Notes on iTunes biz, App Store, iPod biz, Jobs, new iPod hands-on

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

i am kinda feel that the new macbook may be pused all the way to MWSF 2009. there is not enough time for another event going to happen now till end of the sep (to take 30% margin into consideration)

i think something went wrong with the product transition, it will better to hold off and finish the product (considering how much trouble we are having with iPhone )

there will be speed bumps in between now and January.

The last two major notebook updates were 8 months apart. Next month will be 8 months from the last update.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Who's going to take the plunge and be the first to have their system crash? Anyone?

Please, why do I never experience any of these crashes people complain about? Ran all the updates and everything went smoothly.

Genius is interesting. I'll have to get into a store to see the new nanos. I miss the fatty...incredibly cuter.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    steste Posts: 119member
    Updated to iTunes 8 this evening. No problems so far; loving the new grid view.

One question: what happened to the Mini Store? Does Genius replace it? I used to enjoy springboarding off the reviews into new music, but I don't fancy Apple having access to my entire library information. What gives?
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Updated to iTunes 8 this evening. No problems so far; loving the new grid view.

One question: what happened to the Mini Store? Does Genius replace it? I used to enjoy springboarding off the reviews into new music, but I don't fancy Apple having access to my entire library information. What gives?

yeah, the right hand Genius bar takes the place of the MiniStore, the sending of our library info seems to make Genius a little more intuitive that MiniStore. If the sending library info with Apple bothers you, I'd suggest turning off Genius.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Under the current economic conditions, Apple's margins should stay the same if not expand. The dollar has shown some strength and that should lower the cost of assembly and some components. In addition the global slowdown will lower the price of commodity items like batteries, memory, camera, and even the Samsung proprietary CPU. Even with the price drop.

I wish Apple would add more functionality to the iPhone touch. The speaker and mic do help... especially with a VoIP service. For a fee the user could get a phone number and be able to make phone calls anywhere in the US. Best would be when traveling overseas and be able to receive and make phone calls especially back to the US.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The last two major notebook updates were 8 months apart. Next month will be 8 months from the last update.

ok, but next month will be next quarter. let us see what next couple of weeks brings ...
  • Reply 27 of 36
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I don't want to appear insensitive but it looks like Steve is wearing the same clothes he wore before his illness. A better fitting shirt and trousers would help him from looking like he is shrinking.

I think Steve buys black turtlenecks by the gross, so it'll be a while before he buys new shirts. Maybe he should take a cue from the Apple Geniuses and change colors. You know what they say about black having a slimming effect. Give the man some soy protein drinks.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    How hard would be for Apple to add GPS receiver capability to the iPod Touch? I know it would need a map database since it may not be connected to internet most of the time. It would increase the value of the device.. as far as I am concerned.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Genius function of iTunes 8.0 released today works by uploading -- anonymously and voluntarily -- a user's iTunes data to the iTunes 'cloud,' where it is then combined with knowledge of millions of other users' iTunes libraries. The more people that use Genius, the smarter it will get, said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

Anyone want to guess when MS will be announcing Guru for Windows Media Player?
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

How hard would be for Apple to add GPS receiver capability to the iPod Touch? I know it would need a map database since it may not be connected to internet most of the time. It would increase the value of the device.. as far as I am concerned.

The iPhone uses assisted GPS: instead of waiting for the satellites to spoonfeed you your ephemeris data at 50 bps, it pulls the info in off the internet at 3G (or at least EDGE) speeds. An iPod Touch with GPS would take forever to get a reading. (Unless, of course, you're in a WiFi hotspot and online at the time.)
  • Reply 31 of 36
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

I'm afraid of what'll happen if I buy the new nano. I can just picture it.

Standing in a crowded men's bathroom listening to Motorhead, then I shake my wang so I don't drip in my pants, and then the music switches Glass Tiger, and I start looking at everyone else's schlongs. Could be a big problem.

Note: I had no idea appleinsider had a blog!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

The iPhone uses assisted GPS: instead of waiting for the satellites to spoonfeed you your ephemeris data at 50 bps, it pulls the info in off the internet at 3G (or at least EDGE) speeds. An iPod Touch with GPS would take forever to get a reading. (Unless, of course, you're in a WiFi hotspot and online at the time.)

Some more detail:

GPS (and Maps on iPhone/iPod touch) needs three kinds of data

(a) a time signal from the satellites

(b) information where the satellites are exactly in orbit at that moment

(c) the actual maps

(c) could be stored on the device (that is what traditional GPS devices do, (b) is received via the internet on the iPhone, receiving it from the satellites can take up to a few minutes, that is also how traditional GPS devices do it, (a) has to come from the satellites.

The GPS antenna and receiver in the iPhone are probably less sensitive than those of traditional GPS devices (they are smaller for sure) which probably would make (b) take longer than on those devices.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Some more detail:

GPS (and Maps on iPhone/iPod touch) needs three kinds of data

(a) a time signal from the satellites

(b) information where the satellites are exactly in orbit at that moment

(c) the actual maps

(c) could be stored on the device (that is what traditional GPS devices do, (b) is received via the internet on the iPhone, receiving it from the satellites can take up to a few minutes, that is also how traditional GPS devices do it, (a) has to come from the satellites.

The GPS antenna and receiver in the iPhone are probably less sensitive than those of traditional GPS devices (they are smaller for sure) which probably would make (b) take longer than on those devices.

I think the iPhone Touch product would need wide are data reception to be a compelling purchase. Even if somebody would offer a small add on that offers EVDO data reception from Verizon or Sprint.

I just think that wireless voice plans are too expensive. What I need is access to data that allows me to run VoIP as well. May be WiMax one day.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I think the iPhone Touch product would need wide are data reception to be a compelling purchase. Even if somebody would offer a small add on that offers EVDO data reception from Verizon or Sprint.

I just think that wireless voice plans are too expensive. What I need is access to data that allows me to run VoIP as well. May be WiMax one day.

That's why they have the iPhone (wireless data, a phone, can even become VOIP device with future apps such as iCall). The iPod Touch is an iPod! They have been marketing it as an iPod and since yesterday as a gaming device. Today, everyone carries a cell phone so you are paying for the Voice plan anyway. What Apple trying to say is if you don't want to carry a cell phone, a PDA, and an iPod then you can get the iPhone. However, if you like your phone a lot then an iPod Touch is the best choice for you. Most of my friends who have iPod Touch got them because they are already on cell phone contract or don't want to deal with monthly data plans and the 2 years contract with AT&T.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I saw the QT & iTunes update, but wasn't offered a Front Row update? Was the FR update released much later?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    The Shake to Shuffle mode is inactive when the screen is off.