Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 87
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Is anyone besides me a bit underwhelemed?

They should have called it "let's yawn", not "let's rock"

Talk to MelGross and BagelJoey. They both loved it- can't stop raving about it.
  • Reply 42 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

One word: "Shazam"

It is an App for the iPhone that listen to music on then tells you what the song name and who is the artist. Works 90% of the time.

yeah, except it only works if you have an iPhone or (now) a brand new improved iPod. I have a first gen touch.
  • Reply 43 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the event they said it was anonymous

I think MS has a similar guru feature coming out for Zune

Don't you know already? Apple is in cahoots with the government and they are going to share your entire library with them and it's going to be Enemy of the State all over again!?!?!?!

Personally, I really don't care if Apple knows what I have in my library - they aren't going to publish it to the world and say "hey, look at bigmc6000's music library, what a turd!"

But of course people are always going to be paranoid - especially this day and age...
  • Reply 44 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

yeah, except it only works if you have an iPhone or (now) a brand new improved iPod. I have a first gen touch.

actually, I don't think a new iPod will do it for ya - it has to have the mic rather than just the speaker...
  • Reply 45 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

In the event they said it was anonymous

I think MS has a similar guru feature coming out for Zune

It's anonymous, but that doesn't mean they don't track what songs people are playing. Also, it does require logging into an iTunes account to use, which is suspicious. This would be a really easy tool to help record labels come up with pirating statistics, and unless Apple guarantees that email addresses/ISPs, etc are all securely wiped frequently, it could be a pretty big liability for users... Additionally, what's to stop record companies, etc. from artificially shaping the Genius by setting up a bunch of iTunes accounts and uploading playlists that steer listeners to their selected music? It's bad enough that Jack Johnson and some others have gotten careers via iTunes...
  • Reply 46 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

actually, I don't think a new iPod will do it for ya - it has to have the mic rather than just the speaker...

Pretty sure he said the new earbuds for the new iPod has a mike on them. Either way it's not possible for me. The new iPod touch is just not different enough from the original (that I already have and only bought in the last few months) to justify upgrading. If they had thrown the camera in I would have bit at it.

I guess there is no one "cool" on this list, as no one seems to know the answer to my original question which is who the artists of the iPod ad music are.

I was just assuming (because it would be smart) that Apple had a way to sell you those catchy songs they use in their ads. There must be like a million people who will see those ads today and if they had an easy link to buy the music, they'd probably sell a boatload of copies.

Seems like an easy opportunity that Apple is totally missing.
  • Reply 47 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Also, FLAC wouldn't do a single bit of damage what-so-ever. MS might gain a couple hundred people (you, apparently, included) but the masses just don't give a crap. Hence why they discontinued the 160GB - it just wasn't selling for squat.

Tell that to the 100,000 users at What and Waffles and the countless more at Demonoid and other trackers that almost exclusively use FLAC. Or the over 4 million that have downloaded Rockbox to get FLAC on their ipods at the sacrifice of battery time.
  • Reply 48 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Pretty sure he said the new earbuds for the new iPod has a mike on them. Either way it's not possible for me. The new iPod touch is just not different enough from the original (that I already have and only bought in the last few months) to justify upgrading. If they had thrown the camera in I would have bit at it.

I guess there is no one "cool" on this list, as no one seems to know the answer to my original question which is who the artists of the iPod ad music are.

I was just assuming (because it would be smart) that Apple had a way to sell you those catchy songs they use in their ads. There must be like a million people who will see those ads today and if they had an easy link to buy the music, they'd probably sell a boatload of copies.

Seems like an easy opportunity that Apple is totally missing.

There's usually a spot on the iTunes front page with the commercial and it says what the song is in the title. I know that's not really an answer but at least it's something!
  • Reply 49 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Tell that to the 100,000 users at What and Waffles and the countless more at Demonoid and other trackers that almost exclusively use FLAC. Or the over 4 million that have downloaded Rockbox to get FLAC on their ipods at the sacrifice of battery time.

4 million total downloads is nothing and, again, the masses just don't care. Look at the iTunes store - most of the songs are still DRM'd 128kbps AAC but they are still selling like hotcakes.

Ok, so it's more than 100 but that was sarcasm. And no, going on and on about 4 million total downloads is not going to make me think that the masses give a crap about FLAC. Apple's goal with the iPod, as opposed to the Mac, is the appeal to the masses. That's why they are still so successful without putting in all those options that other players have (ones that sacrifice battery life I might add). Now the Mac, that's a different story. They price those high and only appeal to a small % of people. Apple is the Dell + HP of the mp3 world. They make MP3 players for the masses and throw a few goodies out there for the people who like to think themselves more than just a member of "the masses."
  • Reply 50 of 87
    Do the new iPod nano accelerators also enable them to act as gaming devices, or is it strictly limited to rotating the pictures/movies and the "shake/shuffle" action? As far as the info on Apple goes, it seems like they are not fully enabled to be similar to the touches.
  • Reply 51 of 87
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 52 of 87
    Is that new Nano screen smaller than the last one?

If not I'll get two, one for me and one for the Mrs.
  • Reply 53 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

Is that new Nano screen smaller than the last one?

If not I'll get two, one for me and one for the Mrs.

It shows as having the same pixels and the same diagonal size, but I think it might be wider, which means it's shorter when using landscape mode.
  • Reply 54 of 87
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Any of you guys who said NO WAY about shake to shuffle around right now??

Yes: and it's still a stupid idea.
  • Reply 55 of 87
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Agreed.

With the Zune update today, Microsoft seems to have a better product at the same price now if you compare the Zune 120 to the iPod classic. Same price and size, but the Zune has built in radio, wireless and a much better interface...

Nobody cares about having radio on their iPod. If they did, the iPod would have been marginalised years ago.
  • Reply 56 of 87
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It shows as having the same pixels and the same diagonal size, but I think it might be wider, which means it's shorter when using landscape mode.

320 by 240 pixels, same as the 3g
  • Reply 57 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Yes: and it's still a stupid idea.

I like it, if it requires a decent shake. And it can be turned off.
  • Reply 58 of 87
    The "shake/shuffle" gag is kind of cute....; but didn't anybody but me flash on the "Third Rock from the Sun" where they went into a computer store, and Dick picks up a laptop and says:" Oh, yes...I have something similar to this at home," and shakes it like an Etch-a-Sketch to try to clear the screen?
  • Reply 59 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Nobody cares about having radio on their iPod. If they did, the iPod would have been marginalised years ago.

Agreed - totally. Apple obviously doesn't care. They cater to people who want to grow a library. The lack of support for their own Radio Remote on the touch shows they're not too interested in radio.
  • Reply 60 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Waits for the newspaper story:

"Man arrested for shuffling in pocket"

"Downtown man Dave Johnson speaks of his shock at being arrested for shuffling his music on his new iPod as he was sitting on the bus/tube/tram this morning. 'I just had my iPod in my pocket, but I was tired of listening to Jack Johnson and wanted to mix it up a bit, so I just used the shake-to-shuffle feature. Next thing I know, women are looking at me with a look of disgust on their face, and at the next stop the police got on board and arrested me!' he says."

That is funny! hah

I think I want a 16GB Product (Red) iPod Nano. Very interesting. I have to wait until 6:30 (PST) to use iTunes 8 bleh! Long story...