annoying -- no comand h in adobe carbon apps

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
anyone else noticed that adobe has not used command h to hide an application? its a seriously neat keyboard command, especially as i tend to have plenty of apps running and need to switch between them.

anyone know what command will hide an adobe carbon app?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mac gurumac guru Posts: 367member
    Option-click on the desktop.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

<strong>anyone else noticed that adobe has not used command h to hide an application? its a seriously neat keyboard command, especially as i tend to have plenty of apps running and need to switch between them.

anyone know what command will hide an adobe carbon app?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or use any of the Dock hiding key combinations (option-click, command-option-click) when clicking on the Dock icon.

But good point -- Adobe has to bite the bullet, reassign their command-H command to something else, and get with the OS X program.

They'll do it... eventually.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Might be because command+H hide edges in Illustrator
  • Reply 4 of 10
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I thought it hid edges in Photoshop as well. I far prefer it do that than hide the app.

Now if only the freekin' regular key combos would work when using the dvorak-qwerty layout.

It was hard enough relearning how to type, but having to relearn key combos as well!?!

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Get ASM (available from VersionTracker). You can set this nifty Preference Panel such that it always hides everything but your frontmost app when you switch.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>I thought it hid edges in Photoshop as well. I far prefer it do that than hide the app.

Now if only the freekin' regular key combos would work when using the dvorak-qwerty layout.

It was hard enough relearning how to type, but having to relearn key combos as well!?!

-Ender</strong><hr></blockquote>

There is a keyboard setting for that the icon is "dq" as opposed to "dv"....
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I'm glad it doesn't, I shudder to think of how many times Adobe has changed the hot key combinations in their products.. and it's a real nuisance when you've gotten used to them over the years. Most recent one I recall in Photoshop, among many others, was the hot key to feather a selection.

Bare Bones wrote about this in one of the BBEdit ReadMe files... about why they chose not to remap what command-H does, and I think they're in the right.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I'm glad it doesn't, I shudder to think of how many times Adobe has changed the hot key combinations in their products.. and it's a real nuisance when you've gotten used to them over the years. Most recent one I recall in Photoshop, among many others, was the hot key to feather a selection.

Bare Bones wrote about this in one of the BBEdit ReadMe files... about why they chose not to remap what command-H does, and I think they're in the right.</strong><hr></blockquote>

GoLive hides using cmd-H and PS7/IR7 will too - but you will be able to choose original shortcuts instead of the new ones.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

GoLive hides using cmd-H and PS7/IR7 will too - but you will be able to choose original shortcuts instead of the new ones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've never used GoLive, so I don't know if command-H was ever a hot key before... but I know that Illustrator X doesn't support Command-H for hiding the application, and there is no option to do it in the preferences. I asked a buddy of mine who says he has a Photoshop 7 beta whether or not Command-H is implemented in X, and he said no, and that there isn't an option for it either.

If what you're saying is true though, would command-H be the default behaviour for hiding, or would it be defaulted to the original hot key action?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>I asked a buddy of mine who says he has a Photoshop 7 beta whether or not Command-H is implemented in X, and he said no, and that there isn't an option for it either.

If what you're saying is true though, would command-H be the default behaviour for hiding, or would it be defaulted to the original hot key action?</strong><hr></blockquote>

He must be using an old beta. It is possible to choose Use System Shortcuts if you want to and other shortcuts are applied to the ones they replace (using CTRL+the old shortcut)