Apple's second-gen iPod touch features contoured metal design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Very funny- try the opposite.

You've never seen an older iPod with the same backing? The case makers must be very happy with this new model.

dammit. I forgot my current 3G Nano has the same backing. I hate having cases. It just doesn't feel right. anyway, invisible shield isn't that bad :s
  • Reply 22 of 70
    as someone who's camera just broke one would have been nice

solid, safe updates. I think flash and touch prices have to go down before they can increase their product range much more than it is.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no doubt that there will now be an October event..... let the speculation begin!

The 'special event' is dead, long live the 'special event'!

they longer they wait to update to Montevina, the better our chances that a new case design is coming, I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I have a 60 GB iPod Video that's 90% full. If Apple had increased the iPod Touch capacity to 64 MB, I would have bought one this month. I'd love to be able to browse the web and check email from my iPod, and I'd love a larger screen for watching videos, but I can't see cutting my storage capacity to approximately half of what I'm using now.

64GB would be at least an $900 Touch. The 32GB chips just came on the market.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

dammit. I forgot my current 3G Nano has the same backing. I hate having cases. It just doesn't feel right. anyway, invisible shield isn't that bad :s

I know but we have no choice. I 'll have to get one too- from day one. I'll check that one out. I had a click shield one and there's one by Contour too- not bad.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I have a 60 GB iPod Video that's 90% full. If Apple had increased the iPod Touch capacity to 64 MB, I would have bought one this month. I'd love to be able to browse the web and check email from my iPod, and I'd love a larger screen for watching videos, but I can't see cutting my storage capacity to approximately half of what I'm using now.

There's probably a lot of us in this boat. The price cuts offer some hope for a mid-2009 64GB Touch. (or not? LOL)
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

By then Jack Skellington will preside.

I'd laugh it if wasn't so serious. Show some compassion!!
  • Reply 27 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I'd laugh it if wasn't so serious. Show some compassion!!

What do you mean? It's only that it's near Halloween.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Okay.

Generation 1: 4.2 ounces, 22hrs battery life for audio

Generation 2: 4.0 ounces, 36hrs battery life for audio

Thinner at the edges; the new one is .5mm bigger at the thickest.

Same steel back. Same glass front.

Hi, rapid advances in power usage.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

There's probably a lot of us in this boat. The price cuts offer some hope for a mid-2009 64GB Touch. (or not? LOL)

If you want to look on the bright side ...

Nothing is doing more to lower the prices of flash than Apple pushing all these flash iPods. It's a snowball that's only just begun to roll.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Also the iPhone's Tech Specs should be monitored before and after 2.1 launch for battery life changes.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If you want to look on the bright side ...

Nothing is doing more to lower the prices of flash than Apple pushing all these flash iPods. It's a snowball that's only just begun to roll.

More demand would increase the prices, not lower them.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

More demand would increase the prices, not lower them.

nope.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

No camera...that was a simple thing to include within the price range...GPS was probably a different kind of beast to consider...

The camera would be a different beast GPS not so much a problem. The thing is it looks like Apple made a decision to go as small (thin) as possible, maybe not a bad idea but it eliminates a lot of possibilities. Frankly I think Apple could have done a bit better with the new Touches feature set but I will refrain from calling it an update failure until I get a hold of the new firmware.

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

nope.

Yes, they would. Are you saying established and proven economic theory is wrong?

If you say increased volume will lower prices then you're ignorant of the fact that most flash companies are selling them at a loss or close to it and are producing above demand.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Still more expensive than an iPhone (under contract, obviously)... So that clinches the deal for me - iPhone it is!
  • Reply 36 of 70
    does anyone know the deal with new touches and back to school? i'd love to know!
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Still more expensive than an iPhone (under contract, obviously)... So that clinches the deal for me - iPhone it is!

It's not possible to be cheaper than an iPhone since they are available for free by that logic.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Nothing on the Apple site shows where the speaker(s) is/are. Ars Technica wrote there are descent sounding "speakers". Does anyone know if it's one or two and where it or they are?!?!? How can such a major new feature not even be explained in this article?!?

Called Apple. They had to track down an engineer to finally tell me it's one speaker between the headphone jack and the comm/charge slot.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchleeh View Post

does anyone know the deal with new touches and back to school? i'd love to know!

Not eligible!
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

By then Jack Skellington will preside.

At least call him Steve Skellington, if you must mock his weight.