Notes on iTunes biz, App Store, iPod biz, Jobs, new iPod hands-on

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple today provide updates to some key statistics surrounding its music business and the App Store. Jobs later appeared on CNBC to address concerns about his health (again). And the first hands-on encounters with the company's new iPod line touch on some finer details of the new iPod touch, its Nike+ integration, and the fourth-generation iPod nano.

iTunes

More than 65 million people worldwide have created accounts on the iTunes Store, enabling Apple to become the No. 1 distributor of music, period, ahead of Wal-Mart and Best Buy. The services vast content library now includes over 8.5 million songs, 125,000 podcasts, 30,000 television episodes, and 2,600 movies.

iTunes' stronghold on digital distribution may have been enough to compel NBC Universal to end its bitter feud with Apple over pricing. Tuesday marked the network's returned to iTunes, where all of its programming will be made available in both standard definition for $1.99 per episode and high-definition for $2.99 per episode. Back-catalog episodes from at least NBC are now appearing at 99 cents per episode.

As part of its renewed friendship with Apple and iTunes, NBC will offer one free download from each of its top series over the next two weeks.

The Genius function of iTunes 8.0 released today works by uploading -- anonymously and voluntarily -- a user's iTunes data to the iTunes 'cloud,' where it is then combined with knowledge of millions of other users' iTunes libraries. The more people that use Genius, the smarter it will get, said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

App Store

Meanwhile, users have downloaded more than 100 million applications from Apple's new App Store since launched less than two months ago. More than 3,000 applications -- including approximately 700 games -- are currently available on the store, with over 90 percent priced at less than $10 and more than 600 offered for free.

Apple's iPod business

During July, the last month for which data was available, the iPod registered a 73.4 percent share of the US digital media player market. Sandisk has 8.6 percent of the US digital media player market, while Microsoft has 2.6 percent, and ?Others? have 15.4 percent.

Over 160 million iPods have been sold to date, supporting a thriving ecosystem of iPod accessory makers who've brought to market over 5,000 add-ons. "They announce products even before we want them to," Jobs said, referring to early leaks of third party cases for the fourth-generation iPod nano. "It's so funny."

Jobs' health

Responding to ongoing concerns over his health and, more specifically, the inadvertent publication of his obituary last month by Bloomberg, Jobs kicked off his speech Tuesday with a quote from Mark Twain: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

He later told CNBC during an interview that he's healthy, but could stand to gain 10-15lbs. "I'm doing just fine," he said. "I'm healthy."

Steve Jobs at Apple's "Let's Rock" event on Tuesday.

New iPod touch

Apple has posted a guided tour of the second-generation iPod touch. Gizmodo had some hands-on experience with the new Touch following Apple's presentation and said the most noticeable thing "is just how thin it feels in your hand."

"The tapered edges make it feel like last year's iPod nano, and it isn't as heavy or dense feeling as the 1G iPod touch," Giz said. "As Jobs stated in the keynote, the built-in speaker really is for casual listening, as it's not loud enough to cut through the crowds here. But when held to the ear, it sounds decent enough for what it is."

The volume switch reportedly feels the same as the iPhone's, and while the dimensions of the new iPod touch are the same as the first generation, the new model "almost feels narrower compared to the original." The black Wi-Fi radio antenna cover is now oval shaped and "less conspicuous than before."

Separately, Apple is preparing to release iPod touch 2.1 firmware for first-generation iPod touch owners through iTunes.

Nike+ and first-gen iPod touches

Gizmodo also confirmed with Apple reps onsite in San Francisco Tuesday that Nike+ integration will only work with the second-gen iPod touch because "because of the technology required to connect the device to the receiver in your shoe" was not included in the original model (or iPhone).

New iPod nano

Apple has also posted a short video of the iPod nano's new features. According to Giz, the new nano is the first nano that uses USB charging only, so older FireWire chargers from docks a few years old will not charge the new model.

The blog's hands-on report adds that the new "shake to shuffle" function will not activate unless screen is active and the hold button switched to off. Also, the click wheel orientation will not shift when you use the accelerometer to switch to landscape mode.

Apple vice president Greg Joswiak reportedly noted that the menu button is always in the same position, and that it's not a problem that the controls don't shift because users are typically only scrolling in landscape mode.

Software Updates

Also, noted on our blogs, Apple has just released updates to Front Row and QuickTime for use alongside iTunes 8.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also, noted on our blogs, Apple has just released updates to Front Row and QuickTime for use alongside iTunes 8.

Who's going to take the plunge and be the first to have their system crash? Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Who's going to take the plunge and be the first to have their system crash? Anyone?

you you you
  • Reply 3 of 36
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

He later told CNBC during an interview that he's healthy, but could stand to gain 10-15lbs.

Someone get Steve some steroids then. Can't he call the Gov-e-nay-tah?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

you you you

Ok. I did Quicktime only. I was afraid of being stuck in FrontRow until hell freezes over, so i unchecked that box. So far, VLC still works great!
  • Reply 5 of 36
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I guess the Nike+ receiver in the Touch II is the feature that will cut into profit margins but no one else will have.

Big woop.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

I guess the Nike+ receiver in the Touch II is the feature that will cut into profit margins but no one else will have.

Big woop.

Actually, I don't think any of the ipod announcements are things that would cut into profit margins. After today's event, it seems much more likely that he was talking about computers or some other product other than ipods.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Actually, I don't think any of the ipod announcements are things that would cut into profit margins. After today's event, it seems much more likely that he was talking about computers or some other product other than ipods.

I agree with this. I think it has to do with the notebooks. That's why we mentioned it in our report about the mysterious chipset that will supposedly come in the new models.

Best,

K
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Updated everything.

No problems with iT8, QT or Front Row on; Late 2006 iMac, Early 2008 iMac, Early 2008 Macbook, Early 2006 Mac Mini and a Late 2004 14" iBook.

Had a brief moment of issue with the 2.1 update for my iPod Touch (couldn't find the resource, that was fixed 10 minutes ago).
  • Reply 9 of 36
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    I don't want to appear insensitive but it looks like Steve is wearing the same clothes he wore before his illness. A better fitting shirt and trousers would help him from looking like he is shrinking. Steve please go shopping for a better fit at least until you get some of that lost weight back.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I don't want to appear insensitive but it looks like Steve is wearing the same clothes he wore before his illness. A better fitting shirt and trousers would help him from looking like he is shrinking. Steve please go shopping for a better fit at least until you get some of that lost weight back.

I vote for topless. I bet he has some cool scars.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Big woop.

But on a serious note - maybe there are upcoming accessories that will take advantage of this capability. Hope so!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

I agree with this. I think it has to do with the notebooks. That's why we mentioned it in our report about the mysterious chipset that will supposedly come in the new models.

Best,

K

i am kinda feel that the new macbook may be pused all the way to MWSF 2009. there is not enough time for another event going to happen now till end of the sep (to take 30% margin into consideration)

i think something went wrong with the product transition, it will better to hold off and finish the product (considering how much trouble we are having with iPhone )

there will be speed bumps in between now and January.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I've been shaking my macbook, but all i get are lightsaber sounds.... I shook my apple TV, but all that happened was the HDMI cable popped off. shake shake shake...shake your booty.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I've been shaking my macbook, but all i get are lightsaber sounds.... I shook my apple TV, but all that happened was the HDMI cable popped off. shake shake shake...shake your booty.

I'm afraid of what'll happen if I buy the new nano. I can just picture it.

Standing in a crowded men's bathroom listening to Motorhead, then I shake my wang so I don't drip in my pants, and then the music switches Glass Tiger, and I start looking at everyone else's schlongs. Could be a big problem.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I'm afraid of what'll happen if I buy the new nano. I can just picture it.

Standing in a crowded men's bathroom listening to Motorhead, then I shake my wang so I don't drip in my pants, and then the music switches Glass Tiger, and I start looking at everyone else's schlongs. Could be a big problem.

well, probably if you start shaking them too... but one man's problem is another man's...

yikes..
  • Reply 16 of 36
    I purchased an iPhone only 2 months ago and it won't have the ability to use Nike +? What a stuffed up job by Jobs. Clearly he likes to frustrate. If Microsoft wants to point out the failures of Apple I would be glad to do a rang of spoof commercials talking about the stuff ups on my Mac, my iPhone and my AirPort Extreme device. I would also love to do some spoofs on how things just work like needing to run VMWare Fusion so I can run Windows on my Mac to use Internet Explorer to access government sites. Maybe I am just having a bad hair day. But seriously. A two month old device that will not be compatible with Nike +. Get real. This is no way to distinguish the products. Its just down right rude.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Has anyone been able to download the free NBC content? It's in my cart, but listed as unavailable.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

i am kinda feel that the new macbook may be pused all the way to MWSF 2009. there is not enough time for another event going to happen now till end of the sep (to take 30% margin into consideration)

Don't say that. In 2005 we had an iPod event at September 7, and a Mac event at October 12. It's not in September for sure, but there is time for another event before MWSF09.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

I purchased an iPhone only 2 months ago and it won't have the ability to use Nike +?

Does not the current version of Nike + work with iPhone and iPod touch?

/Adrian
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

I purchased an iPhone only 2 months ago and it won't have the ability to use Nike +? What a stuffed up job by Jobs. Clearly he likes to frustrate. If Microsoft wants to point out the failures of Apple I would be glad to do a rang of spoof commercials talking about the stuff ups on my Mac, my iPhone and my AirPort Extreme device. I would also love to do some spoofs on how things just work like needing to run VMWare Fusion so I can run Windows on my Mac to use Internet Explorer to access government sites. Maybe I am just having a bad hair day. But seriously. A two month old device that will not be compatible with Nike +. Get real. This is no way to distinguish the products. Its just down right rude.

You must be new here. Steve giveth and taketh away- always. But in this case it's technology that's ever changing- why the whine? The iPhone can't do everything- I suppose you would also like a print wheel attachment as well?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

well, probably if you start shaking them too... but one man's problem is another man's...

yikes..

I think the "shake my iPod" is a little too much like the "cruise my Zune"- not quite sure if I like it.