Apple's second-gen iPod touch features contoured metal design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

It's not possible to be cheaper than an iPhone since they are available for free by that logic.

Sorry I was referring specifically to the O2 deals in the UK. 16GB = £149. I know that alo means contract but I already have an O2 contract of the same monthly amount. I was considering an iPod Touch but there doesn't really see much point (unless I could afford a 32GB one which I can't).

• Reply 42 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

It's not possible to be cheaper than an iPhone since they are available for free by that logic.

You mean the logic that he is already paying x dollars a month for a cellphone?
  • Reply 43 of 70
    DEEPLY disappointed by the lack of storage space. Iv been waiting for a 64gb iPod Touch for a year n still nothing. Regardless of the price i would of bought one right away.

But, i still think it will get announced, im pretty sure the Touch was only 8 and 16gb at first then the 32 was released a few weeks later.

The redesign is really nice though.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bizk1d1 View Post

DEEPLY disappointed by the lack of storage space. Iv been waiting for a 64gb iPod Touch for a year n still nothing. Regardless of the price i would of bought one right away.

But, i still think it will get announced, im pretty sure the Touch was only 8 and 16gb at first then the 32 was released a few weeks later.

The Touch was introduced this time last year with 8 and 16GB models. The 32GB model was released in February of this year. The Touch has two slots for the flash chips and these were just released to the market. Even 64GB in 6 months is highly unlikely. It's foolish to expect doubling of capacity every year, much less every 6 months.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Still more expensive than an iPhone (under contract, obviously)... So that clinches the deal for me - iPhone it is!

But less aggravating- No dropped calls!
  • Reply 46 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Touch was introduced this time last year with 8 and 16GB models. The 32GB model was released in February of this year. The Touch has two slots for the flash chips and these were just released to the market. Even 64GB in 6 months is highly unlikely. It's foolish to expect doubling of capacity every year, much less every 6 months.

Is it foolish?

This year I bought a 1TB HDD with eSATA for less money than last year's 500 GB USB, and the year before's 320GB Hard Drive cost twice as much. 7 Years ago my laptop came with 5GB, 2 years ago with 120 GB, which is close to a doublng each year. Is it hard work that's giving us double the storage space each year, or mediocrity?
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Is it foolish?

This year I bought a 1TB HDD with eSATA for less money than last year's 500 GB USB, and the year before's 320GB Hard Drive cost twice as much. 7 Years ago my laptop came with 5GB, 2 years ago with 120 GB, which is close to a doublng each year. Is it hard work that's giving us double the storage space each year, or mediocrity?

And you're not looking at the difference between the SSD and the HHD market. The Flash market is a relatively new technology, that's already moving faster than HHD ever did.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Quote:

Is it foolish?

Your timeline is way off.
    • 2005 brought use 500GB from Hitachi

• 2006 brought 750GB from Seagate (50% more)

• 2007 brought us 1TB from Hitachi (33% more)

• 2008 may bring us 1.5TB from Seagate (50% more)
    Which one of those is 200% of the previous 6 months or year?
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:

Your timelines is way off. 2005 brought use 500GB from Hitachi, 2006 brought 750GB (50% more) from Seagate, 2007 brought us 1TB (33% more) from Hitachi, and 2008 may bring us 1.5TB (50% more) from Seagate. Which one of those is doubling every 6 money or a year?

Did you read mine?

I used MY examples to prove my point. You used YOUR examples to prove your point. MY examples are better than yours.

Although your thousands of posts give you a "reality distortion field".

Really, check Macworld's review of a 300 GB drive from 2005 (biggest available in that model at the time), and then check out Lacie's website for the same model in 2TB available since early this year. That's more than double each year, baby!

Now it's your turn.

And it should be "Your timelines ARE off". USA USA USA
  • Reply 50 of 70
    I'm sad they didn't add Bluetooth, that would of made a killer iPod....8GB or 16GB is good enough...
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Still more expensive than an iPhone (under contract, obviously)... So that clinches the deal for me - iPhone it is!

I'm sure Apple is happy with that decision, they get paid more when people buy an iPhone. I don't know why people expected the touch price to come down so much. (not implying you did, jowie) Reports have Apple getting paid over $500 for an iPhone. Comparing the $199 price for an iPhone to the price of a touch lacks any kind of logic.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

$229 for the Touch which seems to be going for the Nintendo DS' jugular. While the DS is $100 cheaper right now?and I'm assuming a price drop to at least $99 for the holiday season?the Touch does have a much better display (albeit only one), more RAM, faster CPU, better GPU, potentially cheaper games, a physical D-pad coming to market, and 8GB of flash with means that you only have to have an iPod, not an iPod and DS to achieve the same basic function. There are plenty of arguments as to why one would want a DS or PSP, but the Touch is very compelling.

AFAIK, add-on input peripherals with entirely different type of control, like the physical D-pad you mention, have practically never made sense on a portable device. They suffer from a serious chicken-egg problem, while weighing down the device whose entire point is portability. If you can come up with exceptions, I'd be glad to hear them.

The native input method on the Touch is well suited only to a limited subset of games. It's particularly ill suited to traditional action and arcade games. It has no game library to speak of.

Don't get me wrong - the Touch could handle RPG, turn-based tactics, strategy and many other things like a champ - but I'm not convinced the Touch will get equivalents of the very top titles on the DS and the PSP, even in the genres where its hardware would be technically superior.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:

Did you read mine?

I used MY examples to prove my point. You used YOUR examples to prove your point. MY examples are better than yours.

Really, check Macworld's review of a 300 GB drive from 2005 (biggest available in that model at the time), and then check out Lacie's website for the same model in 2TB available since early this year. That's more than double each year, baby!

Now it's your turn.

And it should be "Your timelines ARE off". USA USA USA

Talk about being an asshat! I see now that you weren't just mistaken on the timeline, but that your ability to deduce the most basic rationale are somehow askew.

MacWorld may have reviewed a 300GB drive, they review a lot of drives, not just the largest available. However, even if they review a 300GB HDD as the largest available in 2005 you failed to comprehend that 2005 was 365 days long and that Hitachi, as I clearly mentioned above, released a 500GB drive in the Autumn of 2005.
    As for LaCie having 2TBs drives, you are wrong yet again. They have 2TB options in their "big disk" setups which pairs up to two 1TB drives together in a single enclosure. You can verify this by: 1) looking up the largest available 3.5" HDD capacity on Google, 2) taking notice of the RAID 0 listing on the page, and 3) removing head from ass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

I'm sad they didn't add Bluetooth, that would of made a killer iPod....8GB or 16GB is good enough...

It does have BT to connect with the Nike+module, but I'm guessing that they aren't going to let you use it for anything else.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

AFAIK, add-on input peripherals with entirely different type of control, like the physical D-pad you mention, have practically never made sense on a portable device. They suffer from a serious chicken-egg problem, while weighing down the device whose entire point is portability. If you can come up with exceptions, I'd be glad to hear them.

The native input method on the Touch is well suited only to a limited subset of games. It's particularly ill suited to traditional action and arcade games. It has no game library to speak of.

Don't get me wrong - the Touch could handle RPG, turn-based tactics, strategy and many other things like a champ - but I'm not convinced the Touch will get equivalents of the very top titles on the DS and the PSP, even in the genres where its hardware would be technically superior.

The games are just a bunch of fluff to give people that bought the touch something to play with. Most people like to play with their gadgets/toys, and there's only so many times you can flip back and forth in cover flow before it gets old. I mean, are people really that excited about a new version of Sudoku or Bubble Bobble on the iPod? Does the iPod touch come with a 20 year rebate on your life to make you care about some crappy games? Does it make anybody feel good that their music player is potentially being geared to steal a bit of marketshare from Nintendo?
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Sooo… what's the music in the game commercial? TrackID has nothing.

/Adrian
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

You might be right, gaming is not my forte. I usually by the latest console and handheld but get bored a week later with it. Kept the Wii a whole 3 weeks! But there is evidence to support that Apple is taking it seriously so they might be hacking their own chicken by offering a gaming framework that allows for the use of a 3rd-party D-Pad or the on-screen controls. They do seem to be pushing the games at both today's presentation and the SDK presentation. On top of that, Belkin is rumoured to be working with Apple on their JoyPod.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    although the volume buttons are nice, a true next generation for me would have had 64gb and a camera.. you can always hope, can you?

but what I really want to know is this: the playlists were mentioned, but does that mean we can finally make more than ONE on-the-go playlist and finally rename them?

this is a function that I always though was the biggest disappointment with the touch and the iphone, that one silly playlist that can't be renamed. the classic had options for making more, and these things have a freakin' typing ability!!

and would this function come only with the new ipods, or also with the new 2.1 firmware?

so to somebody who upgrades: please let the rest of us know..
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:

You mean the logic that he is already paying x dollars a month for a cellphone?

By the logic that an obligation to pay is a cost, regardless of when the payment is made. I think the first generation iPhones are a special case since Apple seems to have written off the costs associated with it's kickback scheme.

If you're saying that the phone is included without additional charge under an existing plan, that's not right either, since a cheaper plan of the same call value would be available (in a competitive market). There is no free lunch.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:

Talk about being an asshat!

3) removing head from ass.

Geez sol, such negativity, you're starting to sound like me. Get your own shtick!
  • Reply 60 of 70
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

Did you read mine?

Don't sweat it, you're correct.

The price/capacity relationship for memory and storage has been giving consumers an effective doubling of their value on a pretty much annual basis. The WD 1T ext drive is now the same price I paid for the 500GB version of the same model 8 months ago. At the time, that 500GB drive cost less than what I'd paid for a 250GB drive a year before that, and that drive was half the price of what I'd paid for an 80GB drive 18 months before that.

Same deal applies to RAM and flash memory. SD cards are less than half the price they were a year ago. RAM's even cheaper. I bought 4GB for my iMac for $99 a couple months ago. Two years ago, I couldn't even find 1GB for that price.