Apple notebook overhaul rumored for mid-October

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple may be planning to hold its final media gathering of the year a little over a month from now to usher in much anticipated overhauls to its MacBook line of notebook computers, according to a new report.



In his write-up of Apple's music announcements this week, Daring Fireball's John Gruber said sources "familiar with Apple’s hardware plans" have informed him that the company's new line of Mac notebooks will arrive on Tuesday, October 14th.



While Gruber is not a traditional source of Apple rumors, his predictions do fall in line with a recent hardware roadmap published by AppleInsider, which suggested that redesigned MacBook and MacBook Pros would come weeks after the company's iPod announcements.



Beyond that, Apple also holds a refresh to its iMac line of all-in-one desktop computers that have been described to AppleInsider as more of a series of speed bumps than major design overhauls.



Apple has in recent years used smaller gatherings on its Cupertino-based campus -- specifically the Apple Town Hall auditorium -- to set a more intimate setting for its Mac-related announcements.





«13456789

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 177
    Ugh....
  • Reply 2 of 177
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

    ...will arrive on Tuesday, October 14th.





    Calling Jack Skellington.
  • Reply 3 of 177
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Mini ???
  • Reply 4 of 177
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Option a blu-ray drive to the iMac already.
  • Reply 5 of 177
    Any news of the Mini? The story that never was!



    Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 177
    Like the iPod event, don't expect too much and be wary of analysts bearing overoptimistic estimates.
  • Reply 7 of 177
    Hopefully Steve Jobs will have figured out immortality by then, prompting all these hedge funds to clean up their short positions.
  • Reply 8 of 177
    Any speculation of what gpu they would use in the next macbook pro taking into consideration form factor, heat, and battery life?
  • Reply 9 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    ? Will this be a complete redesign or just a refresh to Montevina?

    ? Will the notebooks be getting the SFF package of the typical package size?

    ? Will the iMacs be getting a desktop grade Montevina/Penryn now that the TPD is lowered?

    ? Will the Mac Mini be refreshed, retired or redesigned?

    ? Will the Mac Pro be refreshed or redesigned?

    ? Will the dynamic feedback trackpad come to fruition?

    ? Will the MB get a backlit keyboard?

    ? Will the optical drive be made external (included with purchase, of course)?

    ? Will Apple offer an SSD option for the MBP?

    ? Will Apple offer SSD boot disk option for the Mac Pro and Xserve?

    ? Will Intel's X-25 SSDs be ready available by next month?
  • Reply 10 of 177
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Mmm good, a big fat bowl of speculation ... enjoy.
  • Reply 11 of 177
    Finally some decent computer news....you all know Apple started as a computer company? Right?
  • Reply 12 of 177
    rumor rumor and more rumor... tiring...



    if everyone agreed sep going to be music (ipod) event, there will be less speculation, less rumor, less stress
  • Reply 13 of 177
    Prices on all the above.



    But can't get too aggressive, Steve's not ready yet to put Michael out of business.
  • Reply 14 of 177
    My predictions:



    - Chipset bump

    - Price drops across the board

    - Unified styling in Aluminium, new style keyboards

    - Another machine in the Air range, possibly a smaller one or a faster one

    - Enhancements at the top end like > 4GB memory, possibly Quad core

    - bigger touch pads with gestures ala AIr



    Things we are not going to see:



    - 3G laptops

    - Tablets

    - Midi Mac Pro



    Maybe:



    - GPS
  • Reply 15 of 177
    what ever happened to the september production transition that will introduce "revolutionary new products at a pricepoint competetors can't match that will result in substantially lower margins and quarterly earnings"???
  • Reply 16 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post


    what ever happened to the september production transition that will introduce "revolutionary new products at a pricepoint competetors can't match that will result in substantially lower margins and quarterly earnings"???



    Obviously they're taking a bath on the new iPods, or were they referring to the next quarter?
  • Reply 17 of 177
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post


    rumor rumor and more rumor... tiring...



    if everyone agreed sep going to be music (ipod) event, there will be less speculation, less rumor, less stress



    Umm you are on a Rumor site. LOL
  • Reply 18 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post


    Obviously they're taking a bath on the new iPods, or were they referring to the next quarter?



    There is nothing about the new iPods that changes their margins. In fact, Wu today said the new iPods won't be a hit to their margins.



    If you calculate the numbers Apple said about their guidance, the margin impact would have to be HUGE and impact huge volumes of some product. Not just a few weeks of iPod sales.
  • Reply 19 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post


    There is nothing about the new iPods that changes their margins. In fact, Wu today said the new iPods won't be a hit to their margins.



    If you calculate the numbers Apple said about their guidance, the margin impact would have to be HUGE and impact huge volumes of some product. Not just a few weeks of iPod sales.



    Well then either our rumour monger is full of shit, or they changed their mind about September and moved it to October. It wouldn't affect this quarter that much anyway.



    I'm a little shakey on the timing anyway, care to help us out here? You seem well informed.
  • Reply 20 of 177
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will this be a complete redesign or just a refresh to Montevina?



    It better be the former or I'm going to be pissed



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the notebooks be getting the SFF package [or] the typical package size?



    Normal



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the iMacs be getting a desktop grade Montevina/Penryn now that the TPD is lowered?



    Maybe. Although quite a few "desktop" Intels already have TDPs equal to or lower than the G5 and Apple doesn't use them.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the Mac Mini be refreshed, retired or redesigned?



    xMac, xMac, xMac! Only joking! Probably a silent refresh at some point.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the Mac Pro be refreshed or redesigned?



    Refreshed.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the dynamic feedback trackpad come to fruition?



    You what?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the MB get a backlit keyboard?



    No



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will the optical drive be made external (included with purchase, of course)?



    No



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will Apple offer an SSD option for the MBP?



    Maybe



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will Apple offer SSD boot disk option for the Mac Pro and Xserve?



    Doubtful



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    — Will Intel's X-25 SSDs be ready available by next month?



    Dunno.
Sign In or Register to comment.