iPod 2.1 offers promise for Friday's 'big' iPhone software update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday will unleash iPhone Software v2.1, a major bug fix release for all iPhone owners that will include a number of other improvements that iPod touch users are discovering as part of yesterday's similarly number iPod touch update.

"The [iPhone] 2.1 software update is a big update. It fixes lots of bugs," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "You'll get fewer call drops; you'll get significantly improved battery life for most customers."

In addition, Jobs said the update will patch a number of bugs related to third-party App Store applications, namely crashes experienced by those users who've installed a large number of apps. Backing up to iTunes will be "dramatically faster," he added.

Meanwhile, some of the other "great new performance enhancements" that Jobs alluded to, but did not describe, are being discovered by first-generation iPod touch owners who've just installed iPod touch 2.1, which will be very similar to Friday's free iPhone Software 2.1 update.

One AppleInsider forum member remarked that he was "blown away" by the speed at which App Store applications are able to update themselves after applying the 2.1 update. The process seemed to have sped up fivefold, he said. What's more, icons of updated applications now retain their pre-set position on the Touch's home screen, rather than being thrust to the end of the home screen, where they previously needed to be forcibly repositioned by the user.

Another forum member notes that a second line of information, containing artist and album info, is visible when viewing songs. The responsiveness of the iPod application has also seen improvements, and a longer scrub bar makes it easier to scan through songs, he said. The app's 'shuffle' and 'continuous play' buttons have also been repositioned.

Separately, Wired has highlighted changes to the iPod app's Podcast manager. A completely filled blue dot next to a podcast subscription serves as a notification that a new episode is available, while a half dot means that a user hasn't finished listening to a particular episode.

AppleInsider will provide full coverage of Apple's iPhone 2.1 software on Friday afternoon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This update may end the numerous lawsuits out there about Apple's performance promises of the iPhone 3G.

Too many trigger happy lawyers eyeballing Apple's pile of cash.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Welcome fixes indeed. And the backup speed is phenomenal relative to the previous performance.

I still wish the new Genius recommendation feature was available on the mobile iTunes store though. It's the single most useful part of the update for me, but it can only be used from home.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    I can finally got buy my iPhone. I was not going to buy it until Apple released this update.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    I just want to know if this 2.1 update will fix the "update" application bug. I have a bunch of apps that I've tried updating but continually iTunes says that there has been an error. Because of this (especially for the paid apps), I have been very hesitant of updating anything.

The only workaround that I've seen online is to completely remove the app both on the phone and iTunes which works but is a huge pain in the butt.

Any comments on this?
  • Reply 5 of 92
    I really get excited when Apple announces new products. I think most of us will really be reading everything we can get our hands on when the next big thing is announced (tablet, DVR, or something we don't even know about yet). But, it is the little things that Apple does that really make me happy. The 1/2 blue dot for podcasts I haven't finished listening to is great. Sure most of the time I probably won't need this, but it just makes me happy to know its there.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Can anyone with a 2.1 Touch comment on the lag that was present if you had a large contact list?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This update may end the numerous lawsuits out there about Apple's performance promises of the iPhone 3G.

Too many trigger happy lawyers eyeballing Apple's pile of cash.

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    I'm in the middle of a multi-hour iPhone backup as I read this. I'll be thrilled if this is fixed!
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MatthewGavin View Post

I can finally got buy my iPhone. I was not going to buy it until Apple released this update.

You do realise by delaying your purchase you've missed all the fun.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Can anyone with a 2.1 Touch comment on the lag that was present if you had a large contact list?

I used to have a little lag (with around 120 contacts), now it's nearly instantaneous.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Spoken like a true liberalist that has probably never worked a single day in corporate America or for any large company at all. The previous lawsuits were absurd (if you even bothered to read them and had half a brain you'd notice that). Should I sue because my car doesn't get the MPG it said I would? It's an estimation, people want everything now for nothing and when they don't get their hopes & dreams satisfied (like that's even possible) they sue. America has gotten way out of hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

• Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Spoken like a true liberalist that has probably never worked a single day in corporate America or for any large company at all. The previous lawsuits were absurd (if you even bothered to read them and had half a brain you'd notice that). Should I sue because my car doesn't get the MPG it said I would? It's an estimation, people want everything now for nothing and when they don't get their hopes & dreams satisfied (like that's even possible) they sue. America has gotten way out of hand.

Ugh, can we please not make this a political debate? Please.

OT: Any comment on "updates" to 3rd party app error? Is it still around?
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

The level of varriance from the estimates is the issue here:

If a car said 20MPG and you got 17 ot 18, that is likely acceptable, if you got 7 or 8, that is not acceptable, and if the car manufacturer will not correct it, and many millions of unikts have the same issue, that is what this type of law is all about. It shouldnt be about getting rich which it sometimes is, sadly. but really it is the ultimate and final line of consumer protection.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Quote:

Do you REALLY believe that Apple would not have fixed the problems if none of the lawsuits were filed? If you do I have a bridge to sell you. It takes time to figure out what the issues are. I'd rather have Apple finding the problem than sending out press releases with un-founded information.

Some people are just so cynical.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Do you REALLY this that Apple would not have fixed the problems if none of the lawsuits were filed? If you do I have a bridge to sell you. It takes time to figure out what the issues are. I'd rather have Apple finding the problem than sending out press releases with un-founded information.

All I am saying is they denied denied denied until the first suit was filed, then they said "oh shit, fix in Sept! we promise!"
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:

Did Apple deny the bugs I can't remember reading any denials Please correct me if i'm wrong

To be honest i have not had too bad an experience with my 3G unlike some unlucky buyers. As an Apple/Mac product user for many many moons i have always been satisfied with how quickly they have fixed bugs.

On saying that i have seen a progressive increase in buggy software over the years as Apples business has multiplied. Even some hardware issue's have caught me out lately and i've invested in a lot of that over the years.

I guess it's part and parcel of playing in the same arena with the big boys \
  • Reply 17 of 92
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

The level of varriance from the estimates is the issue here:

If a car said 20MPG and you got 17 ot 18, that is likely acceptable, if you got 7 or 8, that is not acceptable, and if the car manufacturer will not correct it, and many millions of unikts have the same issue, that is what this type of law is all about. It shouldnt be about getting rich which it sometimes is, sadly. but really it is the ultimate and final line of consumer protection.

It is software. I think everyone knows Apple would have corrected this stuff regardless as they do with Leopard and every OS before it. Otherwise, they would not be in business very long would they? It is absurd to believe or even think Apple would have let the iPhone go on with so much trouble with the high profile gadget.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:

While I agree with you in principle, I don't necessarily think this was the case with the iPhone. The problem seems to be that in the Apple-world, Apple itself is very quiet and everyone else is very noisy. And it's hard to really know what is true and what just came fresh from the ass of some random blogger.

For example, when did Apple actually deny that there were any problems with the iPhone? As far as I can remember, they really didn't say much about it. AT&T issued some press releases about how the iPhone was working well on their network and problems only affected 1% of the iPhones out there. (Which, by the way, may or may not be true... but in the internet echo-chamber there is no longer any such thing as a 'small percentage' of users)

joe
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:

Do you REALLY believe that Apple would not have fixed the problems if none of the lawsuits were filed? If you do I have a bridge to sell you. It takes time to figure out what the issues are. I'd rather have Apple finding the problem than sending out press releases with un-founded information.

Man I hear this all over the Apple discussion boards also. Everything is a conspiracy! Everything is done on purpose to get my money! Yes both Apple and AT&T are companies that try to make money. Is that hard to understand? What benefit would Apple gain by not updating/bug fix there products? They didn't do it because a few complained. They would of done it anyway in order to make their product better and to stay ahead of the competition. After spending millions of dollars and countless man hours developing a product, there're not just going to cut and run for a quick buck.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:

I agree!! After all are we not Beta testers? And without the feedback there's nothing to fix right!!

In my experience Apple users tend to be rational people but i'm seeing a lot more anger over bugs than ever before.

Do you think it's because there's a lot more M$ users switching over and maybe didn't expect Apple to have bugs? Maybe high expectations have been lowered somewhat.

I mean us die-hards do tend to get a little over enthusiastic about Apple don't we? Maybe we've oversold ourselves this time