Steve Jobs on iPods, Macs, new Microsoft ads, and Apple stock (video)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When asked in a television interview what he thought of Microsoft's new television ad featuring Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld, Steve Jobs could only muster an "uhhhm." He had a bit more to say on the state of the iPod, Mac, and Apple's stock performance.

In the interview with CNBC's Jim Goldman Tuesday following his presentation of new iPods, Jobs acknowledged that the third-generation iPod nano "fatboy" released last year wasn't as well received as the two models that preceded it, which prompted the player's return to a more vertical form-factor this year.

"It was very clear to us that customers preferred the vertical form-factor for their iPods. That was the first- and second-generation," he said. "The third-generation we went to a squarish design so we could fit in a really high-res screen. And we managed to do both in this [fourth-generation iPod nano]."

Jobs also defended his decision to focus exclusively on Apple's music business on Tuesday, adding that the invite for the event was intended to drive a message Wall Street and industry followers who may have been hoping for announcements related to the company's Mac line.

"Between what we introduced in iPods and the new iTunes 8 with the Genius playlist feature; we had a lot to talk about today," he said. "And..., you know, the invite we sent out said Let's Rock!. So we were trying to...you know..."

Asked if he's surprised at the continued success of his company's computer business, Jobs commented that he believes the Mac has reached a "tipping point" thanks to consumers who are finally looking at the systems as a viable alternative to Windows.

"The other interesting that's happening is that people used to buy a computer for home because they used it at work," he said. "But now, there's enough momentum in Mac in the home that they're starting to say, 'why can't I use this easy to use computer at work too.'"

In the 7 minute interview, Jobs also discusses some of the company's recent missteps, his expectations for the upcoming iPhone 2.1 software update, and the performance of Apple's shares. Although Goldman agreed not to address speculation about Jobs' health on camera, he was allowed to ask him a question in passing about the matter off camera.

"I'm doing fine, really," Jobs said, throwing out an off-hand remark that all recent rumors and speculation over his well-being were spawned by "hedge funds with a big short position in Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    aapl shares are on SALE - get them while they're cheap!!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

"And..., you know, the invite we sent out said Let's Rock!. So we were trying to...you know..."

....and you have Jack Johnson perform? Wasn't Pat Boone available?

Whatever!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    You know with all the hickups and glitches I'm still hard pressed to ever switch over to the dark side. SJ's attitude, as well as Apples sleek products will keep me on board for another 25 years. Nice little interview; you've gotta love this guy.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    1 . Steve looks very gaunt, needs some Weight Gain 4000.

2. I've been an Apple shareholder for 3 years now and it befuddles me when that they continue to make the most innovative products, continue to blow quarterly numbers out of the box and the stock somehow goes down? There is not a better cell phone on the market, not even close.

Well, I think that this time next year the stock will either split or be at $260 dollars.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    For anybody that ever says they regret not buying Apple shares "...back when", prepare to curse yourself again if you miss the opportunity now.

The hedge funds are having enough trouble with liquidating commodities, all it will take is a little good news and it should see at least a $30 bounce. As it stands now, people are starting to liquidate the short interests slowly.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inolikeai View Post

I find it strange that the video gives the impression that it's an Apple Insider video. Note the Apple Insider watermark on the bottom left. Typical AI behavior.

I don't think CNBC will take too kindly to this. The entire web page capture and screen shots have been sent to CNBC.

Oh boo hoo.

Anyway, yeah nice interview, the interviewer was good enough, some stupid questions in there as usual. Come on dude, you're sitting with one of the greatest technological pioneers of our time and you ask "Do you think these will sell?"...

Jimzip
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Jeez, an interviewer from the "let's see if I can make this question sound as inane as possible AND be longer than the answer." Awful questions, though handled well by SJ.

gc
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Notice how Steves head appears to be floating...kinda creepy.

Benefits of wearing black, I guess.

That interviewer was terrrible.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I feel like such an Apple fanboy saying this, but I think the new ad with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates is markedly unfunny. I'm a 23-year-old, so I'm fairly certain I'm within their target audience, and I don't get it at all.

I have a real appreciation for CP+B (the agency doing all the new Microsoft advertising), and have been looking forward to these ads for some time. So far, very disappointing.

Does anyone else feel the same?

--Aaron
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I wonder if his PR people made him get that spray tan.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

I wonder if his PR people made him get that spray tan.

With a profile named "solsun' you must be appalled.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I'm 35, and I thought they were pretty stupid, too. But then, I've never bought a copy of Windows and only bought MS Office when my company offered the full Mac version for home use for $20, so I doubt this campaign was targeted to sway me.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    That politician explained it yesterday. "putting lipstick on a pig (e.g. Vista) ......... but its still a pig....". But instead of lipstick looks like they are putting shoes on the pig.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msb0014 View Post

I've been an Apple shareholder for 3 years now and it befuddles me when that they continue to make the most innovative products, continue to blow quarterly numbers out of the box and the stock somehow goes down?

Because in the beginning the stock market was a way for individuals and companies to invest in other companies. Way back when you knew the company, who ran it and what their core business was. Now it is all about day traders. They don't care who the company is, who is running the company or what the core business is. It is all about the voodoo metrics and making a quick buck.

What used to be a sound way to invest money has become nothing more than nationally sanctioned gambling. It is no different than poker, craps or betting on the horse race. What a shame

You should read how some of the wealthy individuals who survived the Great Depression. One of them gave an account of how one day he was in an elevator and the attendant was giving a maintenance worker a stock tip and bragging how much money he was making. This wealthy individual sold off all his stock three days later. He reasoned that if every Tom, Dick and Harry was making money then it was nothing more than gambling. Sure enough, a week later was Black Tuesday. Having survived with his cash intact, he was able to buy real estate on the cheap. It was an amazing story.

It makes one think ...
  • Reply 15 of 39
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Sure enough, a week later was Black Tuesday. Having survived with his cash intact, he was able to buy real estate on the cheap.

That rich guy was Joe Kennedy - and I hope that he didn't start buying right away, because asset values continued to drop for three years following the crash.

But Apple is a screaming buy right now - I have 16% of my portfolio in Apple stock and I am thinking of buying more.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I feel like such an Apple fanboy saying this, but I think the new ad with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates is markedly unfunny. I'm a 23-year-old, so I'm fairly certain I'm within their target audience, and I don't get it at all.

I have a real appreciation for CP+B (the agency doing all the new Microsoft advertising), and have been looking forward to these ads for some time. So far, very disappointing.

Does anyone else feel the same?

--Aaron

I saw the commercial for the first time last night. In all seriousness, I felt like I was watching Grumpy Old Men. Not that they were grumpy, but Gates and Seinfeld both looked very old. Unless they are trying to market Windows to retirees, they are way off the mark.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Because in the beginning the stock market was a way for individuals and companies to invest in other companies. Way back when you knew the company, who ran it and what their core business was. Now it is all about day traders. They don't care who the company is, who is running the company or what the core business is. It is all about the voodoo metrics and making a quick buck.

What used to be a sound way to invest money has become nothing more than nationally sanctioned gambling. It is no different than poker, craps or betting on the horse race. What a shame

You should read how some of the wealthy individuals who survived the Great Depression. One of them gave an account of how one day he was in an elevator and the attendant was giving a maintenance worker a stock tip and bragging how much money he was making. This wealthy individual sold off all his stock three days later. He reasoned that if every Tom, Dick and Harry was making money then it was nothing more than gambling. Sure enough, a week later was Black Tuesday. Having survived with his cash intact, he was able to buy real estate on the cheap. It was an amazing story.

It makes one think ...

Thanks for an excellent explanation. Sadly I agree totally and now I can show your notes to my wife who berates me for having so much AAPL stock, much bought at <50 believing in a decade it will be 500+. I too believed in the long haul and am exasperated to see the negative reaction of investors to one of the best companies out there.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

....and you have Jack Johnson perform? Wasn't Pat Boone available?

Whatever!

Ha ha, seriously.

When I saw Jack Johnson at the "Let's Rock" event, I thought of Futurama:

Fry: "So, I really am important? How I feel when I'm drunk is correct?"

Nibblonian 1: "Yes. Except the Dave Matthews Band doesn't rock."

Jack Johnson may "rock" as a person, or as performer of acoustic pop, but Jack Johnson does not "rock" in any musical sense.

At least Pat Boone did a metal tribute album, for christ's sake.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lanky Nibbs View Post

Jack Johnson may "rock" as a person, or as performer of acoustic pop, but Jack Johnson does not "rock" in any musical sense.

Good news everybody! Jack Johnson rocks the iTS sales.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    I wonder why Steve Jobs missed the moment to speak about how stupid that new Microsoft commercial is? I guess he's older now because a younger Steve Jobs would have handled it something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzKj-1HaKw