Apple's second-gen iPod touch features contoured metal design

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Was considering getting a new Touch if they had included a camera, since I don't need a phone. So, I'll just wait it out with my 4-year-old Classic, which does 90 percent of what I would use Touch for - and I can still use it without looking at it! \

Definitely one of the UI design Pluses for the other iPods (Shuffle, Nano, Classic) is that you can know/feel where the control 'buttons' are and can change/adjust it without needing to look at it.

I like being able to skip tracks or lower volume to hear what's happening around me - all while the device is in my pocket or clipped to running shirt/sweats.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

Definitely one of the UI design Pluses for the other iPods (Shuffle, Nano, Classic) is that you can know/feel where the control 'buttons' are and can change/adjust it without needing to look at it.

I like being able to skip tracks or lower volume to hear what's happening around me - all while the device is in my pocket or clipped to running shirt/sweats.

you should check out the application "pocket touch".

it's THE reason why I jailbreak my ipod..

double click anywhere on the screen for pause or play.

swipe right for next track, swipe left for previous track.

swipe up for volume increase, down for volume decrease.

a lot of settings, including shake to change tracks, etc..
  • Reply 63 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Don't sweat it, you're correct.

The price/capacity relationship for memory and storage has been giving consumers an effective doubling of their value on a pretty much annual basis. The WD 1T ext drive is now the same price I paid for the 500GB version of the same model 8 months ago. At the time, that 500GB drive cost less than what I'd paid for a 250GB drive a year before that, and that drive was half the price of what I'd paid for an 80GB drive 18 months before that.

Same deal applies to RAM and flash memory. SD cards are less than half the price they were a year ago. RAM's even cheaper. I bought 4GB for my iMac for $99 a couple months ago. Two years ago, I couldn't even find 1GB for that price.

What poor eduction kids get these days. Superbass was responding to a post as to why Apple isn't able to double the capacity of flash every 6 months. Your post is about a lowered price and increased value from buying tech that that is not new to the market, that has time to mature and have it's price lowered by increased competition and adoption. I've already timelined all the HDD advancements since 2005, why don't you look up how much 32GB MicorSD-sized chips would cost right now for the Touch, then figure out all other expenses that go into it and then tell me how Apple could have offered a 64GB Touch at less money than they charge now.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple has posted it's first 2G iPod Touch commercial. The entire ad is about App Store games.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What poor eduction kids get these days. Superbass was responding to a post as to why Apple isn't able to double the capacity of flash every 6 months. Your post is about a lowered price and increased value from buying tech that that is not new to the market, that has time to mature and have it's price lowered by increased competition and adoption. I've already timelined all the HDD advancements since 2005, why don't you look up how much 32GB MicorSD-sized chips would cost right now for the Touch, then figure out all other expenses that go into it and then tell me how Apple could have offered a 64GB Touch at less money than they charge now.

You right, it looks like flash size growth has slowed down the past half year, I hope it can pick up again with some new break technologies. I want 128gb cf cards.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    While the original iPod Touch looked cheaper and less slick than its iPhone Edge conterpart, the new sleek, metal Touch looks way better than the iPhone 3G with its tacky, plasticky look. Perhaps iPhone couldn't be metal but the glossy plastic look is tired.

Way to go -iPod Touch and Apple!
  • Reply 67 of 70
    Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed the ipod nano did not have the nike+ features built in like the ipod touch. I would be more inclined to run with the nano instead of the touch. I think I will end up getting the nano and using some REAL excercise tracking equipment. Apple keeps treating exercise tracking as some sort of hobby like their appletv.

Apple could utterly crush polar and suunto if they really wanted too.

As well, I'm also disappointed they did not include gps within the ipod touch. I wouldn't mind the touch being slightly thicker if it had built in gps with full maps. But instead they included nike+ which is nothing more than a fancy app. Big deal they included the transmitter/receiver within the touch....I mean just for nike+?

I hope some hacker can find a better use for that receiver.

So instead of the ipod touch I will probably get a new nano instead.

Also, one caveat I have with the nano......the shake to shuffle feature only works when the screen is on. If the screen is off like when your running or something and you try to shake it the shuffle won't work. At least that is what I'm hearing.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While the original iPod Touch looked cheaper and less slick than its iPhone Edge conterpart, the new sleek, metal Touch looks way better than the iPhone 3G with its tacky, plasticky look. Perhaps iPhone couldn't be metal but the glossy plastic look is tired.

Way to go -iPod Touch and Apple!

*sigh*

The reason the iphone 3G has a "tacky" plastic back so for the 3G signals (and possibly GPS) to have less interference. I'm disappointed the new ipod touch didn't have a plastic back because that instantly meant that it wouldn't have 3G or GPS.

While I know 3G would have been a loooooooongshot I wanted GPS. I wanted a little unit that was not a cellphone but had built in GPS for map navigation.

Looks like that is not happening.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Does the reflection of the Nano and screen in the back of the other look right to you?
  • Reply 70 of 70
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Why would anyone care or want 3G in an ipod Touch?

First of all Wifi is ALOT faster! And second of all...3G is for phones. Doesn't make sense.

The two things I WOULD have liked to see in this iPOD Touch were a CAMERA and possibly a 64gig flash drive. But you can't have everything I suppose.

But the best surprise was to find out that the new TOUCH uses the same 4 pin audio plug as the iphone enabling you to record voice message.

Which ALSO means that you could theoretically now use the TOUCH as a VOiP phone device and make calls over wifi!!!! HOW FRIGGIN COOL is that? No 2year insane ATT contract. I currently use Yahoo Voice on my laptop, and I love it. Especially when I travel. Having it on my TOUCH would be even cooler.