Partitioning with OS X, a good or a bad thing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
How many schools of thought are there on that these days?

Should one partition? The 3 "Restore" disks that I had to run off first with my Ti did not partition, obviously.

Does partitioning have (great) advantages? Any experiences/advice to share?

I intend to use 9 natively *a fair* bit for the time being.

Thanks already.

- T.I.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I found partitioning to be of great assistance in OS 9. In X there really is no need, except for having separate disks to start systems from if one would become corrupt.

I have mine partitioned right now, but would rather just have one disk for using X. But since there's no way to merge partitioned disks without losing data...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    But does this mean that *everything* will work in Classic? I must admit to being a little confused there. Thanks.

- T.I.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>But does this mean that *everything* will work in Classic? I must admit to being a little confused there. Thanks.

- T.I.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IM not sure I exatly understand what you mean by this, but yes, I have 2 partitions on my iBook (one is just 2GB with MacOS 9 and backup / repair utils iin case my main one fries). I also have MacOS 9 installed on my main HD.

My classic apps work fine and if I boot into 9 everything works the way it is supposed to.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have had no problems having everything on one partition. Plus, I don't have to worry about how I divvy up the hard drive. I get to use every bit of it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    My HDs are partitioned and I don't really see any need for it with OS X. With OS 9 it was nice to have a "maintenance" partition, where I could boot from it and run norton and techtoolpro on the main system partition. But OS X doesn't seem to need the sort of maintenance that OS 9 did.

OS X and OS 9 play together so nicely that there is no need to separate the two on different partitions.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

IM not sure I exatly understand what you mean by this, but yes, I have 2 partitions on my iBook (one is just 2GB with MacOS 9 and backup / repair utils iin case my main one fries). I also have MacOS 9 installed on my main HD.

My classic apps work fine and if I boot into 9 everything works the way it is supposed to.</strong><hr></blockquote>Hi Zo,

how are yer gettin' on with the ??

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Basically I am wondering if there is an(y) advantage in running Photoshop6 and Office 2001 natively from an OS 9 partition, although I do get the impression from the other replies here that it may be a waste of time/space to have a separate partition.

Thanks everyone for the input.

- T.I.