of people on board who really just want a music player that plays music...

Anyways, I think this looks like the beginning of where the Zune stops being a step behind the iPod and really coming into its own as a product, which only means more choices for us.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really don't like Vista is nice looking or polished, but the Zune UI I do think nice. Now that is jsut the UI, not the speed or usability of the Zune firmware itself.

I have to disagree with you here, too. The gyms I go are large and have many people on the, various walking machines who appear to be looking at the TV. I haven't polled people to see how many are tuned into the stations, but I do know from experience that listening to the News is much easier than trying to read CC when working out.

I stare at the TV too but I'm not listening to it. I think just looking at the TV isn't really a good way to gauge who is/isn't actually listening to the TV.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:

also flash memory dropped between last sept and now ... where is 30% drop ...

i believe it is some other product hate to wait for another event and all the rumor leading to it.

MWSF - new Macs

WWDC - new iPhones

Sep event - new iPods

not sure how the October event going to fit or the 30% margin mystery ...

And also didn't he say that it involved some technology that no competitor could duplicate? This doesn't sound like the deal.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And also didn't he say that it involved some technology that no competitor could duplicate? This doesn't sound like the deal.

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...

In the event they said it was anonymous

I think MS has a similar guru feature coming out for Zune
  • Reply 40 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I don't know, I think the zune looks pretty cool with the (free) laser engraving, for example:

And it doesn't really matter that it doesn't work with iTunes. A big part of the whole wifi thing is that with the subscription service, you can download songs wherever you are, as much as you want, which is especially great for the smaller capacity players...

Interface-wise, the zune is way more intuitive than the iPod classic, and the touch senstitive pad mirrors a lot of the functionality of the iPhone when it comes to flipping through albums. I don't own a Zune, but I do own an iPhone, and have tried a friend's zune and it's pretty close to that, which is a huge step up from endless clickwheel scrolling and shifting through albums in the ridiculous iPod classic menu system.

The folks that think wifi is useless without a web browser don't seem to be thinking of MP3 players as music-only devices anymore. I think that as Apple shifts focus to the iPod touch, which is really getting into PSP territory with all the games and apps and extra shit, it's important that there are some pure, full-functioned and innovative music devices out there. I think if Windows would wise up and include FLAC functionality to the zune, they'd get a lot of people on board who really just want a music player that plays music...

Anyways, I think this looks like the beginning of where the Zune stops being a step behind the iPod and really coming into its own as a product, which only means more choices for us.

They are called playlists - if you have thousands of songs you should really have playlists. Also, the Zune with all the laser engraving I suppose looks cool to you but it looks stupid to me. I'll take the clean shiny back of an iPod any day (let's not get into the scratching argument, I just put a simple clear cover on it so it stays looking nice).

Wi-fi downloading is only useful when you're in a place that allows you access to their WiFi for free. Maybe I don't live in a big enough city but I can't remember the last time I actually stumbled across a place that had honest to God free wi-fi. (I live in the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the country so I'm certainly not out in the middle of no-where).

If you just want a music player to play music you can get a Classic or a Nano - I'm not really sure what you're after here. The Nano isn't full-functioned or innovative?

Also, FLAC wouldn't do a single bit of damage what-so-ever. MS might gain a couple hundred people (you, apparently, included) but the masses just don't give a crap. Hence why they discontinued the 160GB - it just wasn't selling for squat.

As long as the Zune doesn't have iTunes support it will be behind the iPod - that's not some fanboy talk that's just how it works with the masses. Apple hasn't had the best or most feature rich MP3 player on the market for years but yet their market share remains impressively high - that should be proof enough that the masses don't care about features they'll hardly, if ever, use.