NBC returns to iTunes for 65 million viewers and HD action

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Weren't all the SD shows in 4:3 ratio? Are the HD shows widescreen?

Since only the Classic isn't in a fancy widescreen I hope that all shows, HD and SD, will be in a widescreen format, especially since most are aried that way now.

Well, actually, the screen resolution of the Nano is 320x240 which is equal to an aspect ratio of 4:3. The Touch's aspect ratio is 3:2 which is wider but still some way off 16:9. That was my complaint... or grumble, when I saw the orange nano yesterday. Why not make it widescreen?

In the UK when TV turned digital, most broadcasts became 16:9. Here in North America broadcasts stayed at 4:3. Very annoying. But now that everything is switching to hd and finally to 16:9 it would be nice if all the iPods did the same.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Glad to see NBC back on board!

Yeah, just a squabble, really. Now we are friends and better for it. Lets play nice.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hookedonitunes View Post

Apple clearly states that the "HD TV Shows are playable on Macs, PCs, and Apple TVs." What it doesn't say is that it is playable on an iPod. So this leaves me wondering, if I buy an HD TV show to view on my Mac will I be able to play that same file on my iPod, or will I have to spend another $1.99 to have a SD version for my iPod?

Apple's Tech Specs for all iPods that play video are the same. They all say 640x480, however, they can all play the "DVD quality" movies you buy and rent which are 720 on the horizontal plane, so this number is artificial to the weakest iPod link.

I'm guessing they won't play HD video at all, and prevent any syncing which iTunes has been monitoring for years now. I'm sure the Touch could technically handle the file, but I'm doubtful that it wouldn't be choppy and drain the battery fast due to all the overhead. I'm certain the others couldn't handle it at all. Because you are buying it, they may have a "Create SD version" option. I'd be surprised if they didn't.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    I don't really buy that Apple caved, when they left the first time around all the stories were saying that NBC wanted bundling and HIGHER prices, not lower. And which they still don't have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Hold on. They're bringing BACK Knight Rider? Now this is news. Good or bad; though that's another question.

It's not really news since they ran the first episode as a TV movie last spring.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I don't really buy that Apple caved, when they left the first time around all the stories were saying that NBC wanted bundling and HIGHER prices, not lower. And which they still don't have.

It's not really news since they ran the first episode as a TV movie last spring.

Well, Valleywag is now even reporting that Apple caved:

http://valleywag.com/5047491/nbc-con...back-on-itunes
  • Reply 26 of 57
    I added a couple free nbc shows to my cart but they're listed as unavailable, I can't download them.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

We'll know shortly if The Office and Heroes TV Shows are being sold for more than standard price.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:

We'll know shortly if The Office and Heroes TV Shows are being sold for more than standard price.

I'll be surprised if the HD versions for "The Office" & "Heroes" are higher than $2.99 like the other shows. I'm betting the concession was giving NBC/Universal more pricing control.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:

I'll be surprised if the HD versions for "The Office" & "Heroes" are higher than $2.99 like the other shows. I'm betting the concession was giving NBC/Universal more pricing control.

Did you mean to say, "are not higher"? If NBC has pricing control, then the chance of them being higher are more likely, since that is what NBC has wanted.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

Did you mean to say, "are not higher"? If NBC has pricing control, then the chance of them being higher are more likely, since that is what NBC has wanted.

No, I meant what I said. I don't think we're going to see the NBC price increases immediately, but then again (like many times before) I've been wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Quote:

For some shows I only see HD, at $2.99. For other shows I see $1.99, like Conviction which I think was cancelled.

30 Rock and The Office only seem to be available in HD. So I guess it'll cost me more than I want to pay to backfill my missing episodes...

Edit: Just found the standard shows, had to go to the show's page and click Also Available in Standard. $1.99 each.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    I assume this applies to the U.S. only. Too bad, because the selection of TV shows for iTunes Canada is sorely lacking.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

For some shows I only see HD, at $2.99. For other shows I see $1.99, like Conviction which I think was cancelled.

30 Rock and The Office only seem to be available in HD. So I guess it'll cost me more than I want to pay to backfill my missing episodes...

Edit: Just found the standard shows, had to go to the show's page and click Also Available in Standard. $1.99 each.

I think making some "HD only" for a set period might be the deal Apple and NBC made which keeps the prices in line but allows NBC to get 50% more per show for new and popular items.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I assume this applies to the U.S. only. Too bad, because the selection of TV shows for iTunes Canada is sorely lacking.

Emphasis on the word SORELY!!!
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:

Nope, Jobs won again. Zucker didn't win anything unless they gained incrementally more from each sale. Certainly doesn't seem like thier Hulu.com effort was worth it.

Zucker should start looking for another job now.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Wow, only 99 cents to have a chunk of my brain removed by the ateam.

I'm not sure if this means old episodes of WCW Nitro will cost 49 cents or 2 dollars.

Anyways, i'm holding out for Roseanne and CHIPS reruns to appear. I live on a planet where we all live to be 200000 years old and therefore have plenty of time to pour old, liquid feces into our eyes and ears.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

To be more correct, they're reporting that ZUCKER said that apple caved. You don't think NBC is going to claim victory, even when they didn't get the things they wanted when they left?
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

I think making some "HD only" for a set period might be the deal Apple and NBC made which keeps the prices in line but allows NBC to get 50% more per show for new and popular items.

That's what I thought, but then I looked a little harder and found there were both Standard and HD versions, normal pricing. I wouldn't say the Standard ones are hidden, but they definitely make the HD ones easier to find.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nope, Jobs won again. Zucker didn't win anything unless they gained incrementally more from each sale. Certainly doesn't seem like thier Hulu.com effort was worth it.

Zucker should start looking for another job now.

From a viewer's perspective, I would say their Hulu effort was worth it. There are lots of shows and movies there, and it's free. Definitely worth it.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

From a viewer's perspective, I would say their Hulu effort was worth it. There are lots of shows and movies there, and it's free. Definitely worth it.

Hulu is nice for what it is. Defintely better than I gave them credit for.