NBC returns to iTunes for 65 million viewers and HD action

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

From a viewer's perspective, I would say their Hulu effort was worth it. There are lots of shows and movies there, and it's free. Definitely worth it.

Agreed. But without content people can play on iPods it didn't make sense to pull their content from iTunes. I've used hulu, but I prefer downloads most of the time.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hookedonitunes View Post

Apple clearly states that the "HD TV Shows are playable on Macs, PCs, and Apple TVs." What it doesn't say is that it is playable on an iPod. So this leaves me wondering, if I buy an HD TV show to view on my Mac will I be able to play that same file on my iPod, or will I have to spend another $1.99 to have a SD version for my iPod?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's Tech Specs for all iPods that play video are the same. They all say 640x480, however, they can all play the "DVD quality" movies you buy and rent which are 720 on the horizontal plane, so this number is artificial to the weakest iPod link.

I'm guessing they won't play HD video at all, and prevent any syncing which iTunes has been monitoring for years now. I'm sure the Touch could technically handle the file, but I'm doubtful that it wouldn't be choppy and drain the battery fast due to all the overhead. I'm certain the others couldn't handle it at all. Because you are buying it, they may have a "Create SD version" option. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Okay, found the answer at this link in the iTunes store. Turns out that when someone buys the HD version of a TV Show, iTunes actually downloads both an HD Version and the SD Version. When you try to play the show in iTunes, it plays the HD Version. When you connect any iPod that supports video, iTunes will transfer the SD version to it. Good call, Apple!
  • Reply 43 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Okay, found the answer at this link in the iTunes store. Turns out that when someone buys the HD version of a TV Show, iTunes actually downloads both an HD Version and the SD Version. When you try to play the show in iTunes, it plays the HD Version. When you connect any iPod that supports video, iTunes will transfer the SD version to it. Good call, Apple!

That's awesome! That's like the extinct HD DVD dual format- both versions on one disc/file. Eat that Blu-ray!

Great find, hookedonitunes.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nope, Jobs won again. Zucker didn't win anything unless they gained incrementally more from each sale. Certainly doesn't seem like thier Hulu.com effort was worth it.

Hulu is actually a good site, but they shouldn't have axed their relationship with iTunes.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's awesome! That's like the extinct HD DVD dual format- both versions on one disc/file. Eat that Blu-ray!

They only did that with some movies, and they generally charged more for it vs. non dual-discs. It was $5 more list price. For some reason, people complained that it didn't allow then to have disc art too.

I thought it was a nice idea, unfortunate that they had to charge more for it.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Well, actually, the screen resolution of the Nano is 320x240 which is equal to an aspect ratio of 4:3. The Touch's aspect ratio is 3:2 which is wider but still some way off 16:9. That was my complaint... or grumble, when I saw the orange nano yesterday. Why not make it widescreen?

In the UK when TV turned digital, most broadcasts became 16:9. Here in North America broadcasts stayed at 4:3. Very annoying. But now that everything is switching to hd and finally to 16:9 it would be nice if all the iPods did the same.

The analog/SD versions of a broadcast over the air is usually in 4:3, HD is 16:9. There aren't a whole lot of widescreen analog SDTVs in the US.

I had hoped that the portrait nano would be in at least 3:2 to take advantage of the length of the nano, but it was not to be, though it's just an academic or entertainment exercise as I don't expect to ever buy a standard iPod again. It was pretty hard to tell from the purported spy pictures just what the ratio was.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    NBC really f'ed up when they pulled out if iTunes.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I added a couple free nbc shows to my cart but they're listed as unavailable, I can't download them.

I saw that too, but don't be fooled. If you click Buy Now at the bottom, and agree to the Terms (again, everytime with a new update), and then click Buy Now again, even though it is dimmed out, it will download. I am downloading Heroes HD Season 2 Episode 1 to see how it plays on my iMac G5 2.1 GHz, and sync to my iPhone.

If it doesn't work when you do it after agreeing to the Terms, delete it and re-add it. Even though it will still be dimmed out, it will download when you click Buy Now.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow, only 99 cents to have a chunk of my brain removed by the A-Team.

Too funny! I just watched the "Family Guy" parody of the A-Team and that is also classic TV at its best!
  • Reply 50 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Here nbc, eat up!

• Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

iTunes is also smart enough to figure out if you have a computer capable of playing HD content. Following the link you referenced, HD content requires a Dual Core processor at 2.0 GHz or faster (which should mean a Dual or Quad G5, or Dual or Quad Intel). I added the HD version of Heroes freebie episode and downloaded it. The resulting file was the SD version, noted by the specs 853 x 480.

On the other hand, the Shopping Cart did say Unavailable for the HD version, so maybe that is why it only downloaded the SD version. However, I added the SD version and the resulting file in the Shopping Cart was the HD version, noting Unavailable. Very strange indeed.

I did test the Preview to see if it could play the HD version on my iMac G5 2.1 GHz, and visually it was impressive, however, it could not play the required frame rate and skipped significantly.

If HD content does require a 2.0 GHz or faster Dual Core CPU, those MacBook Air owners will be pretty upset. However, they knew they were buying slower CPU's compared to the regular Mac offerings. The 1.6 and 1.8 GHz MacBook Airs are slower than the Dual Core G5's.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Hulu is actually a good site, but they shouldn't have axed their relationship with iTunes.

They should have worked with Apple to get Hulu on AppleTV rather than bickering about the price of the shows. Apple had already set the price for online download sales and any other outlet would have to meet or beat Apple's to be successful. On the other hand they could have spent the past year working with Apple to get their Hulu shows streaming to AppleTV with some form of ticker to use as a guide to charge advertisers, cut Apple in on part of the ad revenue. This would have been good for the networks and good for Apple in their efforts to change the AppleTV from a Hobby to a trend setting product with the potential to change the industry the way that the iPod changed the music industry.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Apple will never permit Hulu on Apple TV

Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

They should have worked with Apple to get Hulu on AppleTV rather than bickering about the price of the shows. Apple had already set the price for online download sales and any other outlet would have to meet or beat Apple's to be successful. On the other hand they could have spent the past year working with Apple to get their Hulu shows streaming to AppleTV with some form of ticker to use as a guide to charge advertisers, cut Apple in on part of the ad revenue. This would have been good for the networks and good for Apple in their efforts to change the AppleTV from a Hobby to a trend setting product with the potential to change the industry the way that the iPod changed the music industry.

• Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post

Apple will never permit Hulu on Apple TV

That may be true but Apple should open the Apple TV up to other content providers. It would be great and improve the Apple TV take up if NBC, NetFlixs and the BBC could each put their player onto the Apple TV and stream content directly to the Apple TV.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:

We'll know shortly if The Office and Heroes TV Shows are being sold for more than standard price.

The fact they dropped Journeyman and blamed the writer's strike really shows how lame NBC Universal is and has become with Zucker.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The fact they dropped Journeyman and blamed the writer's strike really shows how lame NBC Universal is and has become with Zucker.

WHAT!? I like that shpw and was waiting for its return.

edit: I just checked some other new shows and New Amsterdam was canceled too. It was a FOX show, also quick to cancel a show before it get ground. I need my stories!
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Quote:

I think making some "HD only" for a set period might be the deal Apple and NBC made which keeps the prices in line but allows NBC to get 50% more per show for new and popular items.

The shows are not HD only - the SD version is a rather hidden link. Gosh I finally downloaded the first 10 episodes of BSG in HD, whoops 15 Gigs.

HD episodes are 3times the size of SD...