iTunes 8 offers collective Genius for playlists, HD TV, visual browser

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

What I don't get is why apple hasn't added the coverflow from the ipods to itunes. I want full itunes cover flow instead of half screen, I want to scroll to an album, flip it over and play the tracks on the back. Why everything but itunes can do that I don't know.

You essentially have that functionality now with Grid view. Set it to Albums mode and now you scroll through and drill down. It's like CoverFlow minus that snazzy graphics.

While I initially felt the same way as you, questioning why they don't just offer the iPhone/iPod touch CoverFlow with album art that flips around to show the associated tracks, the truth is iTunes' CoverFlow requires one less step. When you scroll to one of the albums in CoverFlow in iTunes, the list below automatically scrolls to the first song of that album. That's much quicker than having to flip around each album cover to view a list, hit play, flip it back around, scroll to another album, flip it, play song...you get the point.

But in Full Screen mode, where that list is not visible, flip-around album covers would be nice.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I can only speak for myself but I really like the new iTunes views. I'm guessing that's what Finder will be like in 10.6.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Did you actually download and use iTunes 8? The links I was talking about only appeared when something was selected and they were subtle at that. The link that appears on the play list brings up two options, iMix or Gift in a little pop-up window when clicked. The links for each song only appear when a song is selected or playing/paused.

I don't get why you're complaining about these links, which you presume to inject clutter into the interface (they really don't) and then have issues with the less cluttered preferences pane.

I haven't seen the links - maybe someone could post a screenshot? They sound obtrusive to me, and annoying - every time a song is selected or is playing, the links show up? That means they follow your movements around. Sounds ugly, and clutterish. I'll use iMix or Gift.

My comments about the preferences had nothing to do with clutter - the problem is if Apple has taken away options for managing or viewing the library. There's no problem if the preferences have just been moved around, but people have pointed out a couple that are missing (though changeable through terminal - thanks for those posts).
  • Reply 44 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Hmmm. Seems like a huge chunk of my artists are missing in the browse mode now. Looks like they are being grouped under "Compilations" instead of their own names.

My backup library on iTunes 7.7.1 shows 334 artists, but iTunes 8.0 only shows 182 artists. "Compilations" has mysteriously appeared at the top of the "Artists" column.

Time to go log a bug report

That's strange - it seems like you can't browse to all the artists easily anymore. If all your Rolling Stones songs (for example) are on compilations, there's no listing for Rolling Stones in the "Artists" column? That's not encouraging.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    iTunes 8 is available for download now

[ Installation Guide ]
  • Reply 46 of 70
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Hmmm it's a minor thing, but I don't like how the miniplayer now goes white when not active but in always on foreground mode. In iTunes 7 it stayed dark grey all the time, now it turns light grey when not active. I prefered the old way... anybody know a defaults write teminal commando?
  • Reply 47 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Is it me or is the 'genius' feature a gimmick? Looks like a feature thrown in to stimulate sales of music and perhaps appeal to the RIAA.

I guess I feel like I'm quite capable of creating my own playlists.

You think? If the Apple Tv is basically an iTunes Digital Jukebox I would bet that this its main purpose. I think everybody basically shut off the "May I recommend Store" feature on iTunes 7 and this is a ploy to get you to activate it again.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    Hopefully a lot of these features get written into Take3 for Apple TV.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrankenSigns.biz View Post

Genius doesn't work with Beatles songs!?!

thats not all it doesn't work with! hence my "suckage" post earlier that got ignored.

too frikken cluttered altogether, I was looking forward to the recommendations...

it seems to work with all the sixties stuff though APPART from the Beatles and a load of stuff available on iTMS, all stuff I'm sure Steve made sure would work.

the "Genius" better get frikken smarter PDQ!
  • Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

thats not all it doesn't work with! hence my "suckage" post earlier that got ignored.

too frikken cluttered altogether, I was looking forward to the recommendations...

it seems to work with all the sixties stuff though APPART from the Beatles and a load of stuff available on iTMS, all stuff I'm sure Steve made sure would work.

the "Genius" better get frikken smarter PDQ!

Don't tell me the "Genius" is acting like a "Guru"!
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I haven't seen the links - maybe someone could post a screenshot? They sound obtrusive to me, and annoying - every time a song is selected or is playing, the links show up? That means they follow your movements around. Sounds ugly, and clutterish. I'll use iMix or Gift.

My comments about the preferences had nothing to do with clutter - the problem is if Apple has taken away options for managing or viewing the library. There's no problem if the preferences have just been moved around, but people have pointed out a couple that are missing (though changeable through terminal - thanks for those posts).

Here's what those links look like:

Song selected or playing/paused...

Playlist selected...

Clicking the Playlist's link brings up this dialog box...

And if you're interested, the Genius Sidebar (which only works when a song is selected; if you're just playing a song, it doesn't display any results):

When nothing is selected...

When a song is selected (note: the little music notes next to each recommended song in the Genius Sidebar can be clicked to play a 30sec preview of the given song)...

When a song is playing, but nothing is selected...

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iTunes 8 also features new icon-based views of music and video libraries, new 3D music visualizers, and adds high definition TV programing to the iTunes Store, including new HD content from NBC Universal networks.

On a 1 month-old iMac with blazing fast connection, I had a less than perfect experience last night. Purchased The Office Season 4 in HD, and watched as machine froze 6 times en route to downloading all the files. Seemed to straighten-out once I disabled simultaneous downloading and let iTunes focus on 1 at a time.

So happy Pam is back in my life...
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

On a 1 month-old iMac with blazing fast connection, I had a less than perfect experience last night. Purchased The Office Season 4 in HD, and watched as machine froze 6 times en route to downloading all the files. Seemed to straighten-out once I disabled simultaneous downloading and let iTunes focus on 1 at a time.

So happy Pam is back in my life...

iTunes Servers would have been swamped last night with testing of the iTS new Genius feature, the video podcast of yesterday's event, the dozen or so free HD TV shows you can DL, all the people wanting to simply buy HD TV shows, and all the normal traffic.

My podcast of the event stopping installing last night and the 404 error wouldn't restart it again. I had to delete what I had and go grab it again from the podcast directory. Maybe something was wrong with it.

This version of iTunes seems pretty stable for a x.0.0 release from Apple. Plus, the staggering of the HW and SW releases either means that someone didn't get their stuff together in time or that Apple has learned to stagger their releases after the 3G debacle.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Here's what those links look like:

Hope that helps.

Thanks for those screenshots. It's kind of odd - if I have a track, why is there a link to the iTunes store to buy that track? Maybe so I can buy it as a gift, but how often would most people use that? I feel like it's Apple adding contextual ads to my iTunes window. A simple preference to turn off the links would make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 55 of 70
    This Genius feature just seems made for a subscription service.
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

This Genius feature just seems made for a subscription service.

That is an excellent point! I wonder if they patented this to prevent MS from adopting it.

PS: at your location. Coincidentally, I'm guessing, the Mulder character was often alluded to having some bizarre sexual habits and I think was predicted as dying from auto-erotic asphyxiation.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Damn. I was hoping the fixed the artist vs album-artist SNAFU.

Browse should operate off of album-artist, not artist. (Fall back to artist if album artist isn't filled in for an individual track)

That way, you could actually list multiple artists for each song without ending up with a billion single entries in the artist pane. It is mind boggling that they haven't fixed this yet.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Damn. I was hoping the fixed the artist vs album-artist SNAFU.

Browse should operate off of album-artist, not artist. (Fall back to artist if album artist isn't filled in for an individual track)

That way, you could actually list multiple artists for each song without ending up with a billion single entries in the artist pane. It is mind boggling that they haven't fixed this yet.

Submit it to Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Turned off the Genius. A few seconds with it convinced me that it was something I'm never going to use.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    When i click on a song and then click the Genius icon at the bottom of the screen it says this;

Genius is unavailable for the song "Where The Streets Have No Name". Choosing Update Genius from the Store Menu will update your Genius results. If, after updating, iTunes is still unable to identify this track, please choose another song or artist.

I have tried other songs and artists, same result. Interesting none result indeed!